Jackson Pro series quality issues , NGD - Mick Thomson SL2

• Thread starter WLJMTG
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Exit Existence

Reaction score
Almost all guitars I've played in the past few years that came out of Indonesia have been shotty. My Jackson Misha Pro, a PRS SE and a Sterling JP I purchased all had weird stuff like this. Poor fretwork, plastic-y finishes, sloppy routing. What do they have in common?....Indonesian guitar factory. I just got a JS Jackson Rhoads made in China and it's honestly better build quality than my Misha which was almost 4x the price.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

JustinRhoads1980

Jackson Elitist
Reaction score
Almost all guitars I've played in the past few years that came out of Indonesia have been shotty. My Jackson Misha Pro, a PRS SE and a Sterling JP I purchased all had weird stuff like this. Poor fretwork, plastic-y finishes, sloppy routing. What do they have in common?....Indonesian guitar factory. I just got a JS Jackson Rhoads made in China and it's honestly better build quality than my Misha which was almost 4x the price.

Yeah I find that shocking that china can produce a better finished instrument compared to indonesia.

I refuse to buy anything Indonesian based on my experiences unless I have played it and thoroughly checked it over

Exit Existence

Reaction score
Perhaps different factories in those countries have different QC?
Yea, the Cort music instrument company used to have factories in Korea which while they made really good guitars there was controversy of some unethical worker conditions that caused a big stir. I'm pretty sure they moved production to Indonesia 2006/2007ish. They build for Jackson, PRS SE, Ibanez and others. One of the other Korean factories that's still pretty good in my opinion is World Music Instruments, which seems to do the higher end of LTD, Schecter, still a few PRS SE models, Solar guitars ect.
No clue on the China factories

bzhang9

Reaction score
Its hilarious people still equate country of origin to ability to build guitars, it's $$$ that drives quality.

You want ibanez premium specs on a prestige? Pay 2x
You want epiphone equivalent in a gibson? Pay 3x
If you pay a chinese/indo factory MIJ or MIA prices they'll put out a better guitar than US/Japan
They make a lot more complicated things than guitar
But they get paid junk by Jackson etc so gonna be some lemons

MASS DEFECT

SS.ORG Infiltrator
Reaction score
Yea, the Cort music instrument company used to have factories in Korea which while they made really good guitars there was controversy of some unethical worker conditions that caused a big stir. I'm pretty sure they moved production to Indonesia 2006/2007ish. They build for Jackson, PRS SE, Ibanez and others. One of the other Korean factories that's still pretty good in my opinion is World Music Instruments, which seems to do the higher end of LTD, Schecter, still a few PRS SE models, Solar guitars ect.
No clue on the China factories

And Solar gets better QC since they produce relatively low volume. I kinda like Ola's business model. Probably why people are ok to pay $1K for an Indonesian Solar.
Indo Jacksons on the other hand are on the bottom barrel of Fender's priorities.

JustinRhoads1980

Jackson Elitist
Reaction score
And Solar gets better QC since they produce relatively low volume. I kinda like Ola's business model. Probably why people are ok to pay $1K for an Indonesian Solar.
Indo Jacksons on the other hand are on the bottom barrel of Fender's priorities.

Would probably be a solar addict, but his neck profiles are too chunky for me

JimF

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi all,
I've bought a Mick Thomson SL2 in white. just shy of £750 ($950) arrived this morning, box was a bit tatty and beaten up, a few dents and holes and obviously previously opened and re-taped. Same goes for the inside of the box, horns of the guitar have clearly slammed about and hit holes in the packaging. Fearing the worst, I've unwrapped and inspected the guitar and I have to say, I am a bit disappointed.

OP! How are we doing with this? Any movement from the supplier?

WLJMTG

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Evening all,

I have very little news to update with, however...

we are nearing two weeks into my time with this heap of rubbish.

I finally grew tired of waiting a few days ago and phoned up again.
was again told, sorry its taking so long to get back to you, support are very busy but will be in touch asap..
so, I asked, do we REALLY need to wait on support? I'm not after advice or assistance with software or set up etc. I just want a replacement, are you able to authorise that ?
he tried getting confirmation from his manager, no such luck..

so, back to square one.. waiting game resumes.

since then, support have actually emailed back. so whatever he did during that call must have given them a bit of a kick up the arris.
they have agreed that it isn't acceptable - so that's good.
however of the 3 guitars they currently have in stock, they are split between 3 stores and he is unable to confirm if the boxes have been opened and demoed etc
so, would I like them to order a replacement direct from fender?

I have replied, asking for approximate lead times from fender.

which, when they do get back in touch, if the lead time is reasonable I'll accept that.

I have also , in the mean time of this debacle , treated myself to a rather nice new PC for studio use.. $$$ but - that's a new thread and new venture for me. :hbang: