Indecisive on Pickup colour/style...Help!

What style pickup should I go with?

• Total voters

SlipknotKoRnfan

Airline Pilot. Ibanez Afficionado.
Reaction score
Hi friends.

I knew I could turn to the good people at ss.org for help! I am swapping the pickups in both my RG2027X & RG2020X, and since theyre very similar guitars, I'd like for them to have similar pickup styles too.

I have decided on getting a set of BKP Juggernauts for the 2027, and would like Dimarzio Titans for the 2020. The only thing I can't decide, is in going for the satin nickel/brushed nickel covers, OR, to get regular black bobbins for the stock look.

What do you guys think would look better?

Here is what they currently look like:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MaxAidingAres

Reaction score
I agree that black goes with everything, I thing the brushes nickel covers would look dope on these guitars but if you aren’t sure about the pickups and might be swayed just go with black. The resale will be quicker. Also if you get covered pickups wouldn’t you need to route the cavities to fit them altering the price of the guitar negatively if it’s done poorly

Reaction score
We all need more white pickups. My RG2027s are both with white pickups, like yours is at the moment, and they look awesome. Why change?

Having that out, I'd go for the nickel covered ones, or in a chrome tone that could match the existing hardware...

High Plains Drifter

... drifting...
Reaction score
Dunno if this helps as it's a personal preference but with the cosmo black ( black chrome) hardware, having nickel covers would bug me. If the hardware was black I think that either black bobbins or brushed nickel covers would look fine. But different metal finishes can sometimes look a little less aesthetically pleasing imo. I love that 2027X btw... even with the white pickups.

SlipknotKoRnfan

Airline Pilot. Ibanez Afficionado.
Reaction score
We all need more white pickups. My RG2027s are both with white pickups, like yours is at the moment, and they look awesome. Why change?

Having that out, I'd go for the nickel covered ones, or in a chrome tone that could match the existing hardware...

Haha yes, I do still like the white pickups (i even added white pickup selector switch tips to both guitars, after i took that photo)

I agree with your thought process, it would definitely match the hardware.

I don't know, I guess I felt like change?

P.S. I'm always on the lookout for a second 2027 ;)

angl2k

Reaction score
Looks like BKP covered pups won't fit that route. I like the white pickups in the blue RG, why change that?

I'd go with black uncovered since it looks good on every guitar and you can always swap the pickup to another guitar and the resale will be easier.

Had an RG for sale with BKP with red/white and white/blue bobbins and it took ages to sell :)

Defyantly

Aspiring Builder
Reaction score
I tend to try and match the PU covers to either the hardware or the overall theme of the guitar. So I would say the brushed silver to match the hardware.

Reaction score
... I even added white pickup selector switch tips to both guitars, after i took that photo
P.S. I'm always on the lookout for a second 2027 ;)

Lol, we have the same tastes, both of my 2027s also have a white switch tip... and the one to which I replaced the preamp also has a white tip on the push/push button...

... and good luck on the search. On my part, there are 2 RG1820X for sale on the local classified site for a tempting value (one pretty much a steal), but I don't want/need 6 stringers...