Insane practice technique

• Thread starter ImBCRichBitch
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ImBCRichBitch

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone out there practices like i do. I find the tabs to a song, and start playing. Pretty straight forward, right? Well not exactly, i play electric songs on a acoustic with an unradiused fretboard, so when it comes down to the time to play it electric, its much easier. Anyone else do this?

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
I've done similar things such as learning songs on bass. When I decided to learn multifinger double handed tapping, starting with The Great Plains by Scale the Summit, I first wrote a Jean Baudin style song on my 6 string bass. It was all I played for a couple of days and my fingers were very sore. The guitar was incredibly easy afterwards.

ImBCRichBitch

Reaction score
I've done similar things such as learning songs on bass. When I decided to learn multifinger double handed tapping, starting with The Great Plains by Scale the Summit, I first wrote a Jean Baudin style song on my 6 string bass. It was all I played for a couple of days and my fingers were very sore. The guitar was incredibly easy afterwards.
You play the song you wrote on bass BEADGC on your guitar?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
No - I learnt the strength required for 8 finger tapping by composing on bass for a while :)

ImBCRichBitch

Reaction score
No - I learnt the strength required for 8 finger tapping by composing on bass for a while :)
Ohh i thought you meant wrote it in that tuning and played it. Thats how i learned how to tap, was bass. and then i just figured out taps already in songs like the solo to Hearts Burst Into Fire by BFMV and the bass taps in the chorus to Happy? by Mudvayne

veshly

Reaction score
I do the same thing with a bass, too. It kind of makes me want to buy a 6 string.

When I play drums a while ago I'd play with brushes for a few days then switch back to my regular sticks, man, what a difference. SO MUCH POWWAAAA.

ImBCRichBitch

Reaction score
I do the same thing with a bass, too. It kind of makes me want to buy a 6 string.

When I play drums a while ago I'd play with brushes for a few days then switch back to my regular sticks, man, what a difference. SO MUCH POWWAAAA.
is the powaaa over 9000? :lol: but thats actually a good tip, brushes and sticks. Do you just alternate between the 2?

Tobi

Reaction score
I dont quite play like you do, I normally do practise on a clean channel, just to be sure I play as exact as possible. I wouldnt play a song on a nylon string acoustic though if I would otherwise play it on an electric... just doesnt seem to make much sense to me, epecially in terms of bending and stuff...
When I compose and write however, I write pretty much the exact same way, I start completely acoustic, I want the song I write to be able to send my message without any effects or distortion, even without bends, heavy vibratos or any stylistic devices. I want the Notes and the rhythm to sound good without having to add anythng else. Just when I know that all that sounds good I add up on that and ty to make it sound more interesting and more 'metal' or whatever.
So essentially I do a similar thing you do, I take away some of the ease you get with modern tools, and try to make something cool with that. after that perfecting it becomes simpler.

ImBCRichBitch

Reaction score
I wouldnt play a song on a nylon string acoustic though if I would otherwise play it on an electric... .
No nylon string would be awkward. Mines a steel string with a nylon neck essentually so its a little different.

Trespass

AEADGBEA
Reaction score
I've been pushing my students practice scales and technique exclusively on a steel strung acoustic for a couple years now.

ImBCRichBitch

Reaction score
I've been pushing my students practice scales and technique exclusively on a steel strung acoustic for a couple years now.
yeah one of my freinds that really got me into playing told me that it makes it easier. he plays almost only on acoustic.

WickedSymphony

Reaction score
I never actually practiced for electric on an acoustic. I started straight on electric guitar, and then got a nylon string and used it to play classical finger style. Idunno, I just never cared to learn on acoustic as a means to improve on electric.

For most stuff, I always practice both with clean channel and tons of gain. Clean practice is for getting the attack of the notes down, distorted practice for making sure muting and releasing notes are in check and everything sounds tight. Both are extremely important to improving in my opinion.

ImBCRichBitch

Reaction score
I never actually practiced for electric on an acoustic. I started straight on electric guitar, and then got a nylon string and used it to play classical finger style. Idunno, I just never cared to learn on acoustic as a means to improve on electric. .
I think of it this way, you learn it on acoustic, then its so much easier when you finally play it. The only problem is when practicing taps, you cant hear all the notes.

WickedSymphony

Reaction score
I think of it this way, you learn it on acoustic, then its so much easier when you finally play it. The only problem is when practicing taps, you cant hear all the notes.

I understand the reasoning for people that practice on acoustic for electric, and I also understand that it's a common thing that people do. However, I never felt like I could've gotten more benefit out of practicing on an acoustic first.

I'm not trying to say this method of practice doesn't have merit, just that I found other ways more effective for myself. I also use each of them for different styles so practicing on one doesn't necessarily translate well to the other (obviously with the exception of rearranging songs for one or the other). Different strokes as they say.

And as an aside, you *should* be able to hear your tapping on an acoustic very easily. If not, you need to tap harder and give it a bit more oomph when pulling off. Example:

stevo1

ClearTrack Studios
Reaction score
I do this too, and I actually prefer a flat board. I plan on getting a flat board on my custom that ill be getting.

veshly

Reaction score
is the powaaa over 9000? :lol: but thats actually a good tip, brushes and sticks. Do you just alternate between the 2?

Yep, pretty much. Just did all the rudiments with brushes, tried to sustained blasts with them, anything really.

phrygian12

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone out there practices like i do. I find the tabs to a song, and start playing. Pretty straight forward, right? Well not exactly, i play electric songs on a acoustic with an unradiused fretboard, so when it comes down to the time to play it electric, its much easier. Anyone else do this?

I always practice with an acoustic, it's a Seagull, pretty good sounding acoustic with sort of a high-ish action with a pretty heavy gauge set of strings on it. I first started doing this on accident. I only had 2 guitars at the time and my electric needed new strings. One day, I was trying out cascading arpeggios ideas that I got from Frank Gambale, I would practice them to a metronome on acoustic. After a while my fingers would feel sore, but after about a week or so of just 3 to 4 hours of practicing every day, I notice it started to sound kinda good, wasn't till I finally bought some damn strings for my electric and felt like i had WAY more control when playing.

Ever since then, if there's a technique I need to work on or I'm just being really sloppy, I just bust out my acoustic and practice that shit yo.

Bevo

Reaction score
Agreed acoustic practice does make the electric easier to play, its now a very light touch.

I have been playing more acoustic than electric for the last few months and after the jam this weekend I was very happy with my playing. It had a effortless feel to it, almost relaxed!

But to each their own, do what works for you..

Moolaka

Reaction score
When I play with my fingers on my electric with no distortion and then switch to a pick I fly through my other songs. It really helps me economize how much effort I use with my fretting hand and my right hand becomes amazingly accurate. I know yall are talking about acoustics and such though, I'll have to try that too.

I started on a classical, it was a nightmare of a guitar. When I got my first electric I found it noisey and hard to tame. About three years ago I started getting back into classical styles and ran into the same problem- I crank the gain and "practice" now to clean up my playing. It's much harder for me to use high gain impeccably as opposed to playing acoustics. Buddy of mine kicked the gain back during practice and ended up with the same problems so now we both (he's 10x the guitarist I am) dime the gain at home...so far so good, it's done wonders for my sweeps.