Is a strat good for heavy/80' metal?

• Thread starter dr_game0ver
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

dr_game0ver

Reaction score
i found a sweet squier for nothing in a shop near my place and i want to know if it's good for old style metal (i can change pickups on it...or not... i also like vintage sound and classic rock)

about the guitar itself...it's a squier 20th anniversary!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

LtdRay

Reaction score
Yah get some single coil humbuckers but if your doing stuff without a lot of gain then it don't matter at all.

Murmel

Reaction score
^
Don't even do that. If you need to change the pickups, change them to hot regular single coils. Sounds awesome.

LtdRay

Reaction score
wouldn't they be to noise that's why i thought humbucker but you could right

MatthewK

Reaction score
Alls I know is the DiMarzio YJM sounds in-fucking-credible in the neck position. I'd go for something hotter in the bridge though.

dr_game0ver

Reaction score
it's for playing stuff like domain, the old nocturnal rites songs, running wild, tankard, the sword, tierra santa...no high gain things like venom or judas priest... (maybe with a good pickup...dont know yet)
saturday, i'll go to a shop trying a standart strat on a engl screamer50!! whait and see...

Mordacain

Formerly 1-watt brigadier
Reaction score
A strat is good for any kind of music. The great virtue of the strat is the versatility....if you need higher output pickups then you just change the pickguard / pups out.

Personally I'm a big fan of the Dimarzio Areas but I'd like to try Paul Gilbert's Injector line as well. The Heavy Blues is a monsterous bridge pickup as well if you want a thick sound but still with some single-coil character.

Rook

Electrifying
Reaction score
The injector's good but a little thicker than your average single.

I personally like singles that go BOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWW when you whack the low string, the Injector didn't do that for me.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Yup, they're good. I also agree with swapping the bridge out for a stacked 'bucker like a Dimarzio Tone Zone S, Super Distortion S, or Fast Track 2.

And +1 to the Iron Maiden comment, even though they use stacked/full-sized humbuckers. :)

Mordacain

Formerly 1-watt brigadier
Reaction score
The injector's good but a little thicker than your average single.

I personally like singles that go BOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWW when you whack the low string, the Injector didn't do that for me.

Yea, that's part of why I have so many strats now...different pickup platforms. I'm really digging the Fat 50s in my new strat. Single coils have a way of changing how one thinks about gain.

dr_game0ver

Reaction score
yeah something between iron maiden and malmsteen!!! i enjoy malmsteen tone!!

dr_game0ver

Reaction score
SD YJM fury or DP217 YJM signature?
and about a set of fender hot noiseless?

dr_kotasz

Custom
Reaction score
i found a sweet squier for nothing in a shop near my place and i want to know if it's good for old style metal (i can change pickups on it...or not... i also like vintage sound and classic rock)

about the guitar itself...it's a squier 20th anniversary!

Ask Yngwie and Iron Maiden...:hbang:
I.M. uses single-coil sized humbuckers in neck and bridge positions, but i don't know which types they're using.
I think, a medium power pu enough for almost any application.
For ex.: DiM Air Norton S in the bridge pos. and DiM HS-2-s in other positions. I have HS in my Jackson Soloist in the neck and middle, and they sound good.

amonb

Les Paul Fever
Contributor
Reaction score
I have a fastrack 2 in the bridge of one of my strats and it does all kinds of metal/hard rock just fine with no noise.

snowblind56

Reaction score
Ask Yngwie and Iron Maiden...:hbang:
I.M. uses single-coil sized humbuckers in neck and bridge positions, but i don't know which types they're using.
I think, a medium power pu enough for almost any application.
For ex.: DiM Air Norton S in the bridge pos. and DiM HS-2-s in other positions. I have HS in my Jackson Soloist in the neck and middle, and they sound good.

Both Adrian Smith and Dave Murray use Dimarzio Super Distortions in their Jackson and Fender signature guitars.