KSR/Rhodes Gemini, is it my best option?

• Thread starter Peteus
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Peteus

Reaction score
I played a KSR colossus a while back and I fell in love with it. I currently own a Kemper (powered), Fryette Sig x and ENGL savage 120. Which is far too many amps. I'm trying to reduce the number of amps I own.
I'm keeping the kemper because it's far too useful. But, I'm considering selling either a single amp or both to fund grabbing a Gemini because it's a Colossus with more voicing.

I play death metal, progressive/techy metal, not really going for a djent tone more of a tight modern metal tone. The Sig X and Savage have the tightness but, they don't have the flowing tone of a 5150. I also like the 5150 iii but, I get the feeling that ksr gemini is a better amp. Any suggestions of other amps to look at?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jrui

Reaction score
I think gemini is my best option of rhodes amps ,too

but to me , every amp have their own voice , I love them all .
every amp have their best way of use
you are right KSR is better , sound quality / building quality / versatality
I suggest don't sell one if you think you have a better one , if they suit your style , keep them.

dhgrind

Reaction score
never tried either of the aforementioned amps but i really did enjoy playing my friends gemini while he lived with me. I've now got the ARES, sometimes i feel like i should've forked over the little extra for the extra channel and features.

i think the gemini is great.

Hachetjoel

Ibanez whore
Contributor
Reaction score
Look no further than the Gemini.

pylo is going to come in here and tell you they suck and you should get a friedman. but i highly recommend anything ksr, for modern metal tone they really just can't be beat.

jerm

Reaction score
Gemini or Colossus should fit the bill. Maybe even a REVV Generator or Archon.

Profiles of them would be a bonus! :p

Hachetjoel

Ibanez whore
Contributor
Reaction score
I would say ksr over archon, I love the archon, but its a bit dry and stiff so if he doesnt like the sig x because its missing something he'll probably feel similarly about the archon. amazing amp though

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
What exactly does it do that your other amps don't, and is there a very simple free/cheap solution to that issue?

Peteus

Reaction score
What exactly does it do that your other amps don't, and is there a very simple free/cheap solution to that issue?

I guess I love the sound of the sig x it's purely the flowing feeling the guitar gives you. That was there in the ksr. I get the feeling I could get a 5150 iii to do a similar job but, the ksr just felt like more. But, it is anoyingly it also costs a hell of a lot more.

protest

Reaction score
Are you in Sheffield, UK? If so I would look into a D-Moll before the KSR. I have a Colossus and its awesome, but I know Diezels are pretty nicely priced in Europe.

If you like one of your amp's better than the other than I would keep that one. If not, the Sig X is going to be pretty unique compared to other modern high gain heads, whereas the Engl is going to be more similar.

4Eyes

Reaction score
Are you in Sheffield, UK? If so I would look into a D-Moll before the KSR. I have a Colossus and its awesome, but I know Diezels are pretty nicely priced in Europe.
friend had one, it's without doubt great amp, but if we are talking about tight tone, it's not an amp to look for.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
I guess I love the sound of the sig x it's purely the flowing feeling the guitar gives you. That was there in the ksr. I get the feeling I could get a 5150 iii to do a similar job but, the ksr just felt like more. But, it is anoyingly it also costs a hell of a lot more.

Sounds like an EQ pedal and minor tweaking of the Sig X is gonna get you there for 50 squiggles as opposed to 5000 squiggles haha.

Latest posts