In this thread we salute unpolished but oh so charming metal!

• Thread starter oompa
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

oompa

Ze..
Contributor
Reaction score
with all the bands attempting to sound as crystal and crisp as dream theater or necrophagist out there, it can make you thirst for that raw, brute is-that-a-guitar-or-a-crashing-train sound.

dirty unpolished sound has a charm of its own and it deserves praise even amongst guitar nerds, so now we fill this thread with bands/songs that sound like they were produced by rambo, recorded by skeletor and engineered by attila the hun! :metal:

ill start off with some new and old swedish death metal:

The Crown - Face of Destruction/Deep Hit of Death (Possessed 13 - 2003)

Dismember - Override the Overture (Like An Everflowing stream - 1991)

Entombed - Sinners Bleed (Clandestine - 1991)

Chastisement - Rapid Fluid (But Lost We Are - 1999)

post up songs that makes you wonder if you just heard a tune or if you were in fact trampled by a horde of mammoths :hbang:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

distressed_romeo

F'king ............
Forum MVP
Reaction score
I used to love old Celtic Frost for this reason; it was raw as fuck, but still had a peculiar atmosphere that was totally unique. The same goes for a lot of early black metal.

Nowadays, there's Galhammer, who I keep thinking I ought to hate when I listen to them, but they're just so damn adoreable!:lol:

JeffFromMtl

Уродливый, но честны
Reaction score
When I think of pure rugged charm, I think of the Mastodon of old.
It's something between Brann's ridiculous fills and the raw power of it all that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Esp Griffyn

Play more music
Reaction score
I can't believe it took a whole page before someone mentioned Mastodon!

Particularly Remission, but all Mastodon, the relatively more polished Crack the Skye still has that "Fuck yeah, let's just play the fuck out of this song and fuck the pro-tools clean up" vibe to it. Mastodon have always had a great "loose" style to their playing that makes them sound a hundred times better than the over-produced garbage that saturated the market a while back and still has not gone away. I love the sound of old Entombed records and stuff like that. Sounds like a real band and not like a Midi file.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hZ6AbDsV0A

Dr. Von Goosewing

Contributor
Reaction score
This is the best thread on here for a long time. High production values have their place, but it seems like so many bands are overproduced, they seem to lose any sense of character. Just listen to any of the two dozen brutal/deathcore bands that are around at the moment, I really couldn't tell the difference.

Here are my contributions:

^This made me take up drums :)

^maybe that's going a bit far. But I still love it!

^1st album still sounds awesome.

Sounds like a real band and not like a Midi file.
:yesway: You hit the nail on the head.

JeffFromMtl

Уродливый, но честны
Reaction score
3 more...
Not quite as "metal" as everything else that's been posted, but deserving of mention.