Just got my first 7 string, and looking for some help.

• Thread starter Kristianx510
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Kristianx510

Reaction score
I just got my first 7 string from a good friend of mine, and I love it to death but one thing is confusing me: tunings. I know Standard is eBGDAEB, and drop A is just eBGDAEA. but some bands I listen to that play 7's(mainly Volumes and Emmure) using drop tunings like eBF#DAEA. is that normal? if so what exactly is this called?

RyanP

Reaction score
It's pretty much like Drop A on a 6 string with a high E essentially. I see it as a way to still stay familiar to the feel of the tuning of a 6 string guitar, but then you just have a higher string for that extra range.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

theicon2125

Reaction score
BEADF#be is what I call B standard (because that's what I called BEADF#b on 6ers), which is different from standard BEADGBE. I play a lot of Whitechapel and some of their songs are AEADGbe and others are in AEADF#be and you can't play in just one or it won't sound right.

Dan_Vacant

Hi I'm Dan.
Reaction score
I was confused because you typed them high to low I'm use to seeing low to high; I wondered the same thing so I guess it is tuned in 4ths? sorry if I'm wrong I can't think it out.

Brohoodofsteel75

Reaction score
I just got my first 7 string from a good friend of mine, and I love it to death but one thing is confusing me: tunings. I know Standard is eBGDAEB, and drop A is just eBGDAEA. but some bands I listen to that play 7's(mainly Volumes and Emmure) using drop tunings like eBF#DAEA. is that normal? if so what exactly is this called?

Volumes! Played a show with them last month, Diego's finger was injured and he played the show with it, brutal!:hbang::shred:

Also that's called baritone. I tune drop e on a 7 & 8 string.

7stringDemon

Reaction score
Tune it how you want dude. But yeah, it's a pretty normal tuning. Bit different but normal overall.

Emmure tunes that way because only Jesse is using a 7 string. So he tuned the the lowest 6 (B, F#, D, A, E, A) just like a 6 string would be tuned in drop A then added the High E since, you know, it's a 7.