Korean Ormsby’s are better than the customs??

• Thread starter goatfucker9000
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

goatfucker9000

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Well this thread sure has devolved into madness :lol:

EDIT: I did own a GTR 6 run 6 about 4/5 years ago. I actually really loved it outside of the fanned frets, it's just not for me. But i will say it was probably one of the highest quality MiK guitars I've played.

I've played a few custom shop Ormsbys, including being at NAMM last year, and I truly did not feel much of a difference between the two, at least, not for the price. Add in the creepy ormsby fans and ormsby himself being a bit a of dick, and I think it's not really worth a custom unless you're truly dying for a specific spec'd GTR....and hate your money.
Not expecting some crazy quality jump, even if its 5-10% better that's good enough. Just want custom features and something custom made for me. I was just interested in the claims that the custom ormsbys were worse than the Korean ones. They're really not even that expensive. The factory customs float around on reverb for ~$3k USD

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jaxadam

Reaction score
Not expecting some crazy quality jump, even if its 5-10% better that's good enough. Just want custom features and something custom made for me. I was just interested in the claims that the custom ormsbys were worse than the Korean ones. They're really not even that expensive. The factory customs float around on reverb for ~$3k USD

Are Korean goats better than custom goats?

goatfucker9000

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
In my experience that translates to ~4.5-5k new which I would consider expensive for the kind of risk ordering from Perry Ormsby presents
I'm talking brand new. Used is generally ~$2k. And is getting your guitar delayed a universal experience with Ormsby? I have seen that and it does concern me. I do want it pretty quick not trying to wait 2 fucking years. he talked about it on a podcast so he at least acknowledges the issue. I hope moving into their new factory will rectify the issue, as he said working in the old small one made working incredibly inefficient and that was the whole point of a buying a new factory

Albake21

Ibanez Nerd
Reaction score
At the end of the day, it's a custom, and with any guitar that has more hands than machines on it can always cause variation. I'm sure some have slipped through the shop that truly were worse than a GTR. Personally, I think with ormsby's fan club being so rabid, mixed with Ormsby himself not having too good of a wrap, it's a recipe for disaster and for hate to be thrown.

Whether justified or not, it still raises flags from a buyer's prospective, no matter what. I feel like this is more of less the point that many are making, but this could also be applied to really any custom shop.... minus Perry's actual reputation.

SalsaWood

Scares the 'choes.
Reaction score
Are deer a species of goat or horse? I always forget which one.

jaxadam

Reaction score
Are deer a species of goat or horse? I always forget which one.

dc291473bc78e87d4f8b5b04d546572666e4646859f900e7bd78672c0239a38c_1.jpg

nightsprinter

resident pat metheny fanatic
Reaction score
ITT all the talk about the owner of Ormsby made me think about one of the values I have regarding expensive/custom guitars and the owners/heads of those companies. I try to learn/read/watch as much media and marketing material that I can by said owners to make a determination upon whether I want to give them my money. If someone just strikes me as sus or off-putting, I lose my gear woody for their products. By all accounts, PRS makes some good stuff. But I just cannot stand Paul himself. Listening to him talk about guitars makes me want to rip my fingernails off with needle nose pliers. I just don't like the demeanor, so I won't give them my money. I won't order a new Kiesel either. I'd probably void my values on the used market for screamin' deals, but the fact remains, I care about who I'm directly funding.

goatfucker9000

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
ITT all the talk about the owner of Ormsby made me think about one of the values I have regarding expensive/custom guitars and the owners/heads of those companies. I try to learn/read/watch as much media and marketing material that I can by said owners to make a determination upon whether I want to give them my money. If someone just strikes me as sus or off-putting, I lose my gear woody for their products. By all accounts, PRS makes some good stuff. But I just cannot stand Paul himself. Listening to him talk about guitars makes me want to rip my fingernails off with needle nose pliers. I just don't like the demeanor, so I won't give them my money. I won't order a new Kiesel either. I'd probably void my values on the used market for screamin' deals, but the fact remains, I care about who I'm directly funding.
Bruh you're not funding the third reich, it's just some guy 😂😂 Personally couldn't really give a fuck about the personality of the owner, great way to miss out on good gear, but you do you I guess

