Killswitch cover (Axe-FX tone match)

• Thread starter jackfiltraition
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jackfiltraition

Reaction score
Hey Guys!

I was testing out the Axe-FX 2's 6.01 firmware a week or two back and yes... it's amazing! :hbang:I was on a guitar in drop C, kept coming back to this riff and was inspired to experiment with the tone match block and record a cover. The whole tone match process was fairly painless to be honest and I am quiet pleased with the results.

The mix of the song is no where near complete! I am trying to get as close the original as possible which creates a bit of conflict at least to my ears, as I was never huge on the KSE drum sound. It's hard to settle on the mix when you don't particularly love everything about the original :lol:.

I used a mix of the Soldano SLO-100 and Dual Recto Blocks into a mesa v30 cab then into a tone match block and managed to find isolated guitar tracks of the song for a reference here:
http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGNW0hNuzzk

Drums are superior (2.3 update) with Metal Foundry. Started with the KSE preset but tweeked the living hell out of it! As I said earlier, I was conflicted between going for the KSE drums or something more to my taste, I went with KSE. I mixed them entirely inside the Superior mixer but plan on doing a more in-depth mix using multi-outs and various plug in's hosted in my DAW at a later date. Bass is a mix of DI and Pod Farm.

I phoned in the clean intro and just threw it together quickly with Pod Farm as the keyboardist in my band has my Axe-FX :noplease:.
I'm not so happy with the mix at all at the moment, I haven't referenced it to the original as of yet and have a quite a few things left to do, so any and all feedback/ constructive criticism is welcome!

Will hopefully get around to posting an updated mix and an A/B comparison of the guitar tones for the people at the fractal forums soon. I get lazy haha!

Hope you enjoy!

http://www.soundcloud.com/jack-hartley-1/my-cu

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

metalaxxe11

String Theory
Reaction score
Great tone going on there, very similar to the original. Damn you for owning an axe fx 2 :p

Feel free to check out my dethklok cover in this subforum although production aint quite as good as yours!

metalaxxe11

String Theory
Reaction score
PS, i love those drums personally. You using S2.0? if so any chance of the preset for it? :p

jackfiltraition

Reaction score
Thanks heaps for your kind words man! I checked out your thunderhorse cover earlier, very nice and clean! Will upload the drum preset for ya, give me a second to load the samples and save the preset :) More then happy to share the love. Just remember to rep hehe :D

jackfiltraition

Reaction score
Here ya go mate. Have fun, make sure you have the latest update (2.30) and the metal foundry expansion installed or it will not work. I'm not sure if Superior saves Master Level setting but about -4.4 db should give a nice level with a bit of head room if you are just using standard midi routing in your DAW (All sounds to one stereo output)
JackfiltraitionKSE.s20

rgaRyan

Ermahgerd!
Reaction score
The tight playing and the tone sound just like the original! Nice work!

Enselmis

Reaction score
Loving everything except the snare drum. It needs to be bigger.

jackfiltraition

Reaction score
Loving everything except the snare drum. It needs to be bigger.

Thanks dude!

Yeah the snare sounds on KSE mixes are always a bit wire-ish and "bottom heavy" for my personal taste, I decided on sticking true to the killswitch sound but it on honestly bugs my me, that snare sound. I might end up just mixing he snare more to my personal taste in the final mix :cool:

peagull

Urwało mi dupę
Reaction score
I've seen snippits of the Tone matching on youtube, but this really shows how good it is. And the snare really does need to be much fatter and have more crack. Sod the original! :lol:

jackfiltraition

Reaction score
Thanks man! :) Yeah i think the original snare can stay on the killswitch record haha. Will have to pick another snare sample and tweek it in, aaah I love superior haha. Thanks for the kind words on the tone match, my version has some ways to go in the mid range and high end but for the most part it's pretty accurate and such a user friendly, and painless process.