Import duty taxes - any help getting an estimate?

• Thread starter Rev2010
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Rev2010

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm eyeing a Solar guitar that is $1300. I see it says we have to pay the taxes/fees directly to UPS. I asked Solar what that estimate might be and they told me to call UPS. Called UPS and they won't help me unless I have a shipper account. WTF!? Why such a pain in the nuts just to get an estimate? Can anyone here help and give me a ballpark amount of what I'd have to pay on a $1300 Solar guitar?

Rev.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

gitarretyp

Reaction score
I paid $80 on a $900 Solar about a month ago. The import duty was ~45, and the ups brokerage fee was ~35. I would guess that you will end up paying $100-150 in duties and fees.

Bdtunn

Reaction score
I usually expect to pay 80-100 depending on where it comes from.

LeviathanKiller

Knee-shooting Archer
Reaction score
I'm eyeing a Solar guitar that is $1300. I see it says we have to pay the taxes/fees directly to UPS. I asked Solar what that estimate might be and they told me to call UPS. Called UPS and they won't help me unless I have a shipper account. WTF!? Why such a pain in the nuts just to get an estimate? Can anyone here help and give me a ballpark amount of what I'd have to pay on a $1300 Solar guitar?

Rev.
I ordered a $1299 model, checked out price was $1379.34 due to whatever fees they add on and then the import tax fees were about $75. I ended up paying $1454.34 for a $1299 model.

c7spheres

GuitArtist
Reaction score
I use to work for DHL and the rates are standardized, but the issue can be that UPS etc might charge thier own "processing" fees that have nothig to do with import duty. It's just them charging a fee to do what they are required to do anyways. So that could be extra. For Musical instruments to the U.S. there generally is no import duty for a total value up to $800. Over that it's generally 2.5-4% of the total value on the Invoice (not just the item itself). There's also tools online that can give a general idea, but again these are all estimates and can change at any time. Usually you can get pretty close though just based on the total on the commercial invoice form and the high end of teh rate (4%). Be aware also a lot of the time you wont get charged anything at all even though you maybe are supposed to be charged. They (customs) sometimes wll also say the called or sent a letterand got your apporoval for duty billing via invoice for expidited release, even if they enver got it, then 8 months or a year later you get smacked with a bill. So if you want to be realloy safe about it then just add 5% and save that money for a year incase you get slapped with that fee. Usually, you don't get any bill or tax beacause they just pass it through in a hurry and never get around to it. It's not worth the manpower for them to do it sometimes, kinda like if you don't pay your taxes, the IRS ain't gonna sue you or track you down for a few hundred bucks. They got bigger fish to chase.