JP70 (mods) vs KM7

Workman2113

Reaction score
Hey everyone, new here so sorry if the threads have been made but I'm lookin for a new 7 string. Point: I am torn between the Sterling JP70 and the schecter KM7.

JP70: how are the bridges on these guys I played one a while back but didn't get to use the whammy, how do it hole tuning? and/or has anyone swapped out the bridge for something better? Obviously I'm going to swap out the pups. But I love the closed in feeling when playing *due to wrist angling, I'm a small guy)
KM7: I've never owned a schecter but have played them many times. This guitar is awesome in many ways. Really no down side to it other than I'm normally not a fan of extended scale lengths (due to wrist angling, again small guy). I didn't seem to be bothered since it's only an inch but didn't get a lot of play time on it to really tell. Plus I love the ebony fingerboard.

Any inputs you guys have would be awesome. Specially on mods for the JP70. Rock on.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Kyrrdis

Reaction score
I came here a month back asking about the JP-70 too. I bit the bullet and went for it and I don't regret it for a single minute. The guitar plays amazing, neck has a very nice thin profile and the body contours make it extremely comfortable. The bridge (in all honesty) is as good as non-locking trems get really. I actually don't use anymore as I installed a tremol-no so I can uptune or downtune freely. I experienced no issues with the trem using it moderately (no overly abusive dive bombs or pull-ups). I also installed a crunchlab/liquifire set and it really brought the guitar to life, that is not to say the stock pups are bad, because they're actually very good for stock.

I can't really say much about the KM-7, but everyone that owns one seems to love it. However, I own a Schecter Hellraiser C-1 and it's a really well built guitar, so I wouldn't doubt that the KM-7 is amazing.

gigawhat

All 6s and 7s
Reaction score
Having played a JP70 and owning a KM-7 my personal advice would be this, if you can afford it, get the KM-7. If not, get the Sterling.

Workman2113

Reaction score
Thanks guys, I keeping leaning towards the KM7 but still can't decide as I really like the profile of the neck on the jp70. Was gonna either put a Floyd rose or do the tremel-no method on the jp. Would a Floyd be semi way to install? (I wouldn't really route it so that it floats cuz I'd rather have it flat mounted) anybody have experience in putting a Floyd on a guitar that was a traditional styled trem?

Workman2113

Reaction score
I know the jp70 has a floating trem but if the Floyd was put on idk if it'd float die to the back end size of the Floyd compared to the back end size of the Sterling trem. So I guess that's kind of part of my questioning thoughts.

JustinG60

Reaction score
i don't know how it holds up to the actual EBMM trem but the EBMM trem is awesome. i liked it way more than a Floyd

lewstherin006

Reaction score
THe KM-7 is the better guitar but not by much. It is also harder to get and a little more money. The JP70 is a great guitar and you can get them very cheap used.

Workman2113

Reaction score
Do you mind the a thicker neck? From what I've seen schecters are pretty beefy

They used to have logs for necks which is why I never owned one. I love thinner necks, but the KM7 and the newer models by schecter thinned out a lot. It is still a bit beefy but it's still easy to get around on. I'm more of a rhythm guy anyways so the speed issue isn't really the problem. I've played both the jp70 and the KM7, love em both. It comes down more to the hardware. The jp I'd want to change pups and maybe bridge(I'd have to play it a bit more), and the KM7 has stock pups that I love (would probably put the same pups in jp70) but the bridge on the KM7 is a really nice hipshot. I'd really like to play em both again so I can maybe come to a better conclusion but haven't seen both since a few months ago. Also I dig that the KM7 comes with ebony fingerboard. My ibby S7420 already has rosewood so I'd like something new.

philkilla

Baritone Maniac
Contributor
Reaction score
I've played nothing but floyd rose equipped guitars for 12-15 years. The KM7 makes me never want to buy a guitar again without a hipshot, and the 26.5" scale is NBD either.

Rastamoneq

Reaction score
Yeah, for guys with bigger hands (like me) 26,5" scale is a bless. Soloing tight on the higher frets is much easier and streching comes with no problem as well. On the other hand, my friends can't play it that easily as I do, but as I said, I have huge hands (like 1cm longer fingers than them). What does the guitar feel like? I'm waiting for my KM-7 to come, as I ordered it already the previous week. Can't wait and I'll surely write an NGD with some thoughts and feels around the day I recieve it. Also, expect some hot-ass pictures :D!

Adamewf

Reaction score
I feel like you've already made your decision.
I prefer a hardtail bridge over a trem (funny, because both my guitars have trems.)
If you went with the JP and didn't like then trem, its fairly easy to block those suckers. :agreed:

They used to have logs for necks which is why I never owned one. I love thinner necks, but the KM7 and the newer models by schecter thinned out a lot. It is still a bit beefy but it's still easy to get around on. I'm more of a rhythm guy anyways so the speed issue isn't really the problem. I've played both the jp70 and the KM7, love em both. It comes down more to the hardware. The jp I'd want to change pups and maybe bridge(I'd have to play it a bit more), and the KM7 has stock pups that I love (would probably put the same pups in jp70) but the bridge on the KM7 is a really nice hipshot. I'd really like to play em both again so I can maybe come to a better conclusion but haven't seen both since a few months ago. Also I dig that the KM7 comes with ebony fingerboard. My ibby S7420 already has rosewood so I'd like something new.

Adamewf

Reaction score
I feel like going straight for the KM7 would just save you money in the long run, taking into consideration the cost of new pickups, installation etc...

Workman2113

Reaction score
I feel like you've already made your decision.
I prefer a hardtail bridge over a trem (funny, because both my guitars have trems.)
If you went with the JP and didn't like then trem, its fairly easy to block those suckers. :agreed:

Well I haven't played either enough to make a sound decision. I'm just kinda going off of what I know I like. By my usual standards the jp90 would be ideal, but when I played the km7 I loved it(but I only got to play for like 5 mins). But I'm also planing on drop tuning this next guitar to either drop A or Drop G. So the km7 would be a better fit for that but I could also just throw thicker strings on it. But I do feel like I'd end up getting the km7 so far. That white trans top is killer as well! Ha:hbang:

Workman2113

Reaction score
I feel like going straight for the KM7 would just save you money in the long run, taking into consideration the cost of new pickups, installation etc...

Yeah I do want a fixed bridge so that I can change timings freely. But I could do such with the jp70 using a tremel no as well. But I think I'm swaying to the km7 cuz it's great right out of the box, I won't need to do any extra stuff to it to fit my preferences. The jp70 seems more versatile and can play different genres. Does anyone else know from experience how the km7 handles just rock, bluesy type crap, and/or jazz? I like versatility.

splinter8451

Reaction score
The Sterling's are pretty sick guitars, BUT I would go for the KM7 because it already comes with good pickups, a great bridge, and dat satin finish :cool:

Workman2113

Reaction score
Splinter, dat satin Ams da sex! Haha I love the white! Haven't seen the white in person but the black was delicious as well. Lol

Workman2113

Reaction score
What kind of pickups would you throw in the Jp?

Well I have a few options I was lookin at. 1. The Duncan Nazgul & Sentient, 2. dimarzio Ionizer 7's (Tosin set). 3. Or the EMG 57-7h & 66-7h.

Not really into the BKP thing cuz they are crazy priced and Seymour has just as good pups to me.