Jazzy/Bluesy (preferably) Tube Pre-Amp Pedal

• Thread starter ElRay
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ElRay

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I know this is more in-line with the Gear sub-Forum, but I'm trying to avoid "metal on the clean channel" suggestions.

Unfortunately, the pre-amp on our JC-40 has developed "that hiss", fortunately, it has stereo-in on the effects loop and the built-in/in-built chorus (lush, due to stereo-out), etc. works fine. So the short-term idea is to get a pre-amp pedal that's good for a "jazz tone" when clean, but still can get into a Blues-like, edge of break-up, grit when necessary. A highly compressed sound is a no-go because I like that edge of break-up is clean, but playing harder/louder can push things over the distortion threshold.

Another factor is that I'm planning to add a piezo bridge to one electric and do stereo out. We already have a Fishman Aura DI Pedal (Classical w/ piezo->Aura DI->JC-40 is how this amp has been used mostly). When that happens, the plan is to run stereo mag & piezo into L/R return. So, if anybody has any hunches about a (mag) per-amp pedal would pair with a piezo sound, that would help.

My first assumption was to go with the matching Fishman Platinum Pro, but that's more of an EQ pedal. The obviously named Two Notes "Le Clean" demos well, but I don't have a way to try it out.

Any recommendations?

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Does it have to be a tube preamp? Whats your budget?

Should be able to do this with an HX stomp I imagine.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
I know this is more in-line with the Gear sub-Forum, but I'm trying to avoid "metal on the clean channel" suggestions.

Unfortunately, the pre-amp on our JC-40 has developed "that hiss", fortunately, it has stereo-in on the effects loop and the built-in/in-built chorus (lush, due to stereo-out), etc. works fine. So the short-term idea is to get a pre-amp pedal that's good for a "jazz tone" when clean, but still can get into a Blues-like, edge of break-up, grit when necessary. A highly compressed sound is a no-go because I like that edge of break-up is clean, but playing harder/louder can push things over the distortion threshold.

Another factor is that I'm planning to add a piezo bridge to one electric and do stereo out. We already have a Fishman Aura DI Pedal (Classical w/ piezo->Aura DI->JC-40 is how this amp has been used mostly). When that happens, the plan is to run stereo mag & piezo into L/R return. So, if anybody has any hunches about a (mag) per-amp pedal would pair with a piezo sound, that would help.

My first assumption was to go with the matching Fishman Platinum Pro, but that's more of an EQ pedal. The obviously named Two Notes "Le Clean" demos well, but I don't have a way to try it out.

Any recommendations?
The Le Clean is cool with a different pre tube. Could try some of the Tech 21 Character pedals (possibly Blonde, Liverpool, or maybe California), or the Horse/Mosky/Joyo clones thereof.

ElRay

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Does it have to be a tube preamp?
No, that's just preferred.
Whats your budget?
I'd like to stick around $250USD - Used is OK
Should be able to do this with an HX stomp I imagine.
I wasn't planning on going full amp modeler (yet). The other thing is that Line 6 plays almost the same "we claim to be macOS compatible, but we really don't support any recent OS" that Razer plays (although not as bad), never makes use of the developer releases that Apple provides, etc.

Last edited: