Is this Greco Les Paul worth buying?

• Thread starter Breeding The Spawn
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Breeding The Spawn

Reaction score
I have been looking to buy a Greco Les Paul for a while now but all the one's I am looking at ship from Japan and I have no experience buying guitars from Japan. I found this Greco about 1hour away from where I live, can any one tell me what model it is and if it's worth getting? Should I wait and keep looking? The one I am after has an ebony fretboard and has really nice shiny block inlays. If I do end up buying this, what can i do about that terrible carving they did in the back of the guitar.

00F0F_2689jAIhhSC_0x20oM_1200x900.jpg 00V0V_alss4qJhxQp_0lM0t2_1200x900.jpg 00z0z_5PuoeCNemsu_0jy0t2_1200x900.jpg

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
$575 seems like a great price for a Greco these days. I'd jump on it.

To deal with that carving, though, you'd probably need some wood filler and a refinish job on the back end.

mbardu

Reaction score
Do you have the exact model number? They've had a pretty wide range.

Ps : you can also keep your options open. Buying from Japan at places like Ishibashi is actually super easy (barely an inconvenience).

Breeding The Spawn

Reaction score
Do you have the exact model number? They've had a pretty wide range.

Ps : you can also keep your options open. Buying from Japan at places like Ishibashi is actually super easy (barely an inconvenience).

Seller doesn't know what model it is, all he knows it's made in Japan.
Serial number :
123828598_10220877372236224_3416670377154360979_o.jpg

mbardu

Reaction score

wakjob

Reaction score
I'd take a Greco or Edward's over a Gibson in a NY minute, if it's a decent one.
Definitely go check it out. That's a super fair price IMO.

soliloquy

Reaction score
maybe i'm mixing Greco with Burny, but one of those has a wider range, where they CAN be made in China or Japan. For $575 for a Chinese guitar is kind of high (not saying anything bad about their craftsman ship).

but as an owner of a japanes les paul, and it being my favorite guitar of all time, i say try it. If it speaks to you, buy it!!

though that doesn't look like ebony board from the pictures

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
maybe i'm mixing Greco with Burny, but one of those has a wider range, where they CAN be made in China or Japan. For $575 for a Chinese guitar is kind of high (not saying anything bad about their craftsman ship).

but as an owner of a japanes les paul, and it being my favorite guitar of all time, i say try it. If it speaks to you, buy it!!

though that doesn't look like ebony board from the pictures

Some Greco stuff is South Korean made, and Burny were built pretty much everywhere at some point, including China.

Breeding The Spawn

Reaction score
I picked it up yesterday for much lower than the asking price. I was playing a bunch of Carcass riffs all day yesterday that I forgot to report back. So far I love it, except the frets are so thin and extremely low, having trouble keeping it in tune, the pickups are microphonic when playing at higher volumes. Going to take it in to my local shop and see if it needs a refret or if they can squeeze more life out of those tiny frets. I already ordered some witch hat knobs, I need to find a new nut, roller bridge and still haven't decided on what pickups. 20201121_122351.jpg

Dust_to_Dust

Mathew
Reaction score
The quote is lame as shit and belongs on the inner arm of some waifish hippie chick that smokes clove cigarettes but the rest of it is pretty awesome.
fuck

IMG-8900.jpg

Supernaut

Reaction score
I picked it up yesterday for much lower than the asking price. I was playing a bunch of Carcass riffs all day yesterday that I forgot to report back. So far I love it, except the frets are so thin and extremely low, having trouble keeping it in tune, the pickups are microphonic when playing at higher volumes. Going to take it in to my local shop and see if it needs a refret or if they can squeeze more life out of those tiny frets. I already ordered some witch hat knobs, I need to find a new nut, roller bridge and still haven't decided on what pickups. View attachment 87293

Wouldn't be surprised if that thing's had a fret crowning once or twice already if it's been well loved. Definitely get some new frets on that bad boy.