Is there any "proper" way to play on the endurneck?

• Thread starter JVCguitar
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

JVCguitar

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

So I just got a new Strandberg Boden OS 8, and it's definitely something totally different. I really like the endurneck, specially the FF, but I am concerning if I am taking the best approach for it. So, is there any "best" way to play with it? Like, am I supposed to follow the line of the neck or something? So far i feel comfortable, but I really would like to know that and give it a try.

Is actually my first experience with 8 strings, FF, ebody fretboard, and endurnecks, so any advice is appreciated :)

Thanks!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

cubix

Spring of 86
Reaction score
As far as I know no. You have to play it however it feels comfortable for you. I switch my thumb between the 3 flat planes all the time, they are there to give you more support than a rounded surface. On the lower register I tend to use the middle part of the Endurneck the most but on the upper (around 12 and above) I use the top angled plane for my thumb. You just have to get the feel for it and find what works for you.

KnightBrolaire

Say yes to Chugs
Reaction score
the idea is that you're supposed to keep your thumb on the flat part, the shape should guide your thumb though personally I don't think it really matters. The hands move however they move.

sezna

undermotivated
Contributor
Reaction score
As far as I know no. You have to play it however it feels comfortable for you. I switch my thumb between the 3 flat planes all the time, they are there to give you more support than a rounded surface. On the lower register I tend to use the middle part of the Endurneck the most but on the upper (around 12 and above) I use the top angled plane for my thumb. You just have to get the feel for it and find what works for you.

Same for me. My thumb basically lies flat on the middle plane until above fret 12ish (depending on the string) and then it switches to the top plane and maximum comfort is achieved.

Matt794

Reaction score
For the most part, I'm on board with what everyone is saying so far, but I think the best thumb position changes depending on how you hold the guitar.

When playing in a classical position, I think it's comfortable and intuitive to keep my thumb close to the center of the neck. If I hold my guitar like most folks hold a strat or an LP, then I find it more comfortable to let my thumb wrap around the neck a bit.

MSUspartans777

Reaction score
There are three flat planes no matter where you are on the neck. It doesn't matter which one you place your thumb but keep it on one of the flat surfaces so your thumb comfortably anchors your hand.

oniduder

HONKEY DONKEY
Reaction score
this question is like asking is there a right/correct way to place your hand on any neck

there are certainly better ways or more ergonomic ways ie ways that would benefit your not getting sore or whateve, but no "right" way

anywho

bye!!

ite89

Reaction score
Hmmmm I guess there's no straightforward answer to that. I think the endurneck really just to accommodate the most common thumb positioning guitar players have. So I think that you could play as you normally would on an standard neck with the added benefit of having a more stable surface and the fact that by following the neck carve in any of the 3 planes would never flex your wrist at more than a 90 degree angle. I tend to shift between a classical position and a thumb over the neck position. Having an endurneck just makes me a little more conscious of this fact. Really interested to try the new toone profile necks but I don't think it's available for non-Rick toone guitars.

Reaction score
I find that when I'm playing on the bass strings (esp. near the nut), I'll actually have my thumb on the treble-side plane of the neck. For me that seems to have almost as much to do with it as which fret I'm on.