Is anyone else a neck pick up person?

• Thread starter Low Baller
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

wakjob

Reaction score
My neck pickups have to sound as clear as the bridge pickup.
I can't stand a neck pickup that sounds like the Tone control on the guitar got rolled back 3/4.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

mongey

Reaction score
love neck for cleans

although often live I just keep it on the bridge when switching from high gain to clean for a part.

one less thing to think about . too many times on stage I'll go from a clean part into a chugging part and wonder why my chuggs sound weird to realize I'm still on the neck

Science_Penguin

Reaction score
One of my biggest influences as a lead player is Dave Murray, so... Of course! Plus, a nice PAF or single in the neck makes fast-picked leads sound amazing.

Alex Kenivel

Stunt Guitar
Reaction score
I'm a Strat man, so eye don't listen to people that hold LPs anyway :lol:

As if the sarcasm wasn't clear enough, I really do like neck pickups. Neck pickup on a Strat with >24 frets with a dash of dirt makes me moist. On non strats (still usually S shaped, but not Fender) with humbuckers I'll usually use both pickups at once for clean tapping and thumping, and the Ionizer 7 neck pup in my SIR is nice and clear and sings great on warm leads..

Tr3vor

Reaction score
I'm a Strat man, so eye don't listen to people that hold LPs anyway :lol:

As if the sarcasm wasn't clear enough, I really do like neck pickups. Neck pickup on a Strat with >24 frets with a dash of dirt makes me moist. On non strats (still usually S shaped, but not Fender) with humbuckers I'll usually use both pickups at once for clean tapping and thumping, and the Ionizer 7 neck pup in my SIR is nice and clear and sings great on warm leads..

more than 24 frets? I thought those didn't have a neck pickup...

anyway, I like using the neck pickup for leads and cleans, but rhythm, I can't do it, too mushy for what I like to play.

celticelk

Reaction score
come on man you're on sso no one is gonna play rhythm on a neck pickup

Speak for yourself. I play the neck pickup 90-95% of the time. Granted, my tastes lean towards doom, jazz, dub, and other not-anally-tight styles, but those styles aren't automatically disqualified just because we're on SSO.

symorian

Reaction score
For shredding & a bit more technical solos that involves lots of string skipping&legato etc in the higher regions, I typically use neck. This gives more "definition" and a smoother/creamy, even sound on higher speeds.

To get enough clarity and the most out of low-end definition, I use bridge with tight & fast rhythm parts except if there are some parts where more articulation is needed in which case I use middle OR neck exclusively.

ncfiala

Silence you bastard
Reaction score
I play with only the neck pickup most of the time these days. But I listen to mostly doom at this point.

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
Neck pickup or at least middle for absolutely everything except modern metal rhythm, for me.

Edika

Reaction score
Really depends on the style of music and what sound you're trying to emulate. I've been playing mainly metal so bridge was for rhythm and some solos and neck for the rest of the solos and cleans or the combination of the two for cleans and soloing again.

When I started playing with a friend more rock/hard rock, especially bands that use Gibsons like Zeppelin and AC/DC, something wasn't right with the sound for rhythm until I switched to the neck pup.

Masoo2

Reaction score
I mainly stick with the neck on my RG8WNF for everything except modern metal rhythm, but I find that I ignore the neck pickup on my 7 and 6 strings.

tssb

Reaction score
as most here, i use neck for :
  • cleans - exclusively
  • leads, sweeps

there is however something else i've been using it for : dirty, mean & offending low gain rhythm tones.
I should clarify : i built a neck pickup, from 3 different pickups : telecaster bridge, strat single coil and a single coil-sized rails humbucker.
The single coil is for cleans, and the rails and telecaster were taken apart and frankenstein-ed into a single rails, the catch being that i have only one of the poles active (as if coil-tapped). Used with a normal high-gain tone, this sounds gnarly and mean, with the clarity of a bridge and bass oomph of the neck, all at about 60% the gain you'd expect.

TL;DR : coil-tapped rails in neck, with telecaster bridge pup parts at 60% of normal output = awesome rhythm tones

SubConArtist

Reaction score
mainly, with a strat i go... bridge for rhythm and neck for leads. i like that thick do da de do tone on my leads.

azyat

吉他之道
Reaction score
It seems that I used to almost exclusively use the neck for solos and leads since one of my first guitars, which was LTD EC-1000 (that thick tone of EMG 60 spiced with delay and a hint of chorus, yummy...).
And nothing can compare to that tone of lower strings with clean tapping:)

goldsteinat0r

Zib Zob Zabbity
Reaction score
I am usually holding a Les Paul and I love both pickups for different things. Mostly the neck for leads and when I need a rhythm part to be mostly balls.