John Petrucci string gauges

• Thread starter Andi Rauscher
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Andi Rauscher

Reaction score
hey wildealien, thanks for the link! I already new the site, and (of course!!) I am looking for the gauges of his 7strings! and those are not mentioned there, just the beefys... but who wants a 6string ;-) so, if anyone knows...
and thanks for the welcome!

Vince

Contributor
Reaction score
I picked up almost everything Petrucci did back in the mid 90s because his ways really worked well for me. Amplifiers, guitars, picks (Jazz IIIs), you name it, I really dug his stuff and it worked great for me.

From that, I know that when he tunes to standard tuning, he uses a hybrid 9 guage (9-46) where the lightest 3 strings are basically from a 9 gauge pack and the lower 3 strings are from a standard 10 gauge pack. The Ernie Ball Hybrid Slinky pack has this 9-46 configuration. What he's using in that video is for tuning down to C on a six-string guitar, and as such he's using much much higher gauges (12-56). This would feel, as he said in the flash video, just like using 10 gauge strings in standard tuning.

When I tune to C or C# on a six string, what I do is take the bottom 6 strings from a Daddario 7-string set and use the lower 6 strings (11-54). For me that works nicely, as it feels and gives resistance like 9 gauge strings in standard tuning.

Vegetta

Pixel Farmer
Reaction score
desertdweller said:
From that, I know that when he tunes to standard tuning, he uses a hybrid 9 guage (9-46) where the lightest 3 strings are basically from a 9 gauge pack and the lower 3 strings are from a standard 10 gauge pack.

You can get Blue Steels in this gauge they are called "Custom Lites" I've been using them forever on my old Rg550

Vince

Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah, that really is the most awesome string gauge, heavy as hell and still very very bendable highs.