Is a guitar from Christian Olde wolbers worth 4500$

• Thread starter Master D
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

littledoc

Go meat!
Reaction score
The word 'Custom' isn't synonymous with the phrase 'whatever you want'.

I beg to differ. That's precisely what it is, within reason. I've bought four Carvins and they're all "customized", but I wouldn't call them true customs precisely because they're not exactly what I want. They just come really close for a price I can't argue with. Obviously there are limits to what a company can do, but if I were going to shell out four or five grand for a custom, it'd better be exactly what I'm looking for – up to and including custom body shapes, custom inlays, custom finishes, etc. etc.

Master D

Reaction score
Very true guys... I was and am just after a bolt on cow 7 string and asked Christian if he had any for sale as he advertises from time to time....I didn't count on a 4.5 k guitar...it's a bit out of my price even though I would love to buy it.....I am still on the hunt for a bolt on cow 7..wish me luck guys and thanks for the opinions as they gave me some food for thought...

Curt

Where we're going we don't need neck pickups.
Reaction score
You obviously never held a Jackson USA Custom Shop guitar. :fawk:

+1

I played a CS soloist a few years back and It was easily the best playing guitar I had played at the time.

A custom shop Jackson is definitely worth the coin, but gawddayumn, are they expensive. :eek:

While I do think BRJ makes great guitars, to come out and say that it will better than a CS Jackson, even less so 50 times more valuable!? I don't think the people saying that have much experience with jackson outside the "JS32's". :lol:

Not saying Jacksons are better for everyone, in terms of quality, i'd put Jackson and BRJ right about on the same level.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
That's extremely expensive to say the least. You can get a Bernie Rico for that price which has 50 times the value.

If we're talking just plain value here then BRJs are worth next to nothing on the used market now. He just blew out over 100 guitars for under $2k new. Heck you can buy into an order for $500 and still spec it out. I wouldn't pay more than $1200 for a BRJ knowing the original buyer probably paid only a couple hundred more. The market is now saturated with "cheap" RG shaped BRJs.

Jackson on the other hand has made a ridiculously small amount of 7s, most of them costing around $4k+, so they hold value exceedingly well. If I saw a CS Jackson 7 with specs I wanted I'd be willing to drop some mad coin because it'd hold its value pretty good and still be in rather limited quantities.

Nothing against BRJ but you can't just liquidate a huge chunk of inventory and expect the market to stay the same. If Jackson started offering thier CS7s for half price it'd have the same effect.

You can see the same saturation with the UV777PBKs. There are so many that people are practically giving them away on the used market. :lol:

Curt

Reaction score
Nothing against BRJ but you can't just liquidate a huge chunk of inventory and expect the market to stay the same. If Jackson started offering thier CS7s for half price it'd have the same effect.

I could only hope. :lol:

I would love a 7 string Kelly...

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
:lol:

Sorry that made me laugh.... no offense to BRJ but the fanboism is just hilarious.

Mostly from guys that have played neither guitar and just looked at pretty pictures on the internet :facepalm:

There is nothing wrong with BRJs but the guys saying they are the BESTEST GUITARS EVAR ZOMG!!!! who have never touched one is getting REALLY old :lol:

I beg to differ. That's precisely what it is, within reason. I've bought four Carvins and they're all "customized", but I wouldn't call them true customs precisely because they're not exactly what I want. They just come really close for a price I can't argue with. Obviously there are limits to what a company can do, but if I were going to shell out four or five grand for a custom, it'd better be exactly what I'm looking for – up to and including custom body shapes, custom inlays, custom finishes, etc. etc.

And 99.9% of the CUSTOM SHOPS do not do what you're talking about. Very few places do custom body shapes, headstocks, etc because they have a brand identity they're trying to maintain. The only guys that tend to do this are either very small shops or shops that specialize in knock offs of other people's designs like RAN.

If we're talking just plain value here then BRJs are worth next to nothing on the used market now. He just blew out over 100 guitars for under $2k new. Heck you can buy into an order for $500 and still spec it out. I wouldn't pay more than $1200 for a BRJ knowing the original buyer probably paid only a couple hundred more. The market is now saturated with "cheap" RG shaped BRJs.

Jackson on the other hand has made a ridiculously small amount of 7s, most of them costing around $4k+, so they hold value exceedingly well. If I saw a CS Jackson 7 with specs I wanted I'd be willing to drop some mad coin because it'd hold its value pretty good and still be in rather limited quantities.

You can see the same saturation with the UV777PBKs. There are so many that people are practically giving them away on the used market. :lol:

Sssshhhhhh Max you're talking sense, people don't want to hear that :rofl:

Very true guys... I was and am just after a bolt on cow 7 string and asked Christian if he had any for sale as he advertises from time to time....I didn't count on a 4.5 k guitar...it's a bit out of my price even though I would love to buy it.....I am still on the hunt for a bolt on cow 7..wish me luck guys and thanks for the opinions as they gave me some food for thought...

