Jackson B8 (Deluxe/MG) vs Carvin DC800

• Thread starter The Scenic View
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

The Scenic View

Reaction score
Hey guys, 'n gals, I'm stuck in a dilemma at the moment. I'm currently looking to pickup and upgrade to a new 8 string in the future (possibly summer time), and as much as I would like a full blown custom from Bowes or Black Water, I simply do not want to wait more than a year for my guitar to arrive. Which leaves me two options; the Jackson B8 (Deluxe or MG), and the Carvin DC800.

What is the general consensus for the two? Customization is nice, but not overly necessary, as my main concern is play-ability, and tone. How do each guitar feel when they're played standing up or sitting? How are the necks (radius, feel, ergonomics etc.)? How is the upper fret access? I'm sick of playing guitars that come with 24 frets, and only 22 can be comfortably accessed. Leaving the last 2 to be awkwardly reached. Hardware quality (I don't want to replace the pots and tuners on a $2K+ guitar...) Finish quality?

I know the Carvins are pretty popular here, while the Jacksons are creeping their way in. All I'm asking for is a fair review of your experience with either or (I know not many people on here have a B8), and no bashing on the opposing brand because you don't like them! If anymore info is needed, please feel free to ask! Thanks.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Danukenator

Kane's Bane
Reaction score
USA Jacksons have consistently out played Carvins in terms of feel (personal), finish, build quality and quality of fretwork.

However, the ultimate decision rests on which you prefer, I'd try to play both of them.

The Scenic View

Reaction score
^Unfortunately I don't have outlets to try both. I asked one of my local music stores about return policies and they basically said I was the guinea pig haha, and I'm not sure if I could just spec out a very basic DC800 and send it back after I've gotten a "feel for it" within Carvin's return policy. They'd probably want some decent info on why I'm sending it back (assuming).

amogtr

Reaction score
^Unfortunately I don't have outlets to try both. I asked one of my local music stores about return policies and they basically said I was the guinea pig haha, and I'm not sure if I could just spec out a very basic DC800 and send it back after I've gotten a "feel for it" within Carvin's return policy. They'd probably want some decent info on why I'm sending it back (assuming).

As long as you don't have any option 50s (unlisted options) you can send it back within 10 days for any reason. You don't even need to have a reason other than not liking it.

Given To Fly

Reaction score
I had the opportunity to play the Jackson B8 Deluxe with a Natural Matte finish yesterday. I happened to have my RG2228 with me as well so I got to directly compare both models. I'll talk about that in another thread though.

To directly address your concerns:
- access to all 24 frets was the best I've ever experienced. Its hard to explain without pictures but if you are having problems reaching all 24 frets on this guitar, it's a "you" problem. :yesway:
- if you have to change any hardware on the B8 it will be because of personal preference.
- the Natural Matte finish made this B8 look like it was straight from the forest with a slight sheen added to it. However, like most matte finishes, it will wear away faster and be more susceptible to nicks and scratches, but thats just the nature of the beast.

The guitar felt and appeared extremely solid in terms of build quality. Some guitars feel like a bunch of parts thrown onto some wood, the B8 felt as natural as it looked. It may have been because of this visual simplicity that made me think $2300 was a little high, but after an hour or so I thought you are literally getting a $2300 guitar for $2300; nothing more, nothing less.

Orgalmer

Chuggasaurus Rex
Reaction score
Unfortunately never played a B8, but they look pretty awesome. I do have a DC800 though.

Playability is pretty nice, it balances well when standing and rests nicely when you're seated. It's kind of heavy I guess and the neck, while thin, isn't the thinnest I've ever seen but very comfortable to play. I prefer neck thru as well so the Carvin gets bonus points for that.
Even just looking at pics of the B8 I can tell that likely has better fret access than the DC800 although I have recorded stuff right up the very end of the neck without too many issues. As far as I can tell the hardware and finish are top notch. I've actually bumped it on a few things already and haven't scratched it once. I expected the complete opposite actually.
Stock pickups are pretty good and can cover a wide range of tones straight out of the box. I put a bone nut on my DC800 which improved the sound a little bit too. I don't know if my Carvin accommodates passive pickups, mine are active anyway, so that may be something to consider.

Honestly both of these guitars will be awesome though.

Mike

Reaction score
Well, the Jackson's probably have just a slight edge in quality/workmanship, but both are top notch. You're probably going to have to wait longer for the Jackson than the Carvin as many people who order the Jackson's are seeing around a 4 month+ wait. Carvins are 5-7 weeks. The Carvin stock A80's are better in my opinion than the EMG's but that's all personal preference. Carvin does offer the "Option 50" which means you can add an off the menu feature such as passive pickups/routes or EMG's, different finishes/paints, and probably whatever else you have in mind within reason that doesn't completely alter the DC800 body. Of course the price will also be effected as I've come to find most Option 50's are about $100. You could probably get two DC800's for the price of the B8.

I myself actually wanted a B8 for a while, but since I got my DC800, Carvin has all my want. Not to say I wouldn't love to get my hands on a nice fanned fret skervy, but thats a different story lol.

Whatever you go with I'm sure you'll be happy though, as they're both high quality guitars.

