Korean Schecters vs Japan ESP

• Thread starter JohnSacrimoni
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

JohnSacrimoni

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Stuck between these two hard for my next guitar ill be getting soon. Will be buying used if that changes anything. Essentially the Schecters have better or equal features (SS frets are a big plus) but I love the look of esp (headstock, QM top, etc). I also love EMGs and not a big fan of fishmans, will likey replace if I get a schecter. How do they compare quality wise, keeping in mind that the schecter will be a bit cheaper. Mainly looking at SLS elite, banshee mach 6, esp e-ii M-i or m-ii and horizon nt-ii

Thanks would love to hear from someone who has tried both

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

mlp187

Burrito Master
Contributor
Reaction score
Edit: I misread your post - I don’t currently have an SLS or E-II M-ii. My current inventory includes a USA M-ii, E-ii Eclipse, Schecter KM7 MK1 (it’s so very good). Sorry about that.

I have both (see edit), and have played plenty of both.

In my experience:
(1) you are more likely to get a lemon from Schecter, but it is uncommon
(2) the esp’s neck profile feels a bit larger than the Schecters
(3) People speak about ESP as the apex of guitars but the reality is they fuck up too. I have proof, lol.

I do prefer ESP’s aesthetics.

All that being said, you can’t go wrong either way, but you certainly can save hundreds of dollars.

Chri

-________-
Reaction score
In my experience, Japanese ESP standards and EIIs feel better to play. There’s maybe a 10-15% difference in quality that to me, makes it worth the price difference. That said, Korean Schecters are no joke assuming you get a good one. If money is the main deciding factor, go Schecter.

As said before too, the neck shapes are quite different. EIIs have more pronounced shoulders and are a bit chunkier than Schecter. Especially the SLS profile which is the extra thin C IIRC.

Zado

Reaction score
Schecs are better spec wise. In every other department ESP kicks.

cardinal

Buys guitars, sometimes plays them
Reaction score
E-IIs are great IME. Recent Korean guitars can be very good to; some times the fretwork/level is not the best but often I've found the action can go as low as fancier MIJ stuff.

There are little things like the fret end finishing is nicer on the E-IIs IME. If you can't play first, the E-II is a safer bet from a QC perspective.

Some new E-IIs have stainless frets. I'm not even sure I like SS frets. Sorta feels like they are so slippery that I end up pushing down harder with my fretting fingers? I'm not sure, but lately I consistently prefer the feel of my guitars that have nickel frets and I'm not sure why. But that slick feeling of SS is nice in its own way.

TheWarAgainstTime

"TWAT" for short
Reaction score
Not the specific models you mentioned, but I've played and worked on a handful of recent Korean-made LTD and Schecter guitars and they've all been solid aside from some minor finish flaws and the occasional sharp fret end. The factory setups have not been consistent as far as action, intonation, neck relief, and so on, but those are all things you would dial in with your specific strings/tuning and preferences anyway.

I also own an E-II M-I that I feel is generally higher quality and tighter on QC, pretty much exactly in line with what I'd expect for the price difference. I would have preferred stainless frets, but I haven't had issues with premature wear or oxidation on the M-I like I have on cheaper guitars with nickel frets. I just polish them up every couple of string changes and they stay smooth.

Hoss632

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Have not played an E-II ESP yet. But I have played a few SLS Elite's. Very very solidly built guitars for the money IMO. All the Korean made Schecter's I've tried have been solid though. E-II releases for 2023 have been upgraded to stainless frets as well so at least they are even new vs new now days. Definitely worth finding one of each at a local shop and playing then to see which one you think feels better in hand.

KnightBrolaire

SSO's unofficial pickup tester
Reaction score
IME E-iis are better guitars than korean schecters, mostly in the fretwork area. E-iis have nicely dressed fret ends, which I've never seen on a production Schecter. The general qc at E-ii is better in terms of fit/finish as well. I haven't seen binding issues or clear coat issues like I have with some Korean Schecters.
The M-i and Horizon E-iis I've tried were impeccable in terms of fit/finish and factory setup. The Mach/SLS I've tried are a bit less consistent, but still very good guitars.

At current new prices for an E-ii I really can't recommend them over a Schecter though.
A used E-ii is very hard to beat in terms of bang for your buck ime though.

Last edited:

Yul Brynner

Custom title
Reaction score
I had a Korean BCR ASM Pro and an ESP SS MIIUC both with the same specs. Blindfolded, you wouldn't be able to tell them apart. They both felt and sounded exactly the same. I would easily put the Korean World Guitar made stuff on par with Japanese standard factory stuff like EII and Ibanez Prestige.

groverj3

Bioinformagician
Reaction score
The gap is smaller than ever. ESP wins on aesthetics though Schecter has gotten better there. Is an EII like... $1500 better (minimum) than a Korean instrument? I don't think so, but that's just me.

Latest posts