Is there anyone using Djinn Bass by submission audio?

bozoshmee

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I am using reaper. just bought/downloaded djinn bass.

I tried googling some tutorials for it and almost all videos are just reviews or demos. Not really how to use it, tutorials with importing midi, or examples of how to use features.

I only opened it up for less than half an hour last night but from a first look it seemed a bit confusing to me and was also dissapointed that there wasn't any bend articulations. (this is my fault for not checking the articulations before hand.)

I tried to import some midi from guitar pro of the bass I had there and when I clicked play, there was no sound. But, if I clicked on a note in the imported midi, it would then make sound? or if I wrote in new midi.

the tuning being a knob is also a bit confusing to me? like what is actually happening when the knob is adjusted? like if I write in or import midi, then put the knob to -1.0 is that going to change all the notes a full step down? I suppose what I find confusing is if you are writing in notes on a midi editor instead of frets for strings, how is the "tuning" even relevant?

Either way I'm going to open it up when I get home tonight and do some more messing around but ya mainly would love to just see if a person has actually used it.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

bozoshmee

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
okay so I now have answers to all my questions and a couple more. keep in mind I am using reaper.

1. I imported my midi bass info from guitar pro to use with djinn bass but the notes aren't making sound?
-click the "i"(info tab) on the top right and change midi channel to omni(i should have known this from the same thing being needed when importing midi to use with GGD)

2. my midi bass that I imported from guitar pro is showing up an octave lower than it should be?
-hit ctrl+a to select all your notes, then click and drag all the notes up to correct octave. (i suspect it puts it an octave lower because it's bass)

3. what does the tuning knob do?
-seems to just adjust the sound up or down by 1 semitone at a time. So putting it up or down by 12.0 will bring you up or down an octave respectively(all within djinn bass plugin, no midi inputs are effected by this.)

still no bends. I may try to use the slide in it's place for now? no bends or reverse bends for a plugin geared towards 7/5 strings is odd because it's a common articulation in the genre(s).

bonus if someone is reading this that is newer to reaper like myself
-go to preferences then Media>Midi>Midi octave name display offset: set to "-1.0"
This made both GGD and DJinn bass actually display the correct midi notes being referred to in the respective VST (this part was super briefly mentioned in the tutorials on the site, which led me to looking more into it and finding the answer on forums)

1,2,3 were not mentioned in the videos

Lorcan Ward

7slinger
Reaction score
Guitar Pro being an octave lower is a flaw in how it exports midi. You just get used to always dragging everything up an octave when you drop it into the piano roll.

For bending you should be able to do it within your DAW.

bozoshmee

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Guitar Pro being an octave lower is a flaw in how it exports midi. You just get used to always dragging everything up an octave when you drop it into the piano roll.

For bending you should be able to do it within your DAW.
how would you go about doing it in the DAW, fine sir?

GunpointMetal

Reaction score
how would you go about doing it in the DAW, fine sir?
In Reaper at the bottom of the MIDI editor you can see a drop-down menu for command change stuff and one of them is Pitch. You can draw in pitch automation by holding CTRL and clicking across the line, it will work like a pitch wheel on a keyboard. If you have snapping on it will snap the automation points to the beat. If you turn off snapping you can do it more freehand.

bozoshmee

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
In Reaper at the bottom of the MIDI editor you can see a drop-down menu for command change stuff and one of them is Pitch. You can draw in pitch automation by holding CTRL and clicking across the line, it will work like a pitch wheel on a keyboard. If you have snapping on it will snap the automation points to the beat. If you turn off snapping you can do it more freehand.
thanks dude!