Seanthesheep

Reaction score

carvin gives you 10 days in which you can send it back for any reason. BUT it shows you being in canada and you will get screwed by charges at the boarder. I just ordered a carvin DCM1540L and when it arrived there was 128$ worth of taxes on top of the 76$ shipping fir a poweramp. Id personally say because of that just go jackson. Because if you pay to get a carvin up here and then send it back, you won't get that money back for shipping and taxes and I'm pretty sure you have to pay to ship it back

lewstherin006

Reaction score
I love my DC800; it was my first highend/custom guitar. The stock pickups are pretty good but i want to put BKPs in. I mean you could always just get both and either send one back or sell one. You cant go wrong with either one. I actually want to get a DC7x 27 inch from Carvin and Mark from periphery loves his DC800. He just started using them on tour. I hope that helps.

The Scenic View

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback everyone. I know I'd have to wait a few months for the Jackson to get here, rather than at most 2 months with the Carvin, but it's a price to pay right? As much as I love the colors and wood combinations that Carvin offer, I'm almost settling on the Jackson (with D-Activators, because I'm not the biggest EMG fan) due to the upper fret access which is an issue with me; personally. If Carvin would be able to shave that lower horn down even more without drastically changing the body design, so all 24 frets could be accessed without stretching for the top 2, I'd be all over it. I'm a perfect world I would be playing a JP8 BFR, lol... Keep it up guys! The more comments, and feedback the better!

Rastamoneq

Reaction score
I've owned 3 different class Jacksons (JS, DK and SLAT) and so far I have nothing against their stuff. Even more? The lowest class feels awesome besides a very muddy and floppy lows, the guitar is awesome all the way. The DK felt exactly like that one, but it had a trem, although I still kept playing on my previous Kelly. For now I'm using my Slat for so far 2 years and I'm planning to buy a new Jackson, which probably is B8Deluxe. Why? There's never been a guitar that felt so comfortable with my hand around. Also there's a kind of magic story of how I begun with my guitar. I'm gonna record a comparison of my 2 guitars as I sold the DK which I barely ever played. I'm also selling my Slat if anyone from around was interested ;).

Church2224

Guitar Whore
Reaction score
I had a B7 for five days. It was an excellent guitar overall and outplayed any Carvin I ever played, but I sent it back because of a crack in the fretboard, probably developed in transit from Jackson to the dealer.

That said, my dealer and Jackson were very understanding and handled the process very well. I sent an email to Jackson too about the issue and they contacted me promptly to rectify the situation. I would have gotten another but I found something else I wanted.

Rastamoneq

Reaction score
I had a B7 for five days. It was an excellent guitar overall and outplayed any Carvin I ever played, but I sent it back because of a crack in the fretboard, probably developed in transit from Jackson to the dealer.

That said, my dealer and Jackson were very understanding and handled the process very well. I sent an email to Jackson too about the issue and they contacted me promptly to rectify the situation. I would have gotten another but I found something else I wanted.

What did You get instead?

littledoc

Go meat!
Reaction score
I haven't played the Jacksons, but I have owned a DC800 and it was immaculate. I recently parted with it only because I decided an eight-string isn't really my style. I've heard only good about the Jacksons, but the DC800s are hugely popular among ERG players, and I can definitely see why.

How a premium guitar "plays" is largely a function of setup and things like fret size, fretboard radius and neck profile, which are obviously very subjective so I'd take someone saying this or that "plays better" with a massive grain of salt. And while I think the Jacksons look cool, I could never personally justify spending the $600-$800 more for an axe when Carvin allows you to choose from a variety of woods, finishes and fretwire. Plus you have to pay a premium to get a neck-through from Jackson, whereas it's standard design on the DC800.

I'll just wrap it up like this: They're both highly regarded guitars from highly regarded manufacturers. I don't think you'll be disappointed regardless of the route you take.

HaloHat

Baritones
Reaction score
Seattle WA. & Richfield, UT. & Valencia, Spain
As long as you don't have any option 50s (unlisted options) you can send it back within 10 days for any reason. You don't even need to have a reason other than not liking it.

True :agreed: and you can take your pick of money back, rebuild or something totally different.

Jackson USA Custom Shop I owned was very good quality [Soloist 6 string] and honestly the Carvin [also a 6 string] I had was just as good in every respect quality wise.

I currently have a DC7X on order. Can't beat Carvin's options, quick build times, good prices and especially the 10 day return with no run around [assuming no op 50 issue].

The Scenic View

Reaction score
I'm almost thinking of ordering a bare-bones DC00 (with respective options that are gonna make the guitar a little more personal), and give it the 10 day shot. I should almost do that soon so I can use my reading weak to play the hell out of the guitar and get a final verdict on it. Unfortunately I can't really do that with the B8 :/ Anyone on here have experience with Gear-Hounds? I read a few reviews, and it was a 75/25 verdict, which is alright. I'm curious to know their return policy and how people have worked with it.

danresn

Reaction score
I have always been impressed by the quality and finish of Jackson guitars across all of their price ranges. Maybe not relevant but I own a japan made Jackson DK2M. I've had people used to playing high end Ibanez and Gibson Custom shops that wanted to buy my guitar from me because they thought it was fantastic with stock hardware.

Latest posts