Impulses with amp head, Set Up Help Please!

• Thread starter Peteus
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Peteus

Reaction score
Hey, I am just having ago at recording using my amp head and some impulses. I have got it working by taking my preamp out (fx loop) sticking it into my interface then through the software etc... I still have my amps power amp going to my cab which means I can hear my cab playing and my sound through my DAW on my interface.
The issue is that I want to unplug my amp from my cab so I can record into the eve, however I have heard issues with unplugging my amp from the cab without applying a load onto the power amp.

I have seen ages ago that Petey G did a tutorial of him plugging his engl into his interface without being plugged into the cab however, I can't find it any more.

HELP PLEASE!

(Also I know using impulses with a real amp isn't the done thing however, I am still a new to this and I can't afford a mic atm)

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

JamesM

The Armada
Reaction score
Get a load box for your amp, and some nice impulses like Redwirez or Recabinet 3.

Boom. :)

Peteus

Reaction score
So is a load box a dummy load on the amp?
Also when I google'd load box it came up with a unit which costs £778.
Is their a cheaper way of doing this?

Distortion

EET FUK
Reaction score
I don't know what head you're using but I usually just zero out the output nob on my dual rectifier. Cuts the poweramp but the preamp is still kicking.

If you have a channel and a master volume, your amp should react the same way I guess?

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
You can take the FX send too. That should cut off the sound but the POWER will still be to the cab keeping everthing healthy.

Peteus

Reaction score
So if I sent my master volume to zero but, keep my channel volumes up then that will cut the power amp and keep the preamp going and hence not kill my amp?

I'm using a ENGL Savage 120

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
^ You'll still need the cab plugged in as power needs to go to it. But if you turn down the output, then yes you should still get signal out of the PREAMP out.
Experiment with the FX send too - it will sound different.

Pedrojoca

Gear Whore
Reaction score
wait, i thought impulses were made to use with real amps :squint:

can anyone confirm this? were they supposed to be used on real amps or to improve fx processors and all that? :scratch:

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
Impulses are to simulate cabs with any setup.
Real amp head>Impulse
Something like a Pod with CABS TURNED OFF > Impulse (because impulses are usually better than cabs in Pods etc)
A single amp head plugin like Poulin LeGion > Impulse

Latest posts