Jensen 10" speaker questions for post rock, Blackbird 100? Tornado 100?

• Thread starter Boy_Narf
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Boy_Narf

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

We are moving into a condo in the spring and I want to downsize my cabs as I find my current 12" cabs too much for even jamming in my basement (at lower volumes). I've been through a pile of 12's and they all seem to want to be cranked up. I've got a Jensen in a Pro Jr combo which I really love. It's ratty, chimey and just sounds great no matter what I play through it. I've also got a Rocker 15 combo with the VOTW speaker which I surprisingly like. It's fast punchy and sounds great at lower volumes, hence my current infatuation with 10" drivers.

These won't be for rehearsing or jamming, just low-med volume practice and recording.

I'm on the hunt to get a compact 1x10 cab with a half decent speaker in it and since I like the P10R soo much in my PJ I figured I would give Jensen a shot. I play post rock/modern prog using an Orange Rocker 30 so has to be at least 60 watts (bit more wattage headroom with these amps is good though as they are severely underrated wattage wise. Once a year or so we head to a warehouse to record so it will get cranked up on the rare occasion), which really leaves me with the two options in the title.

I'm wondering if anyone has experience comparing these speakers? I like a bright (a little fizz is okay), punchy, in your face sound, but it MUST have good string definition.

Thanks,

M~

wheresthefbomb

Reaction score
Not either of those specifically, but I play post rock and my main amp is a Lab Series 410 combo with Jensen Jets and Cannabis Rexes in an X pattern. The Jets are definitely bright, punchy, in your face, and balance really well with the equally bombastic but notoriously darker Rexes.

Boy_Narf

Reaction score
Appreciate the info regardless! Seems hard to find much hands with any of these speakers.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Boy_Narf

Reaction score
Well just got word from Jensen that they won't be offering the Blackbird 10" in NA anymore (plus I can't find the 16ohm anywhere) so that narrows things down :) Tornado it is hah.

Boy_Narf

Reaction score
Well figured I would report in. Just installed the Tornado 100 in my Rocker 15 Combo and it's a solid upgrade for sure. The low end is much bigger/punchier and all the fizz is gone. It's smooth without being dark which I haven't experienced with other speakers.

What really shocked me is the greatly improved dynamics when cleaning up with the volume knob. Seriously incredible crunch/edge tones with I didn't get with the old speaker or honestly any 12 I've played through. It's like it gets crispier as you roll down the volume, not sure how to describe it.

The only complaint I have is that the A and D string are a bit blurry under higher gain 6 string chords with my P94 equipped guitar. Usually with this guitar the top end is buried and the low end is clear but this speaker is the opposite.

The speaker is very clean, revealing, lightning fast, and very unforgiving. It reminds me of a neo creamback or cannibis rex, but without the rolled off top end.

I'm eager to keep breaking this in and have a custom 1x10 cab build planned so I can pair it with my other heads.

wheresthefbomb

Reaction score
Consider playing with the pole piece height on your pickups to try and get string clarity to your liking.

complex-barb.0t

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Well figured I would report in. Just installed the Tornado 100 in my Rocker 15 Combo and it's a solid upgrade for sure. The low end is much bigger/punchier and all the fizz is gone. It's smooth without being dark which I haven't experienced with other speakers.

What really shocked me is the greatly improved dynamics when cleaning up with the volume knob. Seriously incredible crunch/edge tones with I didn't get with the old speaker or honestly any 12 I've played through. It's like it gets crispier as you roll down the volume, not sure how to describe it.

The only complaint I have is that the A and D string are a bit blurry under higher gain 6 string chords with my P94 equipped guitar. Usually with this guitar the top end is buried and the low end is clear but this speaker is the opposite.

The speaker is very clean, revealing, lightning fast, and very unforgiving. It reminds me of a neo creamback or cannibis rex, but without the rolled off top end.

I'm eager to keep breaking this in and have a custom 1x10 cab build planned so I can pair it with my other heads.
Seems really interesting. Quite expensive for a 10” but 100w rating is pretty crazy. I wonder if I would like this over the 10” creambacks I have in my Marshall mini stack.

Boy_Narf

Reaction score
Seems really interesting. Quite expensive for a 10” but 100w rating is pretty crazy. I wonder if I would like this over the 10” creambacks I have in my Marshall mini stack.
Yes they are bit pricy that's for sure but I wanted to try something different. The last few cabs I've picked up with 12's have all left me disappointed in some way. I would have grabbed something lower wattage but they don't have any single 10's that can handle the Rocker 30 (60-100 watts output allegedly at higher volume).

The speaker reminds me a lot of my old neo Creamback 12 but with with more sparkle and low end punch. I always found the neo CB's to be dull for anything except high gain as they really helped to control any fizz and "spikey-ness". That didn't always translate well to crunch or cleans without an EQ adjustment. Not sure how they did it with this speaker but there is barely any fizz yet still a sparkle on top and it sounds great clean. If anything higher gain is where it sounds the worst. It's very controlled and polite almost like kicking on a boost pedal and compressor to tighten and balance the amp.

I had another session last night at lower volumes and I liked it even more. The murkiness went away, probably just my ears adjusting but this is the first time I'm been pleased with a speaker in a long time. I'm still blown away by the dynamics this speaker has added to the relatively cheap Rocker 15. Pumped to get the R30 running through this.

Boy_Narf

Reaction score
Alright I'm convinced haha.

I went through all of my guitars and the speaker really brought to light the differences in pickups that I've only detected through my Fractal/Headphones. Much more detailed than the stock speaker. I then hooked up my neglected 2000's Les Paul Studio and holy sh1t it sounds massive. The neck pickup which I usually hate had an amazing warmth and fullness. I can't believe the sound coming out of this little combo with the Tornado. It's huge and defined but not boomy or woofy.

I like the speaker soo much I reached out to Thomann and put in a special order for the 10" Blackbird 100 as now I need to try it haha. It seems that Alnico speakers get a bad rap for heavier styles but the Jensen rep said the BB is a bit different and works amazingly well for high gain.

If I dig the BB I'll be getting a compact stereo 210 cab built with the two sides split up. Should be a good mix of tones going forward. Tornado side for more modern stuff, BB for more fuzzy/vintage stuff. Very pleased, very pleased.

Boy_Narf

Reaction score
Reporting back! I haven't abandoned the 2 of you who are interested in this haha.

The BB is still sitting in the box. I've commissioned a local Canadian builder to put together two compact 110 cabs so I'm just waiting on those.

Boy_Narf

Reaction score
The cabs just came in, didn't have time to get a pic.

The tornado is fantastic. I think this might be my new favorite speaker.

The 10" BB 100 is interesting. It's dark yet clear at the same time but sounds boxy compared to the tornado. On it's own the BB is not amazing but together... Wow. Massive full range sound.

Quite impressed so far.

Will need to shoot them out between my two remaining heads to see which matches which better.

Whoman Bean

Pointy only.
Reaction score
I've got Jensen Electric Lightning in both 10" and 12" sizes and they're just amazing, not gonna buy anything else in the future.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Who was the cab builder?

Boy_Narf

Reaction score
Green based designs in Canada. I'll post some pics when I get home tonight.

Boy_Narf

Reaction score
Had to get the boss to send me some pics :)

Honestly one of the best tolex jobs I've seen. Not a single imperfection! Miles ahead of some other boutique cabs I've seen/owned. I asked for a convertable back and he did tnuts/inserts to save the wood, as I like to swap back and forth on a regular basis.

Not sure if we can talk cost on here but his prices are substantially lower than other builders. Took about 4 months to get them though so if you are in a rush probably best to look elsewhere.

Very pleased with the build quality. Next time I need a cab it will be from Greenbased for sure.

gbd1.jpggbd2.jpggbd3.jpg

Boy_Narf

Reaction score
Reporting in after some more testing last night. I LOVE LOVE LOVE the 10" Tornado 100. It's clear, defined, immediate, just excellent. Slightly mid scooped so a good match with my Orange heads. A 410 of these would be unbelievable.

The Blackbird, while sounding nice I think it too mid FWD for my Orange heads. It's very defined but quite dull and has serious top end crackle (alnico). Read a bunch of folks using Blackbirds for heavier styles and I'm not sure about that. Maybe in a mix of 4 speakers it would be okay but not on it's own or with only two. I'll be looking into swapping the BB for sure.

I'm now interested in trying the 12" version of the Electric Lightning and Tornado classic 100 in my PortCity OS112 haha, never ends.

DoctorStoner

θάλλ
Reaction score
Reporting in after some more testing last night. I LOVE LOVE LOVE the 10" Tornado 100. It's clear, defined, immediate, just excellent. Slightly mid scooped so a good match with my Orange heads. A 410 of these would be unbelievable.

The Blackbird, while sounding nice I think it too mid FWD for my Orange heads. It's very defined but quite dull and has serious top end crackle (alnico). Read a bunch of folks using Blackbirds for heavier styles and I'm not sure about that. Maybe in a mix of 4 speakers it would be okay but not on it's own or with only two. I'll be looking into swapping the BB for sure.

I'm now interested in trying the 12" version of the Electric Lightning and Tornado classic 100 in my PortCity OS112 haha, never ends.
The Electric Lightning 12" is one of my favorite speakers, but I play metal. They love high gain.

Boy_Narf

Reaction score
The Electric Lightning 12" is one of my favorite speakers, but I play metal. They love high gain.
I do post rock/mathcore kinda stuff. My fav 12" so far is the Governor and I've been rocking it for a few years now with a portcity os112. The Hesu Demon almost dethroned it but barely any low end out of that speaker even in a ported cab (love how open the top end is though and it probably records great). It is defiantly "tight" just like it's marketed.

Lately just been looking for something a bit different.

Last edited:

DoctorStoner

θάλλ
Reaction score
I do post rock/mathcore kinda stuff. My fav 12" so far is the Governor and I've been rocking it for a few years now with a portcity os112. The Hesu Demon almost dethroned it but barely any low end out of that speaker even in a ported cab (love how open the top end is though and it probably records great). It is defiantly "tight" just like it's marketed.

Lately just been looking for something a bit different.
I think the EL can hold it's own best in a 1x12. I have two 2x12 also and I don't remember what speakers are where. I think it's Swamp Thang and EL in one and Governor and CV-75 in the other. They're all cool with a distinctive sound. I'm pretty sure I recorded a comparison video but I don't think I ever posted it... Whoops.