Jeff Loomis leaves Arch Enemy

• Thread starter Manurack
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
One video recently uploaded showing his new Jackson Kelly model with a Hipshot fixed bridge was a subtle and funny "fuck you" to AE...

"Hello, I'm Jeff Loomis of Arch Enemy" and proceeds to play old school Nevermore hahaha :lol:

"Hi here's Jeff Loomis with Arch Enemy, and I'm gonna show you arch enemy fans some actual good music"

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Velokki

GAS station
Reaction score
NNNNICE!

I always hated Loomis joining rch Enemy. I always said it was like George Kollias joining Volbeat.

Whatever he releases or whatever he decides to join next, it will be better than sticking in AE as a wage slave.

Edika

Reaction score
When he first joined Arch Enemy I was excited to hear how their sound would revitalise and improve. A few albums later of the same, if worse, stuff and neutered solos from Jeff, I couldn't wait until he'd move on to something even slightly interesting. When Amott plays better solos than Jeff in an album, you're feeling you're in the negative zone!

NoodleFace

Delicious Noodles
Reaction score
Could always tell his time was limited in AE. They probably have layers of management they need to run songs through these days to keep their image. It's a shame because for awhile AE was my favorite melodeath band, but oh well.

It'd be cool if Jeff started his own metal band. I never really got into Nevermore music because of the vocals, but I really loved the music. Always felt nevermore needed a death metal vocalist.

Those videos of Jeff playing the Jackson... if he played arch enemy songs it's literally just be power chords these days.

Ralyks

The One Who Knocks
Contributor
Reaction score
Good, would love if he started a new band that's like a continuation of Nevermore. What are Van and Jim up to? (Actually, apparently Van lives like 45 minutes from my area, met him at a Jeff Loomis/Soilwork show).

manu80

Reaction score
Opposite for me. Instrumentally i dig it, the voice not at all
Kinda like Belladonna vs John Bush. I miss John Bush

Do you guys think he’ll start a full band vs instrumental ?

p0ke

7-string guitard
Reaction score
I hated it at first, but over time I realized this also. His voice is what made the band unique.

Same here. But TBH I hope Loomis forms a new band similar to Nevermore with another vocalist.

Xiphos68

Reaction score
It's a great day in the music world. Good for Jeff. A waste of his musicianship.

I honestly would love to know why Chris didn't remain. He's really the most fitting. Glorious player too.

It will be cool to see him put an actual band together with Merrow or Broderick and get a singer that actually crushes vocally. Someone in the vein of Russell Allen or Dino. Not that there are many of those guys around. I'm sure if they took the time they could get someone good.

Xiphos68

Reaction score
As long as he keeps coming with amazing signature guitars ...
I truthfully wish he was back at Schecter and they just made him a U.S. sig finally and bring his South Korean's models back. His tone was so much better when he played them and ENGL's.

Last edited:

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
I truthfully wish he was back at Schecter and they just made him a U.S. sig finally and bring his South Korean's models back. His tone was so much better when played them and ENGL's.
I just noticed that in recent videos TBH. He used to have that uber saturated, treble-heavy sound but now it's dryer and more mid focused, almost djenty.

Xiphos68

Reaction score
I just noticed that in recent videos TBH. He used to have that uber saturated, treble-heavy sound but now it's dryer and more mid focused, almost djenty.
Unfortunately, I can't say I'm a fan of his new sound. His tone on TGE and his first solo record was glorious. Heck even the last Nevermore record was awesome tone wise.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Wages of sin was an awesome album and Chris Amott had some great leads.
Yeah Arch Enemy had great shit up until the Anthems. Doomsday was good but you can tell they were starting to get more and more same, and by the tame Khaos Legions came out (maybe earlier?) it just got boring as fuck.
It's weird how people try to solely blame this on Alyssa, the band started to get boring even during Angela's time.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
Yeah Arch Enemy had great shit up until the Anthems. Doomsday was good but you can tell they were starting to get more and more same, and by the tame Khaos Legions came out (maybe earlier?) it just got boring as fuck.
It's weird how people try to solely blame this on Alyssa, the band started to get boring even during Angela's time.

I would say Doomsday is the last really good AE album, after that there doesn't even seem to be like a "good" one; just like, 50/50 between good songs and snores which brings the whole thing down to a meh fast if I skip tracks to get to the ones I care about.

At that point they were a band reaching the double decade mark, and it seems like that's where any smart one would hang it up.