Jackson DK2M (MIJ) - Nut issue and a lot of buzzing.

• Thread starter Amenthea
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Amenthea

Reaction score
I've had a DK2M in storage for a long time (5 years + at least) and so with not much to do in the evenings I retrieved it with the idea of getting it back up and running again. When I got it there was no setup, and everything was all over the place with intonation, bridge height and config, inlays popping out and broken pup rings etc.

I've replaced the rings so far, and the LFR looks solid if a little beat up. However I'm really not sure about the nut at all. It looks like it is too far over on the bass side and there is a ledge of about 1-2mm on the treble side, like they fitted a 42 rather then 43mm nut on there. I measured the width of the board at 0 fret/nut position and it is just over 43mm. Have I somehow got the wrong nut on there?

I did string it up and try it out, and it does feel like the bass string is going to fall off the edge of the fretboardwhen playing. It is also buzzing heavily, especially on the 2nd fret but going most of the way up the board. The LFR plate is level with the body, so it is going to need to be raised a bit I think and the relief is basically non-existent (I had to look up how to check, I'm a noob at this).

I imagine I'm going to be needing a 43mm nut to go on there, but there looks to be quite a few different versions (R3/R4 etc) so I'm a bit lost. Also it is going to need a truss rod adjustment and to be honest it will be my first rod adjustment ever, and I'm kinda scared of wrecking quite a solid and nice looking instrument. It's clockwise isn't it, a quarter turn at a time to create relief rather than a backwards bow?

Help! Images hopefully attached.

20200428_184910.jpg 20200428_184821.jpg

gunch

digidun digidun wakka wakka skree
Reaction score
Truss rods aren't as scary as you think, your neck isn't going to explode into splinters.

Floyd parts need shims and stuff all the time, I'd try that before hunting a new nut. Sounds like it's mega low on the bass side and between that and no relief you're in buzz city.

Framus sets up their action to 1.5 mm which, you can use a allen key that big as a cheap feeler gauge

Amenthea

Reaction score
Thanks, I went back to it a few days ago and the nut has a shim under it already so I must have tried that a while ago and then put it away again.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

lost_horizon

Reaction score
You may have to fill and redrill the holes for fixing the nut to the neck. Nut width looks correct just as others have said too far to one side.

Basically the higher the R number the flatter the radius and the wider the nut. e.g. R2 = 42mm 10 inch radius R3 = 43mm 12 inch.

The nut has a radius so by being out of alignment is fouling in all the wrong places. I like as wide a nut as possible for more straight string pull but depends what your bridge radius/fretboard radius are...

CrushingAnvil

Ironically enough, now in Jesus Land
Reaction score
You may have to fill and redrill the holes for fixing the nut to the neck. Nut width looks correct just as others have said too far to one side.

Basically the higher the R number the flatter the radius and the wider the nut. e.g. R2 = 42mm 10 inch radius R3 = 43mm 12 inch.

The nut has a radius so by being out of alignment is fouling in all the wrong places. I like as wide a nut as possible for more straight string pull but depends what your bridge radius/fretboard radius are...
R3 nuts are a lot taller than R2's. I learned this the hard way.

Latest posts