I'm considering getting an RGD2127z - question

• Thread starter Santuzzo
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Santuzzo

Reaction score
I posted a thread about this guitar back a few weeks/months ago, and now I see one online store here in The Netherlands has a special 8% off campaign this weekend. :love:

Now I have only left until monday to make up my mind, cuz this is a VERY good price at 8% off, at least for over here, it's 983 Euro!

I do not really need this guitar, but I want it:nuts:

A question to those who own one: does the scale length fell much differnet compared to a 25.5" (regular Ibanez) scale? Does it take long getting used to it?

Lars

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

I_infect

Reaction score
Length doesn't feel different but the string tension does. You notice a different between say, the tension on a 1527 vs. the 2127z. The 2127 is noticeably tighter. Only takes a bit of getting used to for bends. With that said, the tone is absolutely brutal. Buy it.

Santuzzo

Reaction score
Length doesn't feel different but the string tension does. You notice a different between say, the tension on a 1527 vs. the 2127z. The 2127 is noticeably tighter. Only takes a bit of getting used to for bends. With that said, the tone is absolutely brutal. Buy it.

Thanks !

Even if you keep it in the factory tuning (whole tone below standard), is the string tension still much tighter?

I_infect

Reaction score
Stock with the factory gauge I noticed a difference. Tight, but not unbearably so. Every note is crisp. I haven't experimented with different tunings yet. But yeah, it's worth it, especially if you get a discount

Santuzzo

Reaction score
Stock with the factory gauge I noticed a difference. Tight, but not unbearably so. Every note is crisp. I haven't experimented with different tunings yet. But yeah, it's worth it, especially if you get a discount

Thanks again!

Yes, this is a time limited offer only, and only until monday, so I better make up my mind quick.
About 2 months ago the store already had a special campaign celebrating the store's 25th anniversary, then everything was 5% off, thne I was alreadt tempted to get this guitar. When the offer was over I had big regrets. This time the discount is even more, I mean 8% is really not bad!
But I already have 4 (!!!) 7's and I don't want to sell a single one of them. Still I can't help but want this one as well:wallbash:
Will GAS ever let go of me?!?! :lol:

I_infect

Reaction score
I was the same way... I went through 3 sales and finally grabbed one.

Santuzzo

Reaction score
I was the same way... I went through 3 sales and finally grabbed one.

Awesome ! GAS get's us all in the end, I guess. I also tihnk it's just a matter of time, I get this guitar now or on the next sale.

Another thing that just came to my mind about the difference in stirng tension: I just saw on the Ibanex website that it comes with a set of .010s whereas most of their other 7's have .009 stirngs on them. Maybe the difference in tension was mostly due to the string gauge difference?
Or did you put .009s on it?

I_infect

Reaction score
Awesome ! GAS get's us all in the end, I guess. I also tihnk it's just a matter of time, I get this guitar now or on the next sale.

Another thing that just came to my mind about the difference in stirng tension: I just saw on the Ibanex website that it comes with a set of .010s whereas most of their other 7's have .009 stirngs on them. Maybe the difference in tension was mostly due to the string gauge difference?
Or did you put .009s on it?

I usually run 10-60 in drop A on 25.5" scale...1527, s7320 etc. My RGD is still in A standard with the stock 10-60s, though I'd like to attempt 9-60 in drop A. IMO it's a bit tighter. Like I said it's not a bad thing, actually I think it's perfect for that tuning. Very crisp and sustains like crazy, with zero buzz. I did notice a difference though it barely affects my playing it. Try it, it's awesome.

Santuzzo

Reaction score
I usually run 10-60 in drop A on 25.5" scale...1527, s7320 etc. My RGD is still in A standard with the stock 10-60s, though I'd like to attempt 9-60 in drop A. IMO it's a bit tighter. Like I said it's not a bad thing, actually I think it's perfect for that tuning. Very crisp and sustains like crazy, with zero buzz. I did notice a difference though it barely affects my playing it. Try it, it's awesome.

Thanks, man, I appreciate your input!
I was only a bit concerned that tension would be to tight for bending.

simonXsludge

(((Ω)))
Reaction score
get this axe, man! it's killer. the fret spacing is a little wider than on 25.5 for sure, but i got used to it right away. i love every aspect of this guitar.

Santuzzo

Reaction score
shitsøn;1989205 said:
get this axe, man! it's killer. the fret spacing is a little wider than on 25.5 for sure, but i got used to it right away. i love every aspect of this guitar.

Thanks !

I already have 4 RG1527s so kinda have a band conscience getting yet another 7 string.

I either need someone to talk me out of it or to convince me to buy it :)

But this thread is clearly helping me making the decision to buy it :agreed:

BenEllerGuitars

Reaction score
I used to have a Schecter Blackjack, which was 26.5 scale length. i never noticed the frets seeming farther apart or anything. Chords down in the first position weren't any more difficult. the only time i noticed was when i went to do some bends, but i got used to that real quick! its like the difference between lifting a 10 lb bag of something and a 12 lb bag.... or something like that.

i would LOVE to see one of these swirled.

Santuzzo

Reaction score
I used to have a Schecter Blackjack, which was 26.5 scale length. i never noticed the frets seeming farther apart or anything. Chords down in the first position weren't any more difficult. the only time i noticed was when i went to do some bends, but i got used to that real quick! its like the difference between lifting a 10 lb bag of something and a 12 lb bag.... or something like that.

i would LOVE to see one of these swirled.

Thanks !:yesway:

I'm veeeeeeery close to pulling the trigger :wallbash:

ellengtrgrl

Reaction score
Go for it! Longer scale 7s rule!! I LOVE the extra tension my Schecter Omen Extreme 7 has with its 26.5" scale. The low strings (especially for the Drop Ab tuning I prefer), don't feel anywhere near as sloppy as they did on my 25.5" scale 7s.

Santuzzo

Reaction score
Go for it! Longer scale 7s rule!! I LOVE the extra tension my Schecter Omen Extreme 7 has with its 26.5" scale. The low strings (especially for the Drop Ab tuning I prefer), don't feel anywhere near as sloppy as they did on my 25.5" scale 7s.

Thanks !:yesway:

Did you also try your Shecter in standard tuning? Also what string gauge do you have on it?

I'm asking this since I was wondering if the RGD2127 (which comes with 010 gauge strings and tuned whole tone below standard) would work fine with 009s in standard tuning in terms of string tension. Or would tension be very tight so bends more than a whole tone would be hard?

simonXsludge

(((Ω)))
Reaction score
I'm asking this since I was wondering if the RGD2127 (which comes with 010 gauge strings and tuned whole tone below standard) would work fine with 009s in standard tuning in terms of string tension. Or would tension be very tight so bends more than a whole tone would be hard?
i highly recommend this to calculate tension:
Hikky Z's String Assembler

Santuzzo

Reaction score
shitsøn;1989688 said:
i highly recommend this to calculate tension:
Hikky Z's String Assembler

Thanks ! This is a helpful link!
According to its calculation the tension of the high E string tuned to D on a 010 string would be thje same as it would be on a 009 tuned to E :yesway:

Has anyone of you who own an RGD2127 (or another 7 stirn with a 26.5" scale) used in in standard tuning? Or do you keep it in the standard D (whole step lower) tuning?

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
GAS only wins when the wallet can afford it :lol: