Is there a pickup out there with mixed magnets?

• Thread starter Camer138
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Camer138

Reaction score
just curious if this exists or if it would even work. would be cool to have a pickup with ceramic in the low strings and alnico in the high strings.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Strobe

Reaction score
Seymour Duncan makes a single coil with alnico V on the low strings and alnico II on the high strings. I have yet to see the Ceramic/Alnico combo you describe. It could definitely be done, but I suspect you may have to go custom to get it.

littlephil

Reaction score
I had the same thought a while ago. I haven't actually tried any magnet swaps like that, but I think the ceramic magnet would over-power the alnico side a bit. Obviously there would be quite a bit of interaction between the two as well.

Kamikaze7

Banned
Reaction score
From what I was told, the Seymour Duncan Invader has 3 different magnet types in it... Which ones I don't know, but I was informed this by the folks at SD themselves. It was found out upon inquiring about getting a price on a Custom Shop Invader 7-string single coil. They told me it couldn't be done because there's no way to fit all 3 magnet types into that housing, then still need to wind the coil itself, and the monsterous hex head pole pieces that's on it.

If you can do a little more research on it, someone some where has the answer to that and which 3 magnet types are used in that pickup...

littlephil

Reaction score
From what I was told, the Seymour Duncan Invader has 3 different magnet types in it... Which ones I don't know, but I was informed this by the folks at SD themselves. It was found out upon inquiring about getting a price on a Custom Shop Invader 7-string single coil. They told me it couldn't be done because there's no way to fit all 3 magnet types into that housing, then still need to wind the coil itself, and the monsterous hex head pole pieces that's on it.

If you can do a little more research on it, someone some where has the answer to that and which 3 magnet types are used in that pickup...

Was it 3 magnet types or 3 magnet sizes? I know the Bareknuckle Painkiller and Aftermath have 3 different sized magnets in them, rather than just a single bar magnet.

Kamikaze7

Banned
Reaction score
Was it 3 magnet types or 3 magnet sizes? I know the Bareknuckle Painkiller and Aftermath have 3 different sized magnets in them, rather than just a single bar magnet.

From what the woman at the S.D. Custom Shop told me, it was 3 different magnet types.

Camer138

Reaction score
From what the woman at the S.D. Custom Shop told me, it was 3 different magnet types.

it was a woman... what do they know?

kidding aside, the invader doesnt sound up my alley, i hope someone perfects this idea into an amazing pickup

Sepultorture

Murder Machine
Reaction score
The invader is very bass massive, almost too much for my liking

although Nile make good use of them as they have them in all theire guitars

Shrooms

THE WALLS ARE MELTIN
Reaction score
"The combination of 3 large ceramic magnets, hot coils, and 12 black oxide cap screws give this awesome pickup bolts of volts for an electrifying force of energy"

Says google..

Camer138

Reaction score
indeed they wouldnt, though i guess you wouldnt need a chorus pedal if you had those magnets... not that anyone really NEEDS a chorus pedal.. just saying.

Kamikaze7

Banned
Reaction score
it was a woman... what do they know?

From what I've heard and been told, the woman I spoke to who had an asian/oriental voice, she is the head honcho of Duncan's Custom Shop. So in giving that, I'd say she obviously knows her shit if she's the head of the Custom Shop...