Kemper Profiling Amp Thread

StupidDav

Reaction score
I was wondering a while ago if it was possible to take an impulse response of an entire rig, looks like this is what this thing does. Looks like an old 70's computer only smaller, can't see it catching on because it looks horrifically complex :ugh: If I was them I'd separate the IR loader/amp from the IR maker, the IR maker can stay at home whilst you load up the IR loader/amp with your IRs and go gig! Wonder if this kinda thing is gonna catch on in the world of digital modelling. I also wonder what the 'feel' is like, the dynamics sound good in the video, but when playing an actual amp you can 'feel' the amp.

Albionic

First of the magi
Reaction score
i think they had one of these on the bridge of the enterprise :)

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
It's not tube, and very complex, thus I don't see it immediately becoming popular with players, especially with other viable digital solutions out there, namely the AxeFx, POD, and various VST/Impulse loaders already on the market.

Now, imagine if the guys at Fractal or Line6 got a hold of a few of these. If they work as well as they say, they might become a very important tool in the further development of digital modeling as a whole.

Larrikin666

Deadite
Reaction score
How freakin awkward does that dude look while that contraption is processing the amp? LOL. Wow

I'd would need to see way way way more videos of this thing before I thought it was worth any kind of investment.

Heavy Ed

singlecoil goodness
Reaction score
This looks awesome but cost and complexity aside its just impractical for the average musician. I bought a modeler to have a variety of amp tones from amps I don't have access to currently. I don't think my local music stores would appreciate me taking hours setting up and modeling amps that I have no intention of buying! :lol:

ivancic1al

Probrem?
Reaction score
^ I know, exactly, you walk into a GC and bring that and tell them, "Oh yeah can I just A/B a few amps?" then you profile them all, leave and you have them stored :lol: genius, very very pricey genius.

adrock

long ball larry!
Reaction score
This looks awesome but cost and complexity aside its just impractical for the average musician. I bought a modeler to have a variety of amp tones from amps I don't have access to currently. I don't think my local music stores would appreciate me taking hours setting up and modeling amps that I have no intention of buying! :lol:

haha that's what my roommate and i were saying, just go copying everybody's amps. they wouldn't be too happy, but i sure would :D

but seriously, i don't think this is intended for gigging musicians. i see it more as a studio tool. my roommate and i are both engineers and constant gear tweakers, so we are drooling and wanting this piece of gear bad.

StupidDav has a great idea though, separating the impulse maker and player. i think if they did that, you would have gigging musicians who would be interested in this.

splinter8451

Reaction score
Don't you guys think people could share their models online? So you wouldn't have to have access to the actual amps?

It'd be silly if you weren't able to share profiles.

I wanna see some high gain applications. POD's and the like can do convincing low-gain tones IMO, not the feel, but the sound.

GATA4

Banned
Reaction score
That's some cool shit.....looks like a freaking spaceship control board though haha.

col

blah.
Reaction score
The modeling lost a bit of high end, but very impressive nonetheless.

I don't see how this is complicated to use though? As far I can see his signal chain is guitar->modeler->amp->cab->mic->mic preamp->modeler.

When it's "profiling" it runs some noise through the amp and calculates between the original sound file and the one that came back from the amp how the modeling is supposed to sound? At least that's how impulses are created.

Acme

Reaction score
A new video from the Winter NAMM:

I'm not sure what to think about it, but really curious about the price of it.

Scar Symmetry

Ex Whiny Bitch
Reaction score
Awesome idea, but with the patches available for the Axe Fx, I don't see it being as accurate to the original amp as a community is able to achieve from hours of tweaking.

Developed, this idea could be groundbreaking.

vlover

Reaction score
Bump... i want one of these more than An Axefx :p Blasphemer !

Guitarmiester

Awesome-O
Reaction score
I'd like to buy one just for the reactions. Imagine walking into GC or any local shop with what looks like some sort of a microwave, a few cables, setting it up on various amps, and standing there looking at others while these weird, spacey sounds emanate from every amp in the store. You then pack up your microwave and cables and leave.

I AM AHAB!!!!
Reaction score
I'd like to buy one just for the reactions. Imagine walking into GC or any local shop with what looks like some sort of a microwave, a few cables, setting it up on various amps, and standing there looking at others while these weird, spacey sounds emanate from every amp in the store. You then pack up your microwave and cables and leave.

im sure as soon as though weird sounds started a employee would chase you out or youd get put in a net and showed off as a alien

Soubi7string

3d printer go brrrrrrrrr
Reaction score
looks like I'd never buy it or use it cause well it is intimidating as fuck with all those lights and buttons

OzoneJunkie

Reaction score
A recent interview said possible release in October.

I definitely wouldn't profile any amps personally, but I think the key here is that it stores up to 1000 profiles and that the company is going to include a set with the unit itself. Plus we'll likely see more profiles shared online.

Latest posts