Iwrestledabearonce ft. Steve Vai

• Thread starter JoeyBTL
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TIBrent

Drop Z regular
Reaction score
Vai's kid is really into this band I think I read, which would make sense why he would do a guest solo. Every father wants to make their kid proud, so I don't think he phoned this on in at all, I think he got the track he got to solo over, was like 'crap what am I doing over this thing?' & did the best thing he could think of to it.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

poopyalligator

Dr.Poopyalligator
Reaction score
I respect the fact that Iwabo does their own thing, and are doing something different. However I find it almost unbearable to listen to their music.

ArtDecade

Way Cool Jr
Reaction score
Vai's kid is really into this band I think I read, which would make sense why he would do a guest solo. Every father wants to make their kid proud, so I don't think he phoned this on in at all, I think he got the track he got to solo over, was like 'crap what am I doing over this thing?' & did the best thing he could think of to it.

I'm not saying this isn't true... but where would anyone even find an interview with Vai's son... ? :scratch:

NSXTypeZero

Reaction score
I'm not saying this isn't true... but where would anyone even find an interview with Vai's son... ? :scratch:

Nah, he means that during an interview with Steve, when the interview got into talking about other artists, Steve brought up that one of his kids likes IWABO

ArtDecade

Way Cool Jr
Reaction score
I think it's more likely that Steve Vai mentioned his son's musical tastes in an interview.

Nah, he means that during an interview with Steve, when the interview got into talking about other artists, Steve brought up that one of his kids likes IWABO

Ooops. Yup. That makes much more sense! :lol: Thanks for clarifying, lads - my old mind is losing it.

tommychains

That Guy
Reaction score
I respect the fact that Iwabo does their own thing, and are doing something different. However I find it almost unbearable to listen to their music.

Couldn't agree more, I think they're maybe just ahead of their time with the tempo changes and sometimes genre in a middle of a song?

will_shred

Wannabe audio engineer
Reaction score
I think they're maybe just ahead of their time

that's cool and all, but I'm going to say they're mostly trying to copy DEP but with a female singer. And less art....

A lot of these songs are insane for the sake of being insane, which is just stupid. It really seems that that they're forcing the writing process (as opposed to taking the writing process a little slower and letting songs evolve more through trial and error of riffs/timings) it seems like to me the music is just very adolescent in nature.

Don Vito

Reaction score
A lot of these songs are insane for the sake of being insane
It reminds me of campy B-movies and video games that use offensive "edgy" humor, but nobody is laughing...

IWABO is the Saints Row 3 of heavy metal.

ScrotieMcBoogerballs

Bringer of Storms
Reaction score
My friend has a total boner for this band but the appeal is lost on me.

I dig the clean singing parts but the way she does her screams or how they're recorded just sound bad to me. That goes for the old singer as well.

Vhyle

Jackson Shill
Reaction score
Don Vito said:
IWABO is the Saints Row 3 of heavy metal.

So the band runs around town, slapping the shit out of everyone with a 3-foot purple dildo?

Housty00

Reaction score
So the band runs around town, slapping the shit out of everyone with a 3-foot purple dildo?

Isn't that the premise for one of their music videos? :rolleyes:

But in all seriousness. I'm not huge on IWABO but I do dig them, and this song.

bnosam

Ibanez Player
Reaction score
That solo is kind of basic and boring. But I can't say I like that music, so I don't think Vai was too into it either, doesn't seem like his style.

pattonfreak1

Bored Member
Reaction score
...I don't think he phoned this in at all, I think he got the track he got to solo over, was like 'crap what am I doing over this thing?' & did the best thing he could think of to it.
Are you kidding? Vai thinking 'crap what am I doing over this thing?'

Steve toured with Frank Zappa when he was NINETEEN years old. And Frank utilized as much odd time and dissonance as any band going today (albeit of a different nature.)

I don't think it's in Vai's nature to think that at all...

Ever

7Heavyness

Banned
Reaction score
what the hell was that?!
Oh thank God it was only a bad drea..........noise.