I'm thinking of downsizing...

• Thread starter AfterTheBurial8
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

AfterTheBurial8

Sir. Casm
Reaction score
About 1 and a half years ago I bought an ENGL Invader 100 because it was all I ever wanted, so I saved up. Got it, loved it and I still do. However...

It's massive, heavy, far too fucking loud for the venues that my band plays and because I don't drive it sits in the guitarist in my band's house and gets used once a week for practice and then whenever we gig (which is infrequent at the moment to say the least!)

I want to downsize, pretty much to something that doesn't way half a tonne, and maybe to something that I can use at home because the ENGL is just too loud & just doesn't sound right at low volume.

Now, I thought about getting an ENGL Ironball that's just been released, they sound great and are tiny little lunchbox amps that would be perfect for taking to and from places. Plus there's a sweet power soak control on the back so you can change the watts from 20, 5 or 1 which would be perfect for home.

I've also had the Ampeg VH-140 bought to my attention which I've heard is a killer Death Metal amp and is cheap as chips if you can get hold of one. Would you recommend? I've always been a bit dubious about solid state heads and have always been a bit of a valve nut.

Just thought I'd post this up to get some sort of ideas.

Cheers :hbang:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

incinerated_guitar

Reaction score
Not to be "that guy" but....Axe Fx? :shrug: You can use it at home with headphones (or a small powered monitor), and then when you play with a drummer, you can just run it into the power section of your engl.

EDIT: A budget range would be of great help btw.

AfterTheBurial8

Sir. Casm
Reaction score
Not to be "that guy" but....Axe Fx? :shrug: You can use it at home with headphones (or a small powered monitor), and then when you play with a drummer, you can just run it into the power section of your engl.

EDIT: A budget range would be of great help btw.

I thought about Axe-FX but with the cost I've not even considered it an option. And I have no way near enough patience to fuck about with it until it's right.

That twinned with there being something 'missing' in the live scenario, if you get what I mean?

And I will have to sell my ENGL to be able to afford anything else, I'm not rolling in it unfortunately :(

Albionic

First of the magi
Reaction score
well if it was my choice i'd get the 5150 iii mini. i love those things

Edit: capoeiraesp posted whie i was typing :)

Bevo

Reaction score
I looked at a few options including a couple AMT pedal and a 3 watt power amp pedal with my 2-12, the pedals would be $400 and would be killer in a micro size.

Some of the smaller low watt heads are pretty loud and do not play well at low volume, they need a bit of volume to get to the sweet spot. I have had most of the smaller heads, Jet City, Blackstar, Orange, VOX, Blackheart and they were all good.

What I am going with is the mini 5150 iii and the 2-12, it plays really well at lower volume and gets loud if you need it.

LuizPauloDT

Reaction score
I'm having some issues with neighbours because of noise.
So I'm waiting for the Two Notes Torpedo Reload attenuator to be released (july). With this guy I'll be able to run my Mark V at higher levels without bothering someone and also do silent recordings as it can act as a dummy load for the amp power.

Anyway, if you like your ENGL Invader, I'd suggest you to get an attenuator, if the loudness is the problem.

MBMoreno

Reaction score
You said you'll have to sell the ENGL. What about a Kemper? You could "keep" the amp with the Kemper, provided that you would be able to profile it.

Wlad

Reaction score
You could try Engl E840/50 poweramp in combination with some pre-amp or processor maby. Something like Engl E530 or Digitech GSP1101.

WarMachine

Reaction score
Take in the advice dude, lots of good opinions on here. Im in the same scenario and tomorrow im planning on trying my chameleon through the house PA at a big show we have set up. I'll post back with my results :) i normally just run a 5150 and 4x12 but i got a little curious yesterday and ran my rocktron xlr out to my fast track and recorded one of my jams.....WOW! provided the house PA's are good, im probably just gonna start using it for shows from now on! If you can, try out a few preamps and go from there dude. Good luck!

UV7BK4LIFE

Schecter A7 addict
Reaction score
About 1 and a half years ago I bought an ENGL Invader 100 because it was all I ever wanted, so I saved up. Got it, loved it and I still do. However...

It's massive, heavy, far too fucking loud for the venues that my band plays and because I don't drive it sits in the guitarist in my band's house and gets used once a week for practice and then whenever we gig (which is infrequent at the moment to say the least!)

