Interested in new 5 string, looking for feedback

• Thread starter wankerness
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

wankerness

Reaction score
I'm interested in buying a new bass sometime soon, and I've always sorta drooled over Warwicks. I'm interested in 5 strings, mainly. As far as models go, I haven't found a clear description of what the strengths and weaknesses are of each model, but it seems like the "Thumb" and the "Streamer Stage 1/2s" are the upper mid range models and thus what I'm interested in. I'm not closed to other brands, either, but from all I've heard a Warwick will solve most of my woes.

I've been using an Ibanez 405q for the last ten years and have recently gotten really dissatisfied with it as I've been playing in bigger groups with better sound systems, it seems like no matter what I do with the EQ, pickups and string gauges still results in the G string sounding incredibly thin and wimpy. I also REALLY don't like the action on this thing, I've adjusted it all different ways and it just doesn't work well for slap lines (not something I do a ton of, but I do enough that I've taken to using a cheap piece of shit just to slap/tap on cause the strings actually rebound properly). Finally, the output on this thing is INSANELY low, with volume on max and even with pickups raised almost to the strings the output is so low I have to run it through preamps before it will even trigger my compressor. This last problem may be some kind of defective electronics, but it's been exactly the same the entire time I've had it and no places I've had take a look at it have ever commented on it so who knows.

Any advice/pointers/feedback from people who know about 5 strings is appreciated. I don't have the means to try any Warwicks out since the places around here do not stock them. If you have any solid recs for a very versatile 5 string is appreciated. I play all kinds of stuff, everything from metal to jazz, and I'm often required to play in public in jazz groups where I have to do a lot of walking lines on old swing charts so it needs to have some tonal variety. I'm primarily a bass player, it's not like I just want something to do backing tracks on my guitar recordings or something.

I keep hearing that Warwicks have huge necks which might be too much for some players. I have been using an Ibanez BTB 405q for the last ten years so I'm not worried about neck length/width, but maybe I should be? It's 35" scale and the strings are pretty wide, but I don't know the exact width. I also have a cheap piece of shit Rogue 5 string with a shorter scale and MUCH tighter string spacing which feels like a toy in comparison, which makes me think the Ibanez is on the bigger end, but I don't really know.

I live in a cultural wasteland and thus have no half-decent guitar shops around for a great many miles, and I don't entirely trust ebay these days, so I thought I might as well ask on these forums even though it seems like almost all of the traffic is for guitars. I know I may end up buying used since my price range is in the 1-1.5k range and I know that with Warwicks at least the price difference between new and used is gigantic.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Wyvern Claw

Reaction score
I probably can't help you much, I'm actually not a bass player, but a guitarist. However, I too have been looking into getting a good bass lately, and the one I've pretty much settled on (once I have money to spend) is the Ibanez SR5005e. I played the Premium line SR at a guitar shop near me, and even that was really nice, I imagine the prestige would be amazing. Not sure if you're into thin necks, but the necks on them are just a few millimeters thicker than the regular Prestige guitar necks, from what I've read. The string spacing also appears to be pretty narrow.

Again, I'm not really a bass player, so I can't comment much from personal experience on how various playing techniques and sounds work with it, but I've read reviews that basically praise it all across the board. And a used one is pretty well exactly in your price range of 1-1.5k.

facepalm66

The Master of Joints
Reaction score
For myself, I've been playing ibbys, and was also lurking into WW's, since I love they're tone. However, after ibanez neck (both BTB and SR series), the WW was unplayable for me. Really hard to reach the B, especially when using stretches.

It's not the spacing, it's the round neck. I strongly suggest you to check out before buying one of those. However, if you do like it, then it's awesome.

Any of the german made streamers, thumbs and corvettes will sound brutal and deep, growly. It's just up to you and your tastes, plus money, to decide. They tend to go around 1 - 3k.
Yet you can get one pretty cheap used, since, for some reason, they have a terrible resale price.

Good luck!

abandonist

Banned
Reaction score
I play a 6 string Ibanez BTB. It's damn near the perfect bass for me outside of a full custom. I bought it as a B stock for $700 with a little chip in the finish on the headstock. Full Recommendation.

That said, I have a Schecter Stiletto 5 string that's just amazing for the money. You can get one on ebay used for like $400.

TheEmptyCell

Dingwall Player
Reaction score
Dingwall. Used or new Combustion fits your price range, and you may be able to get an ABZ for that cheap.

Mikemtm

Reaction score
As always it comes down to personal taste. I have 2 5 string basses. My favorite is my Musicman Bongo with a piezo. My other one is a Warwick Corvette 5 with Bartolini pickups. The neck on the Warwick should pose any problems or you. I don't have big hands and I can play one with speed and notes are clean.

facepalm66

The Master of Joints
Reaction score
It all depends on the taste and use. Both MM and WW has huge necks, you just got used to them, that's all.

The dingwall has it's issues, like the need for extremely long strings, which sometimes can be difficult to get.

cGoEcYk

Reaction score
You should play one first, I dont think Ibanez makes anything with an OAR for a neck. I love the tones of higher end Waricks though. When a friend of mine plugged his into my rig and it was twice as loud as my mid-grade Ibanez (late 90's SR-885) and after that I could not find peace while using my SR.

I love my USA Cirrus 5. It's a phenomenal instrument that I am lucky to have. If you dont mind slightly burly necks, Spector Euro's are great basses too.

Mwoit

Reaction score
Definitely check out Spector Euro's, they sound fat as hell and are generally well built. I'm not sure how much Warwicks go for, but if it's over a grand or so you could also maybe look at Carvin!

Herrick

Hello Mangs
Reaction score
I've never played a Thumb or Streamer. I really enjoy my passive 5-string Corvette Standard. The string spacing is very narrow though. If you've been playing that Ibanez for 10 years, you may find the spacing on a Warwick strange.

cGoEcYk

Reaction score
I have been using an Ibanez BTB 405q for the last ten years so I'm not worried about neck length/width, but maybe I should be? It's 35" scale and the strings are pretty wide, but I don't know the exact width.
I read your post... you are talking about scale length and width. I am talking about "depth" (maybe the term would be circumference). Unless Ibanez makes OARs now, the thick roundedness on the back of the neck may be a surprise. It might not be an issue, but it's a standout feature. Entry level Warwicks have normal Ibanez-like necks though.

noUser01

Still can't play.
Reaction score
That said, I have a Schecter Stiletto 5 string that's just amazing for the money. You can get one on ebay used for like $400.

Yeah, I've got a Schecter Stiletto 5 Studio and it's amazing. There is absolutely nothing I can find wrong with it.