Is it worth it to do this to an Ibanez?

Reaction score
I'm looking forward to getting a guitar in the next few weeks. I really like the look of an Ibanez xiphos, and that 24th fret access and neck through design is super tempting. The only issue is that I'd like to be able to have a good tremolo that doesn't go out tune so easily, and the edge 3 trem that comes with an xpt700 doesn't look like it will fit the bill.
If I can get one of these for $400ish, is it worth it to spend more to replace the bridge afterwords? If so, what type of bridge should I replace it with? I hear the edge pro and an OFR fits into the original cavity well.
I'd be super appreciative of any input or opinions that the community could give me, thanks.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Progvibe

Reaction score
You could pick up a Floyd Rose Special for around $100. They're the same dimensions as the OFR's and are a lot more solid than the Edge III

GoldDragon

Reaction score
You could pick up a Floyd Rose Special for around $100. They're the same dimensions as the OFR's and are a lot more solid than the Edge III

I seond this. If it fits, a FRS with an OFR tone block is hard to beat.

Bloody_Inferno

Silence is Violence
Reaction score
Do what I did and jam a Gotoh in there:

1236752_627665893944231_1131478856_n.jpg

It's cheaper than an OFR but rock solid as one. It's got locking studs like the older Edges, a brass block and IMO, the absolute best trem arm torque in existence. I got a tech to install this for me and there's barely any routing evidence if not at all. This was my main touring guitar and stayed in tune no matter how hard I abused it.

GoldDragon

Reaction score
I think if you do install a FRS, you should try to install the posts and inserts as well. The Floyd posts have a very tight thread so they do not move even though they are not locking. The Ibanez posts have a more coarse thread and are looser thus need the locking insert.

If you can find Ibanez locking posts, use those with an FRS.

Reaction score
Do what I did and jam a Gotoh in there:

It's cheaper than an OFR but rock solid as one. It's got locking studs like the older Edges, a brass block and IMO, the absolute best trem arm torque in existence. I got a tech to install this for me and there's barely any routing evidence if not at all. This was my main touring guitar and stayed in tune no matter how hard I abused it.

Do you have an idea how much routing is involved? Is it on the face of the guitar or on the interior? I'm pretty good with woodworking projects like this, but if there's a chance that I would have to do some paint matching or something along that vein, I'd like to avoid doing so.

Bloody_Inferno

Silence is Violence
Reaction score
Upon closer inspection, it looks like he slightly shaved the inner walls of the cavity so the outer bolts don't hit the body. I don't remember him saying anything about refilling the stud inserts and redrilling so I can't comment whether he did that or not.

Reaction score
You can replace the Edge III with an Edge Pro. Done this before, takes zero routing and works like a charme.

I think that this is going to be the path I take, I just have to save up a bit more cash to buy an edge pro, which for whatever reason a lot more expensive than an OFR.

EDIT: Does anyone know if I have to change the studs from the original edge III to the edge pro?

Jarmake

Frost Giant
Reaction score
OFR and edge pro fits most of the time. I've had some guitars that needed a bit of routing/shaving to fit better trems. I'd suggest to go the gotoh-way in this case. Superior trem design, compared to anything. Locking posts, brass block, great trem arm assembly and so on. If you'd live in eu-area, I'd recommend a swedish site, but you're in oregon so there's no point to it... :)

pushpull7

Banned
Reaction score
Edge pro is a good choice, though locking stud mod isn't a bad idea.