Inexpensive guitar to mod

• Thread starter Papaoneil
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Papaoneil

Reaction score
So I’ve came for guidance. I’ve been looking at a few guitars to pick up and mod a little. I’m just a house guitarist so I don’t really have a use for thousand dollar guitars.

a few models I’ve been looking at are
Rgrt421 Ibanez
Slx soloist Jackson
Jem Jr Ibanez
Gl200 Tiger Ltd

any thoughts on these and comments are welcome.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MoonJelly

a subtle stinging sensation..
Reaction score
Have you considered just getting an Agile from rondomusic? You can usually grab a nice one for
<$400 new.

Also I've seen several on reverb/eBay that may already be modded to your tastes, they put out a lot of semi-custom stuff and there's tons of unique spec's ones used

Papaoneil

Reaction score
H
Have you considered just getting an Agile from rondomusic? You can usually grab a nice one for
<$400 new.

Also I've seen several on reverb/eBay that may already be modded to your tastes, they put out a lot of semi-custom stuff and there's tons of unique spec's ones used
Honestly I have not. Id like a trem for sure since it’s been awhile

Defyantly

Aspiring Builder
Reaction score
What exactly are you looking to mod on these said guitars? Are you asking which ones to get or are you asking opinions on all of them?

Papaoneil

Reaction score
I’m asking for opinions on them. I’ve looked up some videos but nothing seems to be outside of branded biased videos.

as far as mods nothing too crazy. I’m mainly looking for a solid built guitar that I can replace the pickups and electronics, maybe some tuners and all. Nothing cosmetic.
I’ve been out of the market for so long that I don’t know what’s good and what isn’t anymore and this was the best platform I know of to get some good feedback from some experienced people.

USMarine75

Colorless green ideas sleep furiously
Contributor
Reaction score
upload_2020-3-26_23-1-32.jpeg

$499 new and not on sale.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Brand new squier standard strat. Done.

Bearitone

Reaction score
Any guitar from the Squier Affinity Series.

Solid construction and fret job.

They pinched pennies in smarter areas like electronics, tuners, and the nut (all of which can be upgraded by the end user without too much fuss).

But, again, the construction and fret job are solid. If you throw in some decent pickups, a tusq nut, and some locking tuners you’re set.

EDIT: oh and the matte finish on the neck feels great

Mike_R

Reaction score
I’m asking for opinions on them. I’ve looked up some videos but nothing seems to be outside of branded biased videos.

as far as mods nothing too crazy. I’m mainly looking for a solid built guitar that I can replace the pickups and electronics, maybe some tuners and all. Nothing cosmetic.
I’ve been out of the market for so long that I don’t know what’s good and what isn’t anymore and this was the best platform I know of to get some good feedback from some experienced people.

If you are looking at something in the $5xx range you may want to check out the Pro series Soloists and find a decent used one. I have a couple of them and they have some improvements over the SLX, namely a 1000 series Floyd Rose vs the Special, and legitimate Seymour Duncan pickups (that are direct mounted). I have a couple of them and I have swapped pickups, the sustain block, and the floyd bar/socket and I enjoy them very much. I still want to add locking tuners just to speed up string changes. I wound up swapping the SD Distortions back in, but its been great to have something to mess with, do setup/tuning changes, and play that wasn't an arm and a leg. If those pickups don't suit your tastes you can actually get something for them on the used market, which I haven't seen to be to prevalent with the Duncan Designed options.

Papaoneil

Reaction score
If you are looking at something in the $5xx range you may want to check out the Pro series Soloists and find a decent used one. I have a couple of them and they have some improvements over the SLX, namely a 1000 series Floyd Rose vs the Special, and legitimate Seymour Duncan pickups (that are direct mounted). I have a couple of them and I have swapped pickups, the sustain block, and the floyd bar/socket and I enjoy them very much. I still want to add locking tuners just to speed up string changes. I wound up swapping the SD Distortions back in, but its been great to have something to mess with, do setup/tuning changes, and play that wasn't an arm and a leg. If those pickups don't suit your tastes you can actually get something for them on the used market, which I haven't seen to be to prevalent with the Duncan Designed options.

I’ll look at those as well. Thank you.