I want to downsize, pretty much to something that doesn't way half a tonne, and maybe to something that I can use at home because the ENGL is just too loud & just doesn't sound right at low volume.

Now, I thought about getting an ENGL Ironball that's just been released, they sound great and are tiny little lunchbox amps that would be perfect for taking to and from places. Plus there's a sweet power soak control on the back so you can change the watts from 20, 5 or 1 which would be perfect for home.

I've also had the Ampeg VH-140 bought to my attention which I've heard is a killer Death Metal amp and is cheap as chips if you can get hold of one. Would you recommend? I've always been a bit dubious about solid state heads and have always been a bit of a valve nut.

Just thought I'd post this up to get some sort of ideas.

Cheers :hbang:

I have been digging through the same options as you. Too bad the mini recto, ironball, and dark terror are still a bit expensive. In the end I got this:

Ashdown Little Giant 1000 - Thomann UK

With this preamp on my pedalboard:

AMT D-2 - Thomann UK

And it slays!!! I know it's a bass amp but as long as you only use the power amp of a bass amp/head and a normal guitar cabinet, you won't notice. Hooking up one 8 ohm cab on one side would cut the power from 500 watts to 250 watts so you don't blow your speakers, you have a spare power amp, and it's still plenty loud but you don't have to turn it up to sound good.

I also considered the 5 watt Custom Defender tube head, with an AMT pedal in the front, and to increase the headroom replace the 12AX7 tube with a 12AU7 or 12AT7 so it can go louder without distorting.

Basically any AMT preamp pedal with any power amp or lunchbox amp with a line in (or FX return jack) will give you a stealth rig.

If you do something like this, you end up saving money when you sell the ENGL. I tried to save money by doing this and then sell my Mesa F50 combo, but someone offered me a Fryette Sig:X in exchange for the F50 so the GAS made me go supersize instead of downsize...

I still like the stealth rig, sometimes I don't want to drag a 100 watt tube head up and down the stairs.

AfterTheBurial8

Sir. Casm
Reaction score
Just wanna say thank you to everyone who's replied, they've all been genuinely decent & helpful answers!

I just need to sit and weigh up my options..

Ahhhhhhh why's it always the hardest decision!!?

Pav

???
Reaction score
Laney Ironheart Studio, EVH 5150iii and the Mesa Mini Rectifier jumped into my mind, if you prefer real amps to modelers.

KAMI

Mom's Spaghetti
Reaction score
I would really suggest getting a modeler -> power amp -> cab setup!

My rig is quite compact and sounds great!

it consists of:

-Line 6 PODxt pro

-Rocktron Velocity 120

-Harley Benton G212 Vintage

-RFX MidiBuddy

It's very basic but it's very versatile and does everything I need it to!

The POD sounds amazing when I go direct, too!

VBCheeseGrater

not quite a shredder
Reaction score
^^^^How does that velocity 120 do at your gigs volume wise? I have the velocity 100 and use it in stereo mode for my cleans and it does fine, but was never sure if it could hang for my main heavy tones (currently using an amp for that) in a band setting. I run the same Pod XT pro through the velocity 100 to a stereo 2x12 and the Pod also through the PA (if the sound guy is competent, but that's another story)- mainly, i need it to be loud enough without the PA in a bind

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Re-EQ for the volume you actually use to gig. Man up and carry it.

KAMI

Mom's Spaghetti
Reaction score
^^^^How does that velocity 120 do at your gigs volume wise? I have the velocity 100 and use it in stereo mode for my cleans and it does fine, but was never sure if it could hang for my main heavy tones (currently using an amp for that) in a band setting. I run the same Pod XT pro through the velocity 100 to a stereo 2x12 and the Pod also through the PA (if the sound guy is competent, but that's another story)- mainly, i need it to be loud enough without the PA in a bind

The V120 is way loud!

Definitely loud enough for gigs!

Bevo

Reaction score
I tried moddlers a few times and I just like plug and play. What I found is I really only like a few tones and never really touch the amp other than to switch channels or adjust gain/volume.

The pedal to small power amp loses punch when you do get to play louder, I love the palm mute kick in the ass! The smaller amps just don't cut it the same.

spawnofthesith

Reaction score
Don't do it. Almost every time I decide to downsize, I'm happy for a bit, but that ends and I regret offing everything. And then in the longrun it ends up costing way more money.

YMMV

:2c: