Jackson/Charvel/EVH 2024

• Thread starter JimF
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Moongrum

Reaction score
How do you all feel about Pau Ferro?
I like how it feels, and am ambivalent about how it looks. The guitars I've played with pau ferro have a very tight smooth grain, not like rosewood, more like ebony. The look seems really variable, some are more reddish, others are brown, dark, light, I prefer (any kind of) black or maple color for my fretboards lol
Just my experience, I've only played two Fenders with Pau Ferro, and my experience ends there.

Riverview

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Wanted to add I’ve played both the 4 and 5 string Charvel basses in stores and would have walked out with either one if I wasn’t broke . They are extremely good basses . Especially if you’re into the PJ combo . The necks are killer on those things .

manu80

Reaction score
I saw the frankenstein serie (one color version, not striped ) in a shop last week end, I must admit I kinda like it.
The relic is pretty good for a "mass market" guitar, it was the red one and i must admit that it still in a corner of my head. we'll see. The black version is really nice too ;)

SalsaWood

Scares the 'choes.
Reaction score
What purpose does that scale serve?

I don't know about this model in particular but in general lower tension per tuning, spatially condensed fret intervals, bit warmer/rounder tone. PRS customs are 25" IIRC.

Earlier in the thread folks were talking about drawbacks and advantages, but most of it missed the mark. Fret size as a result of scale length is mostly irrelevant as long as you can fret the desired note correctly, it's not like playing a piano where if you can't get a whole booger hook on just one key it's pretty useless. What happens to the string above the indexed fret is mostly unsubstantial to what happens below it towards the pickups. The frets being more condensed in almost all cases makes it a lot easier to play different frets up and down the neck more quickly and with less stretching. That's not to say it's easier to adjust to or is most ideal all things considered for everyone, and I'm not going to get into the tonal or otherwise practical overarching implications since there are as many opinions on that as there are guitarists.

JimF

Contributor
Reaction score
Regarding the shorter scale length thing, I'm not a fan. Personally it just feels off. I don't know if that's in my head, but I do know that I've never really like any Gibsons I've played, and all the guitars I've owned I could never gel with turned out to be 25" scale. I do have big hands so perhaps that's it. I also much prefer a 27" scale 7 string to a 25.5".

USMarine75

Colorless green ideas sleep furiously
Contributor
Reaction score
I saw the frankenstein serie (one color version, not striped ) in a shop last week end, I must admit I kinda like it.
The relic is pretty good for a "mass market" guitar, it was the red one and i must admit that it still in a corner of my head. we'll see. The black version is really nice too ;)

I’m torn between the solid color Frankie Relic and the new Charvel Relic.

1713045815202.jpeg
1713045861292.png

complex-barb.0t

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Some cool stuff:
That 25.1 scale Ellis Kelly looks crazy. What purpose does that scale serve?

I wish there was a production model even if some of the specs were downgraded. 27 fret Kelly with everything after the 15th fret scalloped is pretty cool. Ditch the titanium bridge and do a mass market version of the gold paint job. Include Ellis’ new Dyad pickup.