Just another suggestions thread...

Mosais

Todd
Reaction score
Call me a n00b, but I need some help.

I'm planning a custom 7 string Explorer-style guitar right now (although it may be a while before I have the cash to get it built :( ), and need some help deciding what to put in it pickup-wise.

Basically, here's my idea:

-Mahogany body, (bolt on) maple neck, ebony fretboard
-OFR with Graph Tech Ghost System (+Acousti-Phonic & Hexpander)

Pic I whipped up in Photoshop:
4747834853_d79a4f0282_b.jpg

I only put the EMG's on it for styling reasons, so don't think I'm only considering actives. I'm open to all suggestions. Also, don't worry about all of the knobs! They've all got a purpose because of the Ghost System. (And don't make fun of me for not making the strings connect to the bridge!!:wallbash:)

I'm madly in love with standard tuning, thus the reason I want a seven string. I'm looking for a versatile setup: I need pups that will cut through the mix (and ring out clearly with quite a bit of gain), work well for chugging (I don't do lots of chugging, but it's still important to me) and shredding superfast licks, have good harmonic capabilities, be able to get a more classic rock tone when it's needed, and clean up well.

Basically I need the most perfect, versatile pickup in the world. I know there probably isn't a set of pickups that can cover all that ground, but I just want to get some input from people who have WAY more knowledge than me.

I appreciate any advice; I've never purchased any aftermarket pickups for any of my guitars - despite the need to - and have no experience in this area.

Thanks a lot guys! :bowdown:

Disclaimer: I don't claim to be able to fluently play any of the styles mentioned in my criteria for a pickup, but am definitely working on it :scratch:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
Don't put EMG's on that, if you want something like EMG's use passive sized Seymour Duncan Blackouts. That means that if you want to change the pickups down the road you wont have to do something about all the extra space. ;)

drgordonfreeman

On vacation
Reaction score
Just curious, but if you're having this custom built, then why not go with a neck-thru design?

drgordonfreeman

On vacation
Reaction score
Bolt-ons aren't worse, to be honest I prefer well made bolt ons to neck thru's so if the neck gets damaged it can be remedied with ease.

No, no, I didn't mean to suggest bolt-ons were worse. That's my fault if I did, and I apologize! I have several bolt-ons for the exact reason you mentioned above.

I was just thinking that with a custom guitar, considering the price, that you're more likely to treat it a little more carefully than a guitar "off the rack". In that case, and especially since you're already spending the money, I would go with a neck-thru. I personally think a solid piece of wood always sounds better, but that is my highly subjective opinion!

Of course, he may hate neck-thru's or he may have plans to brutally use this as a touring guitar. Then again, maybe he plans to just sit in his room and play.

In either case, I was just curious. Maybe he likes the idea of a neck-thru, but he just hadn't thought of it?

Also, thanks or pointing out my possibly misleading post. I didn't mean to suggest neck-thru's were superior, even though, I certainly think it! :lol:

Mosais

Todd
Reaction score
Stealthtastic said:
Bolt-ons aren't worse, to be honest I prefer well made bolt ons to neck thru's so if the neck gets damaged it can be remedied with ease.

I much agree with this, and this was my main point of reasoning for this. I've also heard that bolt-ons have a brighter sound, and with a solid mahogany body, I think that it would be a good tonal balance-point.

Also, I've heard that bolt-on is a great way of joining two pieces of wood together for their tone, as opposed to neck-through being a much more neck-wood dominant tone.

No, no, I didn't mean to suggest bolt-ons were worse. That's my fault if I did, and I apologize! I have several bolt-ons for the exact reason you mentioned above.

I was just thinking that with a custom guitar, considering the price, that you're more likely to treat it a little more carefully than a guitar "off the rack". In that case, and especially since you're already spending the money, I would go with a neck-thru. I personally think a solid piece of wood always sounds better, but that is my highly subjective opinion!

Of course, he may hate neck-thru's or he may have plans to brutally use this as a touring guitar. Then again, maybe he plans to just sit in his room and play.

In either case, I was just curious. Maybe he likes the idea of a neck-thru, but he just hadn't thought of it?

Also, thanks or pointing out my possibly misleading post. I didn't mean to suggest neck-thru's were superior, even though, I certainly think it! :lol:

I am going to be EXTREMELY carful with this guitar, just as I am with my cheap guitars. I treat my stuff well. I'm far from being a good enough player to tour, so that's not really an intention right now.

On the flipside of things, I also haven't played any neck-throughs, so don't really know quite how they sound/feel compared to bolt-ons. It will be a while before I actually have the cash for this guitar, so the neck-joint is subject to change :D Once I get a chance to play some neck-through guitars, my ideas on what I want may be dramatically different.

Stealthtastic said:
Don't put EMG's on that, if you want something like EMG's use passive sized Seymour Duncan Blackouts. That means that if you want to change the pickups down the road you wont have to do something about all the extra space.
Definitely a good idea. Does anyone know of any EMG vs. Blackouts threads that do some very solid comparing?

Thanks for the great input, guys.

drgordonfreeman

On vacation
Reaction score

cyril v

Contributor
Reaction score
Another option for pickups would be to get some passives in the EMG housing. That way you get the versatility of the tones available in passives and the look of the EMG/Blackouts... or you could just get blackouts and call it a day! :lol:

Just a suggestion, but for those four knobs... maybe you have them in the traditional Gibson Les Paul layout like this:
les_paul.jpg

...and maybe throw the main pick-up switch and the other knob up top like this:
Gibson_Les_Paul_Personal_detail.jpg

Good luck, this looks pretty awesome.. I actually designed an explorer-type body with my GF that I'd like to bring to life one of these days, so always nice to see others actually doing it. :yesway:

Mosais

Todd
Reaction score
All you really have to do is hang around for a few hours on this forum, and I promise someone, somewhere will post a thread asking, "Which is better, EMGs or Blackouts?" :lol: Those two pickups, along with Barenuckles, get a lot of exposure around here.

Yeah, I've noticed that! I've been reading a lot of them, and found that I think I will go with Blackouts if I do go active. There will already be batteries in the guitar from the Ghost system, so it wouldn't hurt at all to at least try them. Thanks for the link :)

Another option for pickups would be to get some passives in the EMG housing. That way you get the versatility of the tones available in passives and the look of the EMG/Blackouts... or you could just get blackouts and call it a day! :lol:

Just a suggestion, but for those four knobs... maybe you have them in the traditional Gibson Les Paul layout like this:
les_paul.jpg

...and maybe throw the main pick-up switch and the other knob up top like this:
Gibson_Les_Paul_Personal_detail.jpg

Good luck, this looks pretty awesome.. I actually designed an explorer-type body with my GF that I'd like to bring to life one of these days, so always nice to see others actually doing it. :yesway:

Thanks for the suggestion! I haven't tried any other knob configurations for it yet, but I definitely will. I was just needed to get away from working on that after I had it at that point; more tweaking will definitely come later :)

As for "actually doing it," I can't say I'm that far. I still need LOADS of money to make this guitar a reality, and as of right now I don't even have a job. But it I can guarantee you that I will have this guitar one day. Hopefully sooner, rather than later ;)

Latest posts