Is a ENGL Invader 150 through an 150w amp legit?

Psychemath

Reaction score
First of all greeting to all sevenstring members, this is my first post here :)

I searched through internet to find a suitable cab for my invader, but couldnt find any satisfying answer. So i begin to search for a 150w 2x12 cab (as i wanted only a 2x12 cab and i had 150w 16, 8, 4 ohm outputs). Therefore i found Mesa/Boogie 2x12 Horizontal Road King, and Marshall 1936. However i wanted an directional cab, so i eliminated the Mesa (Dual Cabinet Design:
Left Open-Back & Right Closed-Back).

In conclusion is a 150w cab ok with a 150w amp?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jwatso89

Reaction score
In terms of not blowing your speakers, you should be ok for average playing, but if you are constantly running your head at max volume (which might be a little outrageous :p) you could risk blowing them.

The reason most people would buy a cab with a much higher power handling rating then their head (120W amp through a 240W cab) is that they don't like the sound you get when you approach the power handling of a speaker. You begin to get distortion created by the speaker itself instead of just created by your amp, and it's a personal preference to whether you like the overdriven speaker sound or not.

If you want to try it, I say go for it and if you are truly not a fan of that particular sound, resell the Marshall and get something bigga!

EDIT: oh and Welcome to the forums! :D

Floppystrings

banned
Reaction score
It should be fine.

The actually wattage of the amp may be below 150w.

People have been playing 100w Marshall with four 25w greenbacks forever, even with volume on 10 no less.

Psychemath

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies :)

I am releived to hear nothing will burst in the end :agreed: people should make 2x12 cabs with more wattage; after all there are people playing through more than 100w preamps..

motomoto

Reaction score
i doubt that you will play this beast in full blast.
So you wont have any problems.

Psychemath

Reaction score
They do made cabs like that...look into vader.

i checked them and yes they make 240w 2x12 cabs which is impressive. but i dont really play stuff that requires to many bottom end. and of course i couldn't find any distributors in turkey; as like in many brands. i think marshall will suit me nice :)

onefingersweep

Reaction score
It should be fine.

The actually wattage of the amp may be below 150w.

People have been playing 100w Marshall with four 25w greenbacks forever, even with volume on 10 no less.

Unfortunately this is true in many cases. Check out post #313 in this thread: Official VHT Sig X______ Amp Info - Page 4

However I think that most, if not all people measures the watt totally clean, so it doesn't include the gain. So an amp rated at a certain wattage can easily provide more effect than that, keep that in mind. You should be able to blow the sepakers with most amp if the rating are the same. But with this new fact (new to the consumers) it might be a good thing that the wattage is actually lower than stated in most cases since it's probably for that reason many speakers hold up.

Watch out for Fryette amps :lol:

I'd say it's safe to run a 150 w cab with a 150 w rated amp as long as you don't max the volume, you'll probably hear when it starts to sound bad anyway :D

Krucifixtion

Duncan Hills
Reaction score
I run my ENGL Invader 150 through a Mesa 2x12 recto cab with no problems. I think at best the cab is good for 150 watts. I believe the vintage 30's in it are rated at like 65watts at piece? Either way you will never push that amp loud enough to blow the speakers. Your hearing will go first and then you won't even know if your speakers are blown :lol:

Michael T

Sea Turtles mate
Contributor
Reaction score
Either way you will never push that amp loud enough to blow the speakers. Your hearing will go first and then you won't even know if your speakers are blown :lol:

Huh, what was that, what, ........huh?!? Speak up I can't hear a Damn thing.

To OP, yep your safe. Higher rated cabs are just a precaution. I have a 600 watt Carvin power amp I use with a 240 watt rated cab. No problem......besides hearing loss.