IR Loader for Headphone Playing

• Thread starter protest
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

protest

Reaction score
I'm looking for something to pair with my KSR Ceres for headphone playing when I can't fire up my amps. I thought there was really only going to be Two Notes stuff, but there's actually a few things from Hotone, Nux, Mooer, etc.

I need something with power amp simulation since I'll only be running a preamp through it. I'm leaning towards the Hotone binary cab right now, but I wanted some opinions on what's out there first.

Am I good with going cheaper here, or is a Two Notes cab the only legitimate choice?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Spinedriver

Reaction score
I have the Mooer Radar and I've had pretty decent results with it. I will say though that I run it into an audio interface and I don't plug my headphones directly into the pedal, so I can't comment on that but it does have 4 different power amp sims and you can store up to 36 IRs. Also, it is worthy of note that the eq is a little bit better than that of the Two Notes. With the Mooer, the eq levels can go up in 1/10th increments vs the Two Notes which go up by 1 full increment at a time. So technically, the Mooer can be much more precise when you're tweaking your tone.

ATRguitar91

Reaction score
If budget is the goal I'd vote Radar for the added EQ function, but the Hotone looks pretty cool.

Do you have an interface already? When I want to use IRs I just run my preamp into the interface and load the IR and power amp sim in the DAW.

protest

Reaction score
If budget is the goal I'd vote Radar for the added EQ function, but the Hotone looks pretty cool.

Do you have an interface already? When I want to use IRs I just run my preamp into the interface and load the IR and power amp sim in the DAW.

Just sold my interface, but I'll be buying another cheaper/smaller one soon. This is mainly for when I'm not near a computer or don't feel like setting up an interface and laptop.

Backsnack

Many strings
Reaction score
You can pick up a used Radar for about $100. Seems like a good deal for what it can do. Even has power amp simulation as well.

nightlight

Reaction score
Just keep in mind that you will still need a loadbox if using a solution like the Mooer Radar or Torpedo Cab. They don't have reactive loads built in and your amp will fry if it doesn't see the required loads at the end.

I'd look into the Suhr Reactive Load IR version, which has a headphone output. It should also be handy when you get your interface, as IRs on a computer do tend to introduce a bit of latency/require higher buffer settings.

Nik_Left_RG

Reaction score
Would I still need a load box if I use only the Ceres/ or any pre-amp pedal since its marketed as a pre-amp pedal ? Correct me if i am wrong but I thought a load box is necessary only when running directly from a tube amp with no speaker connected, wherein, the speaker out from the amp would go to the load box.

Spinedriver

Reaction score
Would I still need a load box if I use only the Ceres/ or any pre-amp pedal since its marketed as a pre-amp pedal ? Correct me if i am wrong but I thought a load box is necessary only when running directly from a tube amp with no speaker connected, wherein, the speaker out from the amp would go to the load box.

If you're JUST using the Ceres, it'll be fine with the Radar. As you said, Load boxes are just for tube heads because if the impedence on the speaker output is too low (or none) it can fry the power section. Anything solid state (pedals or amps), you can run directly into an ir loader pedal without any issues.

protest

Reaction score
Just keep in mind that you will still need a loadbox if using a solution like the Mooer Radar or Torpedo Cab. They don't have reactive loads built in and your amp will fry if it doesn't see the required loads at the end.

I'd look into the Suhr Reactive Load IR version, which has a headphone output. It should also be handy when you get your interface, as IRs on a computer do tend to introduce a bit of latency/require higher buffer settings.

I won't be using it with an amp, just guitar > pedal > pedal > headphones