Jon Gomm ft. Daniel Tompkins - Ain't Nobody (Chaka Khan)

• Thread starter Ralyks
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Ralyks

The One Who Knocks
Contributor
Reaction score
Jon Gomm Feat. Daniel Tompkins - Ain't Nobody (Chaka Khan) - YouTube

I think I've listened to this 6 times in a row now. Gomm's playing is awesome, and Daniel... dear lord, he just blows it out of the park with his performance. Even gets slightly gospel-like going into the chorus. Such a great recording.

EDIT: No sure why I've had embedding problems with YouTube lately :scratch:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

NSXTypeZero

Reaction score
Oh my god. So damn good.

Both of those dudes can do no wrong! If any of you haven’t heard Jon Gomm, go look the dude up - Passionflower is a starting point

matt397

Tr00f
Reaction score

Thar she be.

This is great, I love dan's voice, never heard of the guitarist but he's quite good as well. I can hear a Tears for Fears vibe from Dan's voice.

TIBrent

Drop Z regular
Reaction score
Not bad at all! Only problem, now I really want to hear Dan work with Andy McKee :) Jon's stuff is pretty free form & sometimes feels like it lacks a steady pulse, but it works really well for him, but with vocals over it, it sometimes feel like 'the vocals' were holding down the rhythmic patterns & pulse more than the guitars which were sort of going on & off the beat. Not an insult at all mind you, I love Jon's work, just feel like hearing Dan do something over Andy McKee (who is pretty much always on beat) would blow minds.

Volteau

the Bard
Reaction score
Wow. I never thought I'd see the day. They are both so amazingly awesome. If they make an album I don't know if I could take it :S.

thedonal

Reaction score
I can't find the words.

I adore the original version and this one almost had me in tears. What a stunning, stunning performance. Inspiring.

zuzek

Reaction score
Love Jon's playing, but this has to be the first thing Dan does where I'm not feeling it.

Fat-Elf

Banned
Reaction score
My first thought was just "well, I love Dan's vocals and Jon Gomm is pretty cool guitarist" but holy shit that song blew my mind. :eek:

Jonathan20022

Engineer
Reaction score

Just in case no one's experienced Gomm's music. I'm sure it must be humbling for both parties to be able to work with each other. Such a massive talent from both sides.

Deathspell Omega

Reaction score
Meeeh, sorry. While he is a GREAT vocalist indeed the ironic thing is, that the original vocal performance was way more 'aggressive'(if this term even fits a soulful singer) and had a thicker sound in the upper register. This sounds more "juvenile" than a Chaka Khan, way more emo than soul (two different things). Clean, but thin. Tompkins` strenghths don`t come out here that much.

Ralyks

The One Who Knocks
Contributor
Reaction score
Gotta appreciate how much fun it looks like they're having. Dan looks like he's having the time of his life in that video.

Nykur_Myrkvi

Reaction score
I'm sure it must be humbling for both parties to be able to work with each other. Such a massive talent from both sides.
Actually that cover was already on Youtube so working together isn't really what they did here.

Awesome nonetheless. Love both of them.

Mayhew

Reaction score
I don't understand quite what you mean :scratch:

And same! Been listening to this nonstop lately.

Jon Gomm covered the song on youtube a while ago and Dan's adding vocals and performance footage to Gomm's video to make a cover of his own.

Jonathan20022

Engineer
Reaction score
Jon Gomm covered the song on youtube a while ago and Dan's adding vocals and performance footage to Gomm's video to make a cover of his own.

Ahh! Makes sense, I had no clue haha. Hopefully they strike an interest in each other's music and work together after this.

Latest posts