SalsaWood

Scares the 'choes.
Reaction score
IDGAF if they worship the devil if they make a good instrument. It does help if people are friendly when doing business, though.

nightsprinter

Reaction score
Bruh you're not funding the third reich, it's just some guy 😂😂 Personally couldn't really give a fuck about the personality of the owner, great way to miss out on good gear, but you do you I guess

Meh, people have different values. I suck no matter what piece of tree is in my hand so I don't mind missing out on prettier pieces of tree.

Briz

Lifelong Learner
Reaction score
I REFUSE to support brands with horrible owners and amoral ethical values (then I look down to see my sweatshop Nike's, lithium battery powered phone and electronics, everything containing cobalt within arm's reach, my wife's blood diamond wedding ring...). Okay, but guitars are different. That's a hill I'll die on! :lol:

Last edited:

nightsprinter

Reaction score
Reading way too much into it. If I'm ordering a custom luxury product, I prefer to like the person providing me said custom luxury product and like the customer service experience since i'm going above and beyond by paying a premium. Yes I know I use a Chinese phone and it is impossible to uphold personal moral standards of decency as a living consumer who needs to drink water, eat, and get to work.

Basically, if a person acts like a dick and there are laundry lists of people with bad customer service experiences, I don't typically want to pay for their custom services. simple as that.

Briz

Lifelong Learner
Reaction score
Reading way too much into it. If I'm ordering a custom luxury product, I prefer to like the person providing me said custom luxury product and like the customer service experience since i'm going above and beyond by paying a premium. Yes I know I use a Chinese phone and it is impossible to uphold personal moral standards of decency as a living consumer who needs to drink water, eat, and get to work.

Basically, if a person acts like a dick and there are laundry lists of people with bad customer service experiences, I don't typically want to pay for their custom services. simple as that.
Just an attempt at levity, making fun of myself more than anything. I was close to buying a custom Kiesel until I saw the comments and video links on this site. I get it, just an attempt at humor.

nightsprinter

Reaction score
Just an attempt at levity, making fun of myself more than anything. I was close to buying a custom Kiesel until I saw the comments and video links on this site. I get it, just an attempt at humor.

My bad, briz. I'm new here and thought I was getting raked across the coals outside of the politics thread lol.

Now HERE'S a guy we all want to give our money to

Attachments

• shogo1-bw.jpg
    shogo1-bw.jpg
    168.1 KB · Views: 40

oracles

Reaction score
is getting your guitar delayed a universal experience with Ormsby?

I dont think anything Perry has ever done has been on time. Not one run, custom or GTR has ever been delivered on time.

In my experience, the GTRs are equal to, or better than the customs, flaws included. No one inside the echo chamber can or will tell you that, because they're banned for daring go against the gospel of Ormsby.

One of the worst options you have in the custom world IMO, right next to Etherial.

goatfucker9000

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I dont think anything Perry has ever done has been on time. Not one run, custom or GTR has ever been delivered on time.

In my experience, the GTRs are equal to, or better than the customs, flaws included. No one inside the echo chamber can or will tell you that, because they're banned for daring go against the gospel of Ormsby.

One of the worst options you have in the custom world IMO, right next to Etherial.
please expand on this. In what way are the GTRs better. I know they're really fucking good, they're amazing, that's why I want a custom made goliath. How is it such a terrible option. Are they just objectively bad? And how much hands on experience do you have. thank you

Briz

Lifelong Learner
Reaction score
Weird that I just got an email from Ormsby 4 minutes ago, when I haven't received an email from them since I unsubscribed over a year ago.

1000002548.jpg