Laney Irt Studio 15w vs. Irt 60w -silent recording-

Remy Corral

Reaction score
Hey guys!
I'm sorry if there is an earlier thread about this, but I've searched for so long now, and have not found it jet.. So here we go:)
The sound I'm looking for is.. Metal! I guess I would call it a thick, fat, punchy right in your face, kicking you in the nuts :shred: sound. "By using only one of these laney amps"

IF YOU DON'T WANT TO READ TO MUCH SHIT, JUST GO TO THE BOTTOM LINE

I used to be pretty much happy about my Roland cube 30x, actually I'm still impressed by the sound of that cheap amp! :)
Unfortunatley I payed a little visit to my local guitarstore, and came across this Awsome Laney irt studio 15w and it has this built in cabinet simulator etc. For easy recording, silently "wich is the only way I'll ever be able record.., unless my girlfriend turns deaf or something..:)"

I've watched tons of videos, and online reviews, and it seems to be a pretty bad ass amp for my use.. But as I keep looking, I can't help my self from looking at the Laney irt 60h, which has the 6L6 power tubes, instead of the EL84s and.. Its only a couple of houndred dollars more expensive.. It has not the built in cab simulator etc.. Not so important.

My question is. If I use a decent cab simulator footswitch, or a software. I guess I'll need a dummy load if using software cab..
Will it be worth the money to buy the Ironheart 60w, instead of the irt studio 15w? It has 6L6 tubes, instead of the EL84s:)

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

NeuroTrem

neurotrem
Reaction score
Yeah you'll need a dummy load after running it into the DI. I don't know the exact science, but I have heard people say that its better to run a dummy load as it spares the amp. :nuts:
The IRT15 Studio comes with a cab emulated DI output with a dummy load. I have a Behringer DI box and in the manual it was specifically mentioned to use a dummy load.

ctgblue

finally got seven
Reaction score
I've got an IRT Studio. I run into the 1 watt input exclusively. I get great metal tone (sans the heavy low end - 1 watt) at easy volumes. trust me, you can't max the volumes at the 1 watt input without waking the house.
I also had the IRT60 last year. Both are great, very similar tones. If it's recording you want to do, the 15 will give you a very similar metal tone and you have all the recording interfaces you need, including direct USB and re-amping options.

I may sell my 15, but only because I'm using the Engl most of the time (combo) and I'm a complete gear whore, not because of any lack of tone. I need to get back down to one amp if I can.

But between the 15 and 60, unless you're playing outdoors, you'll never get either loud enough for a noticeable difference in tone. The only thing I did to the Laney's to 'metal them more' is put a $29 Danelectro Fish n Chips EQ through the loops.

hope this helps