Is there a housing I can buy to convert a passive humbucker to fit an active soap at route?

• Thread starter MoistTowelette
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MoistTowelette

Reaction score
i just got an rg2228 and I wanted to swap out the emgs for some used lundgrens. Are there any aftermarket soapbar 8 string housings available? I’d rather not rely on pickup rings.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jarledge

Reaction score
i have done it before with 7 string pickups, and they needed to have the base plate trimmed down to fit in the covers. It worked though and they sound great. I don't recall the size cover you need, I think it might be a 6 string bass cover, but you'll have to measure/double check.

Adieu

Reaction score
Cover's not the problem

Legs may or may not fit untrimmed, and then you need an appropriately sized piece of foam or something for height adjustment

Inside of the cavity is USUALLY painted and rarely unfortunate enough looking to ruin it

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Cover's not the problem

Legs may or may not fit untrimmed, and then you need an appropriately sized piece of foam or something for height adjustment

Inside of the cavity is USUALLY painted and rarely unfortunate enough looking to ruin it

It's not too bad, but yeah, you pretty much need to "ruin" the pickup in some cases. Not a big deal if you plan on keeping it, but if you flip and move gear it's not going to work. Then again, some might be in the market for soapbar housing passives.

What I've done in the past is line the plastic cover with double-stick tape, snip off or bend the pickup legs out of the way, and then just use the soapbar holes for height adjustment. For foam, any hardware store should have the type they use for insulating ill-fitting door jambs and outlet vents. It's nice and firm and holds up well. Just stick some of that to the bottom.

LeviathanKiller

Knee-shooting Archer
Reaction score
Basically what everyone else here has mentioned. It destroys the pickup but there are metal covers that can be slid over normal passive pickups to make them work in a soapbar route. Sometimes the baseplate edge will be soldered to the metal cover in those cases. I'm not sure how it would affect the sound entirely though since your pole pieces will likely be hidden. I'd think it would be difficult to find a soapbar cover with pole holes that line up perfectly since most of the soapbar covers will screw/pole holes I have seen are very clearly Chinese imports. They are cheap though so it might be worth a shot.