Jackson American Series

• Thread starter DaddleCecapitation
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

groverj3

Bioinformagician
Reaction score
@Zado @groverj3 so the things that I noticed were poorly crowned frets mostly, there was also a significant amount of paint on the fretboard edge (in multiple spots) that bled into the fretboard. It was pretty ugly. It looked like a poorly made import guitar.
That's a bummer. As Max said, I've heard of some finish flaws, but haven't seen them myself. Likewise, the fretwork on the 4 I've played has been very good. There was a youtube guy that sent one back that had issues, but then got a replacement that was perfect. All I can claim is that my experiences were good.

Have yet to play one of these american series soloists, but the MIJ stuff has been awesome in my few experiences, and they use a gotoh floyd which in my humble opinion is better than the german one even.
As further commentary on the subjective nature of these things, one of the guys at Axe Palace told me they rejected the majority of MJ series stuff they received for what they deemed to be unacceptable fretwork, which matches inconsistency they said they've had with Ibanez models from Fujigen. On the other hand, they had nothing but good things to say about the fretwork on the American Series SL3 when I asked by comparison. However, they did note that some had some finish overspray and other misc. finish flaws. I kind of take things they say with a grain of salt at times, because they have VERY high standards and definitely reject guitars that I would think are fine.

oremus91

Melodeth-er
Reaction score
As further evidence of the subjective nature of these things, one of the guys at Axe Palace told me they rejected the majority of MJ series stuff they received for what they deemed to be unacceptable fretwork, which matches inconsistency they said they've had with Ibanez models from Fujigen.

I heard that too, I'm sure he's seen way more than I have so I would trust him, I only played a few.

groverj3

Bioinformagician
Reaction score
I heard that too, I'm sure he's seen way more than I have so I would trust him, I only played a few.
I think the only way to really know this stuff and compare in an unbiased fashion between manufacturers and factories is to have direct access to logs about fretwork and finish that a large volume retailer like Sweetwater keeps. Without that kind of data everything ends up being a battle of trying to convince others about their anecdotal experiences and brand fanboys arguing.

My own personal take is, if you think you'll like something, buy it, if it's not good enough return it for another. And always be prepared to pay for, or do, a fret level and crown. Should you have to do that? Probably not. However, it's kind of a crapshoot regardless of how much money you pay or what brand it's from.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

neptoess

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I think the only way to really know this stuff and compare in an unbiased fashion between manufacturers and factories is to have direct access to logs about fretwork and finish that a large volume retailer like Sweetwater keeps. Without that kind of data everything ends up being a battle of trying to convince others about their anecdotal experiences and brand fanboys arguing.

My own personal take is, if you think you'll like something, buy it, if it's not good enough return it for another. And always be prepared to pay for, or do, a fret level and crown. Should you have to do that? Probably not. However, it's kind of a crapshoot regardless of how much money you pay or what brand it's from.
Your personal take is spot on with mine

Wiltonauer

SS.org Regular
Reaction score

A much as I’ve tried to convince myself at times that my pitifully small sample sizes and propensity towards confirmation bias are somehow a substitute for wide-ranging experience, this is unassailable good sense.

neptoess

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
A much as I’ve tried to convince myself at times that my pitifully small sample sizes and propensity towards confirmation bias are somehow a substitute for wide-ranging experience, this is unassailable good sense.
You broaden your horizons big time when you convince yourself it’s fine to just wing it and return it if you don’t like it. I’d never have a Gibson if I wasn’t willing to order it and see how I liked it.

Wiltonauer

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
You broaden your horizons big time when you convince yourself it’s fine to just wing it and return it if you don’t like it. I’d never have a Gibson if I wasn’t willing to order it and see how I liked it.

And it certainly can be fine to wing it. I take risks on used pedals all the time, but when it comes to guitars, I prefer to deal with bricks-and-mortar retailers or stand-up online sellers, so that either I get to play it first or I know that I can return it if there are issues. I’ve decided that I want a few decent Gibsons, and I have enough confidence in my own judgment to trust it over the online noise from people who’ve never seen the actual guitar I’m looking at. If a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush, it’s worth at least a few hundred people telling you that it’s actually a Pez dispenser you’re holding.

Zado

Reaction score
Not mine, but I thought these were better

433006060_971649514963021_8889195480373901477_n.jpg

433135376_971649471629692_5020521955708905742_n.jpg

433001144_971649464963026_6533967785977995986_n.jpg

nightsprinter

resident pat metheny fanatic
Reaction score
That fretboard is horrendous.

I understand ditching the dye to save money on labor and time. But yowza, that looks like FMIC Jackson Indonesia lumber.

I want to love the American series, and I'm sure there are some fine instruments in the line. It just seems too hit or miss for the price when I can buy an upper-tier import Schecter or MIJ Ibanez and feel a lot more confident that I'll get something I like and will like looking at, per my subjective tastes. These MIA Jackson's are cool but they aren't worth the shake for my nitpickage.

Also, I wonder how that concave dimple happened by the selector switch. I see that all the time on matte Charvel MIM bodies, which I I'm not mistaken, some of the MIA Jacksons have DK24 bodies, no?

eaeolian

Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The finish was fine on the two Virtuosos I played - maybe it's a "painting the neck" issue? Although the one SL3 was fine, too.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
More than anything, it looks "cheap". The lack of headstock binding strikes hard too

Yup, unfinished/cheap/etc, especially with soft, matte finish edges through too; no idea why they thought this was the move.