Just got BIAS by Positive Grid, recording question

Thunem

Reaction score
Hey All,

I have a quick question, I have been trying to self record for many years now. Most of my projects don't make it too far because I am never satisfied with my sound I am getting. I recently got BIAS after watching many reviews and reading up on it. I thought it would fix some problems and help me with my creative process. I am really into music with a lot of atmosphere and multiple things going on at once, so when my guitars sound like crap it really ruins my vibe. :wallbash: Anyway my setup is fairly simple, I run my guitar straight into a POD HD Desktop. I use cubase, and just starting to use BIAS. Is the reason behind my guitar sound coming out flat because I am not using any source of actual amp, or could it be because of something else? Thanks for the help! :hbang:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

OrsusMetal

In brightest day...
Reaction score
Using a POD as an interface is probably one reason. I'd suggest going out and buying a decent DI box and tracking through that (I'm assuming you are using Bias Desktop).

Ways to get cleaner tracking in an amp sim:
1. Good guitar with good pickups and a good setup.
2. Fresh strings.
3. Clean signal path with optimal input gain
4. Playing with conviction

It took me awhile to get good sounds out of VSTs. The biggest realizations I had was that my signal path was adding noise and making things shitty sounding. I got a Countryman Type 85 DI box and a good instrument cable and XLR cable. It made a big difference in the clarity of my DIs, meaning the amp sims I was using were MUCH better.

Also, cab sims make a big difference. Download TwoNotes WOS III plugin and bypass the cabs in Bias. The Bias cabs are decent, but the TwoNotes cabs are better. Just stick in there. Recording can be a frustrating thing.

CemSaydam

Reaction score
Just skip the pod. I don't know if you have an interface, lets assume you have. Go straight into "instrument in" of your interface. Adjust the gain on your interface as it's never clipping to your hardest strum. Pay attention to this step, open up your interface's monitoring software. Look at your levels while you're strumming as hard as you can (palm muting with diminished notes on the lowest strings produces the highest output, A#,E,A#2). Dial your gain back until you see -3db on your meter. Now you can go to your DAW. Open bias. Select a hi-gain preset. Tweak minimal.

On the other hand, you can not truly bypass the cabinet section on bias. There is this mic section, always ON. They are working on that. So, I suggest you to go with the internal cab/mic section.

If you find your tone under-driven, put a TSE808 plugin before the bias which is a Maxon/Ibanez OD808 plugin and free. Dial the drive all the way back, volume all the way up, tone half-way up. Done.

Ibzzus

Jangle/shoegaze-core
Reaction score
Hows about sharing one of your creations so that we could give you some production tips

BouhZik

Reaction score
Using a POD as an interface is probably one reason. I'd suggest going out and buying a decent DI box and tracking through that (I'm assuming you are using Bias Desktop).

Ways to get cleaner tracking in an amp sim:
1. Good guitar with good pickups and a good setup.
2. Fresh strings.
3. Clean signal path with optimal input gain
4. Playing with conviction

It took me awhile to get good sounds out of VSTs. The biggest realizations I had was that my signal path was adding noise and making things shitty sounding. I got a Countryman Type 85 DI box and a good instrument cable and XLR cable. It made a big difference in the clarity of my DIs, meaning the amp sims I was using were MUCH better.

Also, cab sims make a big difference. Download TwoNotes WOS III plugin and bypass the cabs in Bias. The Bias cabs are decent, but the TwoNotes cabs are better. Just stick in there. Recording can be a frustrating thing.

you mean guitar->DI box-> to an audio interface?