I'm thinking of trading my Mesa Mark III for a VHT Sig:X

• Thread starter SpiritCrusher86
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

SpiritCrusher86

Plays 6-Strings
Reaction score
Would this be a good idea? I really tire of my mark's tone, although it is great, I want something more versitile on the fly and more modern, brutal, etc. If i sell my Mark III for say $600, I could probably afford a used Sig:X at around christmas.

My only gripe is, i'm not sure how my current rig will mesh with the VHT. I currently have 3 guitars, an alder/maple jackson rr24 with a BKP Miracle man, a partscaster strat that sounds good but is unintonated and plays like shit, and my first real guitar, a $300 Ibanez RG2EX1 that plays as good as my Jackson that has no pickups. I have an extra BKP Nailbomb, but the leads are broken, and need to be refitted for around $50. I plan to put this in my Ibanez and buy a air norton or something for the neck so i can have a guitar that can play metal but also cleans, since my amp will have good switching on the fly. My cab is a randall xl 4x12 with v30's, and I hear VHT's sound terrible with v30's, so I will have to buy a VHT FB 2x12, which i don't have the money for.

So, this VHT sounds awesome, but I am afraid It will be a huge moneypit changing around my rig for it. Will it sound okay with my current rig?

Also, any good clips?

TL;DR
I want a VHT Sig:X.
1. Should I sell my mesa mark iii for it?
2. Will it mesh with my current rig (randall 4x12 v30's, alder guitar with BKP Miracle man, strat)?
3. Should I get a sig:x or a pittbull cl?

Thanks sevenstring.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

kmanick

Contributor
Reaction score
first off why do you think you will only get $600.00 for a mark III?

SpiritCrusher86

Plays 6-Strings
Reaction score
first off why do you think you will only get $600.00 for a mark III?
It's pretty banged up cosmetically, and with these reccesion i doubt i can get more. It's a redstripe with GEQ and reverb, 60/100 watt. Well cosmetics is around 6/10 maybe less, how much do you think i could get?

TemjinStrife

Power Metal Cellist
Reaction score
Also, don't listen to other people about what sounds good with what. I kind of liked hearing a 2x12 loaded with V30s when I played a Deliverance 60...

TMM

UUDDLRLRBAStart
Reaction score
It's pretty banged up cosmetically, and with these reccesion i doubt i can get more. It's a redstripe with GEQ and reverb, 60/100 watt. Well cosmetics is around 6/10 maybe less, how much do you think i could get?

I think you're actually about right on the price... somewhere in the $600-$650 range.

troyguitar

Reaction score
See if you can try out a Sig:X with your cab or a similar cab, you have several months to decide so there's no rush.

I would probably hold on to the Mark myself but if it's not doing it for you then I guess start saving up.

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
Deathmonkey's clip was the only good clip I found of the Sig:X, though there were a few decent clips as well. I think Deathmonkey also has some like... industrial metal clips of the Sig:X in a mix. I like how it fits in an industrial mix, so I can imagine how good it'll be with just drums, bass, a second guitar and vocals.

SpiritCrusher86

Plays 6-Strings
Reaction score
Deathmonkey's clip was the only good clip I found of the Sig:X, though there were a few decent clips as well. I think Deathmonkey also has some like... industrial metal clips of the Sig:X in a mix. I like how it fits in an industrial mix, so I can imagine how good it'll be with just drums, bass, a second guitar and vocals.
Link?

Sudzmorphus

Reaction score
I own a Sig:X and an Engl Savage SE, the VHT kills it in the low end but you'll want an OD pedal for the gain if your after getting super heavy DM tones.

onefingersweep

Reaction score
Also, would a pittbull 50cl (or 100cl) be better than the sig:x? How would a vader cab sound with a vht?

Not better or worse just different. Pitbull-series are more aggressive sounding and Sig X is more fat sounding with more sag. Then you have the obvious differences like functions, Sig X is probably more versatile ON THE FLY. It's easiest if you try both and then decide.

If you only get $600 for the MKIII I think you should keep it and buy a Fryette also. Save up for it. It's not worth selling a MKIII for $600 IMO.

I don't know how a Fryette amp would sound with Vader speakers (which is eminence speakers) but I can honestly say that the CL sound A LOT better with Eminence P50E's than it does with V30.

SpiritCrusher86

Plays 6-Strings
Reaction score
UPDATE: I just realized that my mark iii is actually a simul class, so i could maybe get around $800 for it. And i'm either gonna get an UL or CLX. Which one?

Unknown Doodl3.2

look at each other..
Reaction score
you're not going to get 200$ more because it's simul class. It's not like the IIC+'s, in fact your amp is probably RARER if it's a 60/100, though it just depends on who you get lucky with.

With that said I agree with everyone that you should keep the amp. You never know dude, I put my Mark III against most of the ENGL line and walked out of the store with the same amp I walked in with. You just never what you may prefer.

Are you xTOOBZRGOODx from the boogie boards?

SpiritCrusher86

Plays 6-Strings
Reaction score
you're not going to get 200$ more because it's simul class. It's not like the IIC+'s, in fact your amp is probably RARER if it's a 60/100, though it just depends on who you get lucky with.

With that said I agree with everyone that you should keep the amp. You never know dude, I put my Mark III against most of the ENGL line and walked out of the store with the same amp I walked in with. You just never what you may prefer.

Are you xTOOBZRGOODx from the boogie boards?
Yep, thats me.

kmanick

Contributor
Reaction score
I'd have to see it but if it's fully functional $700-750.00 ...anyway.
I see these going in the $900.00 range on EBay all the time.
I had a loaded Red stripe last year and I sold it for $799.00 on Ebay in an hour and a 1/2.

SpiritCrusher86

Plays 6-Strings
Reaction score
I'd have to see it but if it's fully functional $700-750.00 ...anyway.
I see these going in the $900.00 range on EBay all the time.
I had a loaded Red stripe last year and I sold it for $799.00 on Ebay in an hour and a 1/2.
I'll put it up for $800 obo.