Korn's (head's) guitar tone from 2002 live at Hammerstein dvd

Thee2131

Reaction score
Has anyone out there tried to recreate head's guitar tone from their 2002 live at the Hammerstein DVD? Just curious if anyone has got close, and maybe some advice on how to get it

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ZXIIIT

XIII
Reaction score
This help?
korn_head_guitar_rig_2002.jpg

And this ;)

Veldar

Is Post-Thrash?
Reaction score
So Korn don't use noise gates?

Posted from Sevenstring.org App for Android

MF_Kitten

Set up us the bomb
Reaction score
So Korn don't use noise gates?

Posted from Sevenstring.org App for Android

nope, they never did. They never used that much gain or even that type of distortion that would benefit from noise gates. Very raw.

Ben.Last

Formerly Lern2Swim
Reaction score
Yeah. They've never really even been big on palm muting either, so the noise, as it were, just kind of incorporates itself into their sound.

Thee2131

Reaction score
Zomb13,
you seem pretty knowledgeable about getting a korn tone so I figured you are probably the best person to ask. I have a digitech rp1000 w/ a rather crappy, inexpensive amp, and an rg7321. Since you posted me that setup I have messed around w/ the digitech and got an ok sound I guess. I know I'll never get an exact tone like they had, but I'm wondering if I'm trying these effects in wrong combination, perhaps... The best I can compare Head's guitar tone to in that DVD is an 18 wheeler truck engine. I love that sound and no matter how much research I do or experimenting w/ turning knobs, I can't get anything close to it. Again, I realize it's probably the gear, or lack there of, keeping me from getting that truck engine sound. But, I thought I'd give one more stab at it. Any input would be great. Thanks again.
I don't play in a band or do shows. Just a guy that loves korn and playing along w/ their music.

Ben.Last

Formerly Lern2Swim
Reaction score
Zomb13,
you seem pretty knowledgeable about getting a korn tone so I figured you are probably the best person to ask. I have a digitech rp1000 w/ a rather crappy, inexpensive amp, and an rg7321. Since you posted me that setup I have messed around w/ the digitech and got an ok sound I guess. I know I'll never get an exact tone like they had, but I'm wondering if I'm trying these effects in wrong combination, perhaps... The best I can compare Head's guitar tone to in that DVD is an 18 wheeler truck engine. I love that sound and no matter how much research I do or experimenting w/ turning knobs, I can't get anything close to it. Again, I realize it's probably the gear, or lack there of, keeping me from getting that truck engine sound. But, I thought I'd give one more stab at it. Any input would be great. Thanks again.
I don't play in a band or do shows. Just a guy that loves korn and playing along w/ their music.

Are you comparing the sound of you playing to their recorded tones?

Thee2131

Reaction score
No, to the live at the Hammerstein DVD. I can get pretty close to their record songs by using the big muff. I'd really like a tone that's close to There Hammerstein DVD.

ZXIIIT

XIII
Reaction score
Zomb13,

It'll be pretty tricky getting that tone with that gear, what pickups do you have in the RG7321?

I'd suggest getting the same gear he was using on that DVD.

Start off with
DiMarzio PAF 7 pickups
String gauges: .010 .013 .017 .030 .042 .052 .060

Hunt down a Mesa Boogie Triple Rectifier with cab (expensive, I know :/ )

Have you tried digital modeling VSTs? Mess around with Mesa models, as that is what they use mostly.

The big muff + EQ pedal can help too with a cheaper head/cab.

Thee2131

Reaction score
I put in paf 7's a couple months ago. As for the strings, I have those size gauges with thE exception of the low string. I'm sure I'll catch crap for saying this, but I did put a bass string on it. I'm not familiar w/ the vst's. I did look it up and it sounds pretty cool. However, my fiancée bought me this nice pedal (digitech 1000) for my bday so I'm obligated to use it lol. I do use the triple rectifier on it and turn the gain down to 10. As far as the eq on it, I do feel like that could be one of the issues. I typically run the bass high 10, mids low (3.5), and treble moderately (7-8).

Ben.Last

Formerly Lern2Swim
Reaction score
No, to the live at the Hammerstein DVD. I can get pretty close to their record songs by using the big muff. I'd really like a tone that's close to There Hammerstein DVD.

I will have to go back and rewatch it, but I'd be willing to bet that there's a decent amount of overdubbing and eq work, despite the fact that it's "live."

point being, there's going to be a lot of factors that go into the tone on that DVD in addition to his gear and playing.

Ben.Last

Formerly Lern2Swim
Reaction score
Just rewatched some of the DVD. Any post processing aside, I think a big part of what's going on with his tone beyond what you've got already is also that it's a recording of a lot of air being pushed and a lot of volume.

(Also, watching this again reminded me of how much I absolutely HATE the editing on this video)

Thee2131

Reaction score
You bring uP a good point about overdubbing and eq. I see live in the title and assume everything I hear is from what they're playing on stage. It would make more sense to me how head was able to play that truck engine distortion and have incredible clear highs at the same time, more so noted in "Faget." well thanks everyone for the advice and input. Feel like I can put it to rest and play along happily w/o worrying about tone so much now.

ZXIIIT

XIII
Reaction score
Awesome, even then, just get it to where you're happy with it, as even having the right gear to match it will be a long process.

The ISO cabinet and combination of Diezel + Boogie is what sounds huge also.

Thee2131

Reaction score
Yeah, Mesas are on my list of things to get when I one day have money lol. I am very curious about the diezel too. You did make me think of another ? I have Been trying to figure out. I am under the impression that iso cab's are used for recording. Am I right about that?

Ben.Last

Formerly Lern2Swim
Reaction score
Bigger bands will use them for live sound a lot as the source for what goes to FOH.