Wait is the guitar he's trying to sell you a bolt on? If so run do not walk away as all of his custom shop guitars were neck through :2c:

mudmonster

Reaction score
Hi guys,

as the subject heading suggests, I was speaking to Christian of Arkaea on facebook and asked him if he had any guitars for sale, he said he had his red cow 7 custom for 4500$ does this seem like it is a bit expensive??

thanks guys..

Pfffffff first of all he's an imposter, should have never been the guitarist in Fear Factory - Dino is the king. That's way overpriced.

:lol:

Prydogga

Giddyup.
Reaction score
Why get an instrument owned by a famous artist for 4.5k when you could get a non signature, MIJ, stock pickup Ibanez for that price in the wonderful Australia!

Sometimes, the amount you guys struggle to settle on buying guitars for pocket money astounds me. :lol:

I keed.

Curt

Reaction score
It's funny how some people started to not like BRJ guitars because they got popular. lol

I don't think that has anything to do with it whatsoever... Some people just generally aren't a huge fan of his guitars, in regards to his designs, anyway.

I do however think people get tired of hearing "z0mz0rz, BRJ and BKP is teh bestest!" From all the people who have never even touched one...

I have played a vixen and loved the way it played, since we are on the subject...

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
It's funny how some people started to not like BRJ guitars because they got popular. lol

There's a few reasons I wouldn't buy a BRJ, and popularity on an internet forum certainly isn't one of them. :2c:

That's all I'm going to say. This isn't a BRJ thread and it sure isn't going to turn into one. ;)

mikernaut

pixel pusher
Reaction score
It's the old "what's it worth to you?" If your a big fan of a certain guitarist then maybe you can justify paying the asking price, but like others stated you could easily order your own personalized custom for the $ (although you'd still have the 1 year + wait time).

Another thing is it's used so it's probably got some dings, scratches , wear etc.

Just for reference I paid $2500 for the Black CS COW from Drum City Guitar Land. It was brand new and the quality was excellent. It made the import versions look and feel like a Mattel toy, :)

For the record having owned both BRJ's and CS Jacksons they both make stellar guitars and like most Custom Shop's there are occasional miscommunications and errors.
But like everything, it's what product is going to fit your personal preferences. It's kinda like arguing about art. Not everyone is going to agree and like the same paintings.

But Jacksons probably would have a much greater resell value because their a bigger more well known company.

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score

Actually I didn't see anybody saying they disliked BRJs, I saw someone making completely ridiculous statements that were corrected :lol:

That said $4500 for a CS Jackson is not out of line, but for that money unless its exactly what you wanted I would order my own custom as COW's having owned it really adds nothing to the resale value :2c:

Dvaienat

Reaction score
I think $4500 is a bit steep for a used CS Jackson. For that price, you could get a new CS Jackson built to your spec (within reason, nothing too overboard).

Xaios

Foolish Mortal
Contributor
Reaction score
There is nothing wrong with BRJs but the guys saying they are the BESTEST GUITARS EVAR ZOMG!!!! who have never touched one is getting REALLY old :lol:

Of course it is.

Everyone knows that Blackmachines are the best guitars ever. :D

MOD EDIT: Don't waste space...it sucks having to scroll on my phone to see your comment 5 mobile pages below :fawk:

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
The guitar is worth whatever you think it's worth. No matter how guitar-geeky we all are, we cannot dictate the selling price of a guitar. That said, I would not personally spend that much for a guitar owned by COW.

littledoc

Go meat!
Reaction score
And 99.9% of the CUSTOM SHOPS do not do what you're talking about. Very few places do custom body shapes, headstocks, etc because they have a brand identity they're trying to maintain. The only guys that tend to do this are either very small shops or shops that specialize in knock offs of other people's designs like RAN.

Like I said... within reason. Point of fact, most all full custom shops including the big guys like Jackson and ESP, while maybe not reprogramming their CNC machines just for you, will make modifications to existing body designs. I saw a custom Jackson for example that had a soloist body with an RC7-style scoop to the horn. Jackson also does custom inlays and paint jobs, for those willing to pony up the cash.

Which is why I say to the OP that for $4500, you can get a custom that's a lot more... y'know, custom.

Master D

Reaction score
hey technomancer....the red cow for 4.5k is a neck thru....christian as well as other people are advertising the bolt on cow 7 online here...I asked him if he had a cow 7 for sale and he said the red one for 4.5k....I will keep looking on here as I think I will go after a bolt on cow 7 as I have a black/ green universe 7 here at home....

thanks guys

Latest posts