I'm writing an album this year

• Thread starter isotropy
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

isotropy

Reaction score
Hey all,

This is kind of an announcement

it's been a while but wanted to just post a clip of something I'm working on. My goal for this year is to release a project. Been writing/recording/mixing for years and really have nothing to my name for it (aside from vocals on soon to be 2 Fortiori albums)

I'd love any feedback on the production etc.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1CJGE4RsAgoJ-uY-3-4mbAnhCwDS-1Ito/view?usp=sharing

Also feel free to follow me on my "journey" here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCv-lYL3-1enTDWKO6zFeakA?view_as=subscriber

I'll be posting at least a video a week to somewhat document the progress on this album and will be delving into: songwriting, mixing, and other silliness.

shnizzle

johnny
Reaction score
damn O_O didn´t expect that kind of wildness from you :D
sounds good to me. perhaps for such heavier fast paced stuff you might want to ease up on the low end on the kick a bit so it doesn´t get too overpowering, and give the snare a bit more crack in the upper mid range and ease up on the snare reverb so it doesn´t get too washed out and can still cut through nicely. it´s just quick tweaks i´d personally do.

isotropy

Reaction score
Thanks Jojo! YEah I agree, the low end is untame in the original. I haven't had much time to write more but I've tweaked the mix to get a better balance: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1z6ER4paXnpEB6BSmJDWXAcYcSMtvRf0d/view?usp=sharing

I hate this snare sound actually haha. It's Metal Machinery SDX. I need to layer in an avatar sample overtop or something. none of the SD snares ever seem to have the complete character I want.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Descent

Reaction score
Both guitars sound like distorted bass to me. Nothing else happening in the other ranges of the guitar and too many simple single note hits. I liked the fast part. The mix sounds good.

Last edited:

isotropy

Reaction score
Both guitars sound like distorted bass to me. Nothing else happening in the other ranges of the guitar and two many simple single note hits. I liked the fast part. The mix sounds good.

Hey Descent, thank you for taking a minute to listen and respond. I really appreciate it!

Could you explain what you mean by "too many single note hits?" And your note about the guitars sounding like distorted bass - would you attribute that more to the playing or the tone? Thanks man!

Descent

Reaction score
It's just B-B-B-C....B-B-C...nothing happening on these riffs...especially that last riff.

Here's breakdown by time stamp...

0:20 that intro riff start to repeat too much, to drag and I start yawning.

1:02 you're yet again grinding on that riff which starts to get super boring at that point, I get the whole breakdown idea, but...

1:10 that riff absolutely bores the hell out of me from the get go. It needs some higher part almost immediately after 1st iteration, or bass line or something to save it.

By guitars sounding like bass probably meant to say that the definition is a bit smeary and the differentiation with the bass part is zilch, it all sounds like Markus Grosskopf's Bassinvaders, where they have 3 bass guitars on a mix. Probably the extreme downtuning might have something to do with it. Not that I am opposed, I am OK with it if you want to keep the tonality, biggest gripe is probably that you're approaching this tune from drum perspective and you have e-drums that sound quite good but it needs flair and variety and it doesn't have either.

isotropy

Reaction score
Wow thank you for the analysis and breakdown. I hear you loud and clear. I do have plans to add some layers to some of those parts that should help make it less drony and boring and keep your hear more interested but all in all I may go back to the drawing board on this one. Keep in mind there will be vocals on the final product and that should also help to keep things more interesting.

I am definitely gonna revisit the guitars though to help give them more clarity from the bass. Again thanks man!!!

GunpointMetal

Reaction score
I dig it so far. I can see where vocals and some more interesting melodic elements could make this a really cool song, but it does, as of right now feel like a "riff test" type thing. Agreed on the "spicing up the drums a little", but honestly the mix right now sounds good, plenty of space for more stuff, and I love the groove/constant breakdown type stuff.

isotropy

Reaction score
Hey Gunpoint, Thanks so much for checking it out and for the feedback! My head is full of ideas for how to spruce this up more :) Glad to hear your digging this stylistically

Descent

Reaction score
Cheers man, I figured you want honest feedback so I tried to oblige ;)

Keeps us posted on the process, would love to hear the finished track.

isotropy

Reaction score
Some updates: got some more written for the album. During this process, I'm continually analyzing and adjusting my approach as a whole. I've recently started using a simpler mixing approach, using the SSL E Channel plugin from Waves as well as a similar SSL setup with Slate VMR. I have found it to improve my speed and it's just a more comfortable way for me to work. It also is starting to render some better sounding mixes if you ask me. the second one below uses this approach the most.

Also been really diving into some technical death metal bands and gaining a lot of inspiration. Beyond Creation and First Fragment especially.

Here's one that is essentially finished the writing phase all scratch takes etc: "The Void" : https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Wnxvvym2oEmN-l9rg4fRdFeNlnpPdl3H/view?usp=sharing

Here's the most recent one, it's just a start. Not yet finished the main writing: "Perils of the Vortex" : https://drive.google.com/file/d/1MNotDgLO0_hfa37sZi4Uu5DB-cdmL4bq/view?usp=sharing

Note there are some spots where samples failed to load in the first song i posted, but w/e, this is just rough anyway.

isotropy

Reaction score

Little update. Made a quick playthrough for the one song. Been leaning more toward death metal lately. Specifically tech death and some death/gore grind. I think that'll be more apparent with vocals.

Right now obsessed with Cattle Decapitation and I've been studying Josh Elmore's playing and trying to improve my speed and just general writing.

isotropy

Reaction score
Thank you, guys! I've started another song this week. It's very...grindcore-inspired, haha.

I'll post when it's a bit more finished.