Jackson/Charvel 2022 thread

Scalphunter

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I'm thinking of getting a quote on a Custom Shop Warrior but I had a question. Is the Extreme Warrior Masterbuilt only? I know Pablo Santana made these for Jackson in the late 2000s and that Masterbuilt is all but closed to the general population, but is this body shape and inlay work considered Masterbuilt? I'm looking to go with a 6 string with 1 bridge humbucker Bill Lawrence L500XL, the same extreme sharkfin inlays, and a Kahler fixed bridge.

Extreme Warrior.png

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

oracles

Reaction score
I'm thinking of getting a quote on a Custom Shop Warrior but I had a question. Is the Extreme Warrior Masterbuilt only? I know Pablo Santana made these for Jackson in the late 2000s and that Masterbuilt is all but closed to the general population, but is this body shape and inlay work considered Masterbuilt? I'm looking to go with a 6 string with 1 bridge humbucker Bill Lawrence L500XL, the same extreme sharkfin inlays, and a Kahler fixed bridge.

View attachment 102865

AFAIK that would classify as masterbuilt. Depending on the dealer, they *might* be able to get an order through, but by and large all masterbuilt options are off the table unless you're an endorsed artist.

Scalphunter

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
That's what I was afraid of. Is inlay work also restricted or can they put whatever inlays you want on custom select? I'm going through Sweetwater, so I'll know for sure in a few days, I guess.

Aso

Single Hum Zealot
Reaction score
That's what I was afraid of. Is inlay work also restricted or can they put whatever inlays you want on custom select? I'm going through Sweetwater, so I'll know for sure in a few days, I guess.
Anymore it's pretty much locked to them only allowing options that are on the custom select form. They are so backlogged with orders and don't get guitars out very fast. I am still waiting on a guitar from them that placed the order in Feb of 2019.

Also prices for custom shop guitars took a big increase in price in the last year.

I also don't think they would even take an order for the extreme shapes Pablo made unless you were endorsed by them.

Scalphunter

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
That sucks. Not much of a custom shop, is it? I'd ordered a custom shoselect soloist in 2019 and it was delivered in 2020. I'll update here on what I hear back from Sweetwater.

1b4n3z

Reaction score
Custom selects are approaching €6000 so I wonder if master built guitars at Jackson have already shot past five figures :)

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
Idk how, but painted headstocks make it look much cheaper than bare.
The roasted maple neck and fretboard match on the USA Jackson Strat really well. So it looks... weird having a finished headstock on the MJ Strat.

Jackson-Custom-Shop-Limited-Edition-Misha-Mansoor-So-Cal-HSS-2PT-Heavy-Relic-Daphne-Blue.jpg

2904008827_jac_ins_far_01_rr.jpg

Aso

Single Hum Zealot
Reaction score
Custom selects are approaching €6000 so I wonder if master built guitars at Jackson have already shot past five figures :)
My order I am waiting on was a little over €5000 and it was ordered as a Masterbuild (lucked into the spot). I know there have been 2 or 3 prices increases since then and to order the same guitar now we be 2-3k more is what I was told.

Scalphunter

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I got an update on the Warrior custom shop. They confirmed that the Extreme Warrior shape would be a masterbuilt. Not only that but even a Kahler fixed bridge or any bridge other than what's on the spec sheet would be a masterbuilt. They possibly can do those inlays but I'm waiting on confirmation for that. I also learned that when you ask for a pickup not on the list, Jackson will install it for 3x the price and that they'll still charge for a pickup even if you only want them to route for it and don't select one of the options. So Sweetwater is willing to install the bridge and pickup for me. I chose the default SD Invader so I'll have that as a spare once Sweetwater swaps it out for a LX500XL. Still haven't heard on a quote but that's the route I'll be going if the peice is viable.

mastapimp

Reaction score
I got an update on the Warrior custom shop. They confirmed that the Extreme Warrior shape would be a masterbuilt. Not only that but even a Kahler fixed bridge or any bridge other than what's on the spec sheet would be a masterbuilt. They possibly can do those inlays but I'm waiting on confirmation for that. I also learned that when you ask for a pickup not on the list, Jackson will install it for 3x the price and that they'll still charge for a pickup even if you only want them to route for it and don't select one of the options. So Sweetwater is willing to install the bridge and pickup for me. I chose the default SD Invader so I'll have that as a spare once Sweetwater swaps it out for a LX500XL. Still haven't heard on a quote but that's the route I'll be going if the peice is viable.
Not sure if i'm following you correctly or not. You want to buy the guitar from jackson, but avoid anything that will knock it out of the standard spec options (masterbuilt territory) and have Sweetwater take off the bridge, install a Kahler as well as do a pickup swap? Is Sweetwater your custom dealer? Won't that instantly void any kind of warranty. Seems like you may want to receive the guitar as built to make sure the other parts of the build are up to your expectations before diving in with hardware swaps.

Scalphunter

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Jackson won't be putting in any bridge AFAIK. Sweetwater will then install the bridge and swap the pickups. Not sure about the warranty but I'm pretty sure it'll be covered. I'll update here once I know more. I'm getting this build done through Sweetwater.

Mathemagician

Reaction score

Man, every single part of this from Jackson’s end reads like “We’re not going to outright say no, but we will price our way out of these requests for all but the most spendy.”

They have zero interest in working with this request.

And I’m not knocking your questions/wants at all.
Is it me, or does it seem strange to have to customize a 6k to 7k custom guitar?
There has to be other options out there.

Not if you want it to say “Jackson” on the headstock.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score

Jackson won't be putting in any bridge AFAIK. Sweetwater will then install the bridge and swap the pickups. Not sure about the warranty but I'm pretty sure it'll be covered. I'll update here once I know more. I'm getting this build done through Sweetwater.

I like Sweetwater, I buy a good amount of stuff through them, but I don't know if I trust them doing a bridge swap. I've had to work on some stuff their "techs" did prior and I wasn't overly impressed. :2c:

oracles

Reaction score
I dont think you could even get Jackson/FMIC to agree to a custom order that involves them not routing for and installing the bridge, or if they do, they'll absolutely tell you to kick rocks if theres any sort of warranty claims.

That whole scenario is way, way too risky for me personally. If you're dead set on that shape and those specs, cool, but I'd find a builder who's willing to do all those things instead of trusting a Sweetwater tech. Like Max said, their techs are...not great.

mastapimp

Reaction score
You may want to read up on their warranty info: https://support.jacksonguitars.com/en-us/knowledgebase/article/KA-02017
Item 5 mentions any issues with modifications or customizations are not covered.

Also, Jackson's not going to send out a guitar without a bridge...they won't be able to set it up, do QC on it, etc. It'll be completely out of their standard operating procedures and quality system. When you get a new jackson, it comes with a hang tag with initials for who did the check, setup, wiring, etc... None of those can be completed without a guitar that can't be strung up.

I'm gonna sound like an asshole, but this is a foolish idea and it'll never go through. Your best bet is to buy used (or new) and get a decent luthier to put in the bridge and pickups.

1b4n3z

Reaction score
I strongly recommend to not modify a CS Jackson in any way until you have gone over the guitar with utmost scrutiny - possibly have a great tech/luthier check it out as well. I have eight CS Jacksons from '86 to '19 and have handled many times that amount and I have very little faith in Jackson's quality control. They just don't care these days. Mine are good, but not $3000 good and I'd certainly never buy one without return option

Latest posts