In the market for a Baritone 7 string

• Thread starter Mr-Jemhead93
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Mr-Jemhead93

I think I'm profound
Reaction score
So do to some unnoticed saving on my part and working too much :wallbash: I can now afford a 7 string. :hbang: I'm mostly going to be playing in Drop F# and switch up to Drop G#. I've been looking at guitars with baritone scale lengths. I'm leaning towards the Jackson Dka7. I've played the Jackson Js32 at my local sam ash and I really liked the feel of the 26.5" scale length.

but I also was really intrigued by the Ibanez fanned fret 7 which is 26.5-25.5. the fanned frets worry me though since I've never played a guitar that has them before. Help me decide!

I was considering the Keith Merrow sig but I've never been a fan of Schecter necks, I've only tried the Hellraiser 7's and black jack 7's so thats where my dislike for them comes from, is the KM-7 feel thinner/ smoother?

any other considerations that I'm missing as far as production baritone 7's go? my budget at the moment is about 1.1k

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

indreku

Reaction score
So do to some unnoticed saving on my part and working too much :wallbash: I can now afford a 7 string. :hbang: I'm mostly going to be playing in Drop F# and switch up to Drop G#. I've been looking at guitars with baritone scale lengths. I'm leaning towards the Jackson Dka7. I've played the Jackson Js32 at my local sam ash and I really liked the feel of the 26.5" scale length.

but I also was really intrigued by the Ibanez fanned fret 7 which is 26.5-25.5. the fanned frets worry me though since I've never played a guitar that has them before. Help me decide!

I was considering the Keith Merrow sig but I've never been a fan of Schecter necks, I've only tried the Hellraiser 7's and black jack 7's so thats where my dislike for them comes from, is the KM-7 feel thinner/ smoother?

any other considerations that I'm missing as far as production baritone 7's go? my budget at the moment is about 1.1k
Jacksons are cool,

the Schecter new line with slim neck are much more thinner than before, so I do recommend trying one out.

Ibi 7 FF, well I didn't click with one, when I tried it out in germany at Musikmesse, but that was actually mainly of the sound and me straying from the seven path.

How about the ltd's, they came put with new baritone 7's, moste known is the Carpenter tele 7 baritone

Lorcan Ward

7slinger
Reaction score

The Ibanez FF7 is actually 25.5" - 27", I thought it was 26.5" when I looked at the NAMM pictures because the parallel fret is on the 12th? fret. That would be ideal for F# and G#.

The KM7 is a fantastic guitar. It has the new SLS neck which is thinner than an Ibanez wizard. Its nothing like the old hellraiser necks. Its also satin finished so its very smooth.

vilk

Very Regular
Reaction score
Wanna buy my Agile Intrepid Pro 728? It's dead mint trans charcoal finish SD blackouts and I'd let it go for cheeeep if you wanna try a 28" scale shoot me a PM!!

TBH it's a fantastic guitar, I'd like to sell it in order to fund getting the exact same thing but with 6 strings because I don't really like 7 strings anymore.

Mr-Jemhead93

I think I'm profound
Reaction score
Hmmmm all the talk about the KM-7 I'm going to defintiely try one out now!

Ibanez RGDs?
I've never really been a fan of the RGD's look idk it just seems.... chunky

Jacksons are cool,

Ibi 7 FF, well I didn't click with one, when I tried it out in germany at Musikmesse, but that was actually mainly of the sound and me straying from the seven path.

How about the ltd's, they came put with new baritone 7's, moste known is the Carpenter tele 7 baritone

Ok, I'm worried about not getting used to the fanned frets, was it noticeable when you played?

I completely forgot about LTD/ESP even being an option :lol: I'll look at what they have to offer!

I'm defintely going to be doing my research on these before I pull the trigger on one. Looks like I'm going to be making a few calls to see if any of these are in stock in my area

Mr-Jemhead93

I think I'm profound
Reaction score
Wanna buy my Agile Intrepid Pro 728? It's dead mint trans charcoal finish SD blackouts and I'd let it go for cheeeep if you wanna try a 28" scale shoot me a PM!!

TBH it's a fantastic guitar, I'd like to sell it in order to fund getting the exact same thing but with 6 strings because I don't really like 7 strings anymore.

Thanks I've played a few agiles and I wasn't a big fan, they're good guitars for the price but something about them doesnt sit well with me.

Mr-Jemhead93

I think I'm profound
Reaction score
One of the best playing 27" neck profiles on the market is what they have to offer. They have a nice line-up this year with the V-407B, EC-407B, MH-417B, the EII horizon NT-7B.

the mh-417b looks promising! the EII is a bit out of my price range atm but I'll still see if I can get my hands on one to try

indreku

Reaction score
Hmmmm all the talk about the KM-7 I'm going to defintiely try one out now!

I've never really been a fan of the RGD's look idk it just seems.... chunky

Ok, I'm worried about not getting used to the fanned frets, was it noticeable when you played?

I completely forgot about LTD/ESP even being an option :lol: I'll look at what they have to offer!

I'm defintely going to be doing my research on these before I pull the trigger on one. Looks like I'm going to be making a few calls to see if any of these are in stock in my area

Well I got to play it for about 20 minutes, so def not the period you need to get use to a FF, but it was not uncomfortable and I believe I could get use to one quite fast(hoping to get a FF 6 string in a year).
but yeah, overall it was quite easy to play, the rhythm side was easier to adapt to, then the solo(specially sweeps for me) but as a player with small hands and love of long scales, I think FF is one of the best ways to go for me....

russmuller

Cramblin'
Reaction score
There are a lot of good guitars around that price point, but if it was my money, I'd go with a Kiesel DC7X. The KM-7 gives me severe GAS but I've never gotten a chance to play one. Also, a used RGD prestige is worth it if you are a fan of Ibby necks.

lemeker

SS.org Slacker
Reaction score
I'd go with ltd in this case. I may be biased because I own an older m-207 already. I've actually been eyeballing a 417b for a few months myself. I like the m/mh series stuff.