IK Multimedia & Joe Satriani want to hear from you!

• Thread starter IK Multimedia
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

IK Multimedia

Sponsor
Reaction score
satriani_regular2x.jpg

Joe's given us his list of top gear.

Vote for the gear you want to see in AmpliTube Joe Satriani next year.

Guitar legend Joe Satriani knows gear. For 30 years he's used a massive collection of dream gear to create some of the most iconic guitar recordings of all time. From the wah-sculpted leads of Surfing with the Alien to the stripped-down rock of his work in Chickenfoot, he's one of an elite few guitarists with not just one signature sound, but dozens.

So when we approached him about doing a signature AmpliTube collection, he was in. The only question? What gear to model.

That's where you come in. Let us know what gear you'd like to see in the next AmpliTube. Vote daily here and you could win.

You can also show off your chops for a chance to win our guitar recording studio suite of products.

Cast your vote now and more importantly tell us why you picked your selections!

Amplifiers

Marshall JVM
Marshall Super Lead
Peavey 5150
Roland JC120
Marshall 6100
Scholz Rockman

Stomp FX

Chandler Tube Driver
BOSS DS-1
BOSS OD-1
Vox Wah
Fulltone Ultimate Octave
Dunlop 535 Wah
Echoplex
Eventide 949
Digitech Ultra Harmonizer

Cast your vote below, and check back January 16th to see what gear will be included in AmpliTube Joe Satriani.

VOTE NOW!

Click here to read more on AmpliTube

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Lukhas

Reaction score
Whichever do not exist in some way already in the software? :lol:

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
So, I'm firmly in the "real gear" camp, am absolutely not the target demographic here, and the odds of me ever buying this are miniscule.

But, I'm also a huge Satch fan, and just finished his memoir, so this is pretty timely to talk about this. I almost certainly won't buy a software modeler, but that won't stop me from offering a few suggestions here that might be helpful to other Satch fans who like recording direct and using amp VSTs.

• So much of his early work was done with a Rockman that I think this would be a pretty necessary piece of gear to include here. As a bonus, I'm not aware of any other VST models on the market.
  • Likewise, while there may be Marshall 6100 models out there that I'm just not aware of, that's another amp that is unusual in the modeler world, was used by Satch for a LONG time, and while I'm not a Marshall guy by any stretch myself, I was always rather impressed by that amp the times I got to plug into one. This could be another cool differentiator for this VST, and one that potentially could be appealing beyond just Satriani fans.
  • I was shocked to read that a lot of the guitar from Crystal Planet was cut with a 5150. There's some awesome sounding guitar on that album, and it's very different from the "typical" 5150 sound you often hear in modelers. This could be a fun option.
  • A DS-1 is pretty mandatory here - more often than not isn't his live sound just a DS-1 into a clean head?
  • I've read time and time again how he uses a pair of Chandler delays set for slightly uneven repeats (i.e - they're not equal divisions of each other) live. I'd think modeling his Chandler delays would be a pretty important part of this amp pack.
  • He, especially early on, also used to do a lot of direct in clean guitar. Modeling the preamp on one of the boards he used to record through for clean tones could be another interesting and unusual addition.

So, I guess my priorities would be the Rockman, 6100, Crystal Planet era 5150, and direct into board "amps" coupled with at least a DS1 option and his Chandler delay units. Maybe a MIDI-controllable Whammy model, too, for those Cool #9 and Raspberry Jam Delta V moments? Not sure how easy that would be to do. And please, for the love of good tone everywhere, don't model his Palmer. :lol: