Korg apparently makes a bass-specific pedal tuner

• Thread starter nightsprinter
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

nightsprinter

resident pat metheny fanatic
Contributor
Reaction score
https://www.korg.com/us/products/tuners/pbxsbass/

My peterson tuner handles low notes no problem, and to be honest, the clip-on tuners seem to do okay in a quick pinch too.

Seems to average a bit under $100.

PB-XS_5834.jpg

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Weird... Is this brand new or has it been around for a while?

Screamingdaisy

Reaction score
I could see it being a thing for the G and below crowd. I'd have to double check, but I think somewhere around G is where most of my tuners fall off.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I could see it being a thing for the G and below crowd. I'd have to double check, but I think somewhere around G is where most of my tuners fall off.

It's just dubious whether it's actually anything different or special.

For what it's worth, any true strobe tuner shouldn't have any limitations as far as what's audible. The trick is getting a display that works in real time. Which is why the basic LED setup of the Sonic Research Turbo Tuner is more ideal than the fancier displays, hence the greater accuracy and the feel of better tracking.

AltecGreen

Reaction score
Weird... Is this brand new or has it been around for a while?
Korg tuners have been around for a long time. Fairly popular in Japan. This unit is new to the tuner lineup.

Korgs are more common in Japan than SOnic Research or Peterson. They are a common sight on Japanese pedal boards. This new unit seemed to have dropped without much fanfare.

gnoll

Reaction score
Korg are pretty big, are you guys not into synths?

I think they own Vox?

Anyway I would trust Korg to make a good tuner. They've done about a million cool things.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score

I think they own Vox?

Anyway I would trust Korg to make a good tuner. They've done about a million cool things.

Korg makes beautiful tuners that are just okay.

nightsprinter

resident pat metheny fanatic
Contributor
Reaction score

I think they own Vox?

I misinterpreted the question and thought he was asking if the item is brand new, not if the brand was new.

I figure everyone knows who Korg is. Isn't this the "Smoke On The Water" of tuners?

korg-ca-30-12544.jpg

StevenC

Needs a hobby
Reaction score
It's just dubious whether it's actually anything different or special.

For what it's worth, any true strobe tuner shouldn't have any limitations as far as what's audible. The trick is getting a display that works in real time. Which is why the basic LED setup of the Sonic Research Turbo Tuner is more ideal than the fancier displays, hence the greater accuracy and the feel of better tracking.
I have a Turbo Tuner and it's the only tuner I have that I can tune the open strings on my 8s and not have to use harmonics.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I have a Turbo Tuner and it's the only tuner I have that I can tune the open strings on my 8s and not have to use harmonics.

Mine works just fine down to F# on my Dingwalls.

Digging a little deeper, Korg claims this reads down to C0, which is impressive in itself...but not at all standout/unique among strobe tuners of similar price and format from other manufacturers that have been available for some time.

It is a pretty tuner, from a solid brand, priced fair, and will do just fine for what it's being advertised for. But still not the best tuner by any objective measure.

gnoll

Reaction score
I misinterpreted the question and thought he was asking if the item is brand new, not if the brand was new.

I figure everyone knows who Korg is. Isn't this the "Smoke On The Water" of tuners?

View attachment 144063

Ohhhh like is this thing brand new, yeah I mean that would make sense... I was just like whaat, Korg aren't a new brand, they've been making cool stuff forever! But the original question was probably about the tuner being brand new. Confusing stuff.

And I think I have one of those in a drawer somewhere, lol.

Wiltonauer

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I’ve got the metronome from that series. It’s pretty sweet. Has a tunable electronic pitch-pipe function. Sounds like the 1981 Dungeons & Dragons Computer Fantasy Game.

Screamingdaisy

Reaction score
It's a tuner. If you like it, buy it. If you don't like it, don't buy it.

(edit - I had a snarkier response, but I decided to tone it back)

Last edited:

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
So for about $20 - $40 you can get the Turbo Tuner or Peterson Strobostomp HD or Mini, all 3 of which will most likely be faster, more accurate, and handle low tunings as well.