Languages, accents, and Top Gear.. ?!

• Thread starter somniumaeternum
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

somniumaeternum

Reaction score
Random thought!

I've been watching wayy to much Top Gear lately and now I'm starting to think in a British accent. :lol:

I'm not sure if it's because English isn't my first language and the American accent isn't engrained in my being or whatever. It's pretty hilarious though.

Thinking about it... I'm not sure if there can to much Top Gear watching.

Carry on!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Grand Moff Tim

Some call me... Tim
Reaction score
There are a few words I think of in Clarkson's voice, and american english is my native language. For example, "Saint Bernard." I'd feel goofy saying it aloud like he does insted of how I was raised saying it, but ever since hearing him say it it's how I say it in my head.

somniumaeternum

Reaction score
There are a few words I think of in Clarkson's voice, and american english is my native language. For example, "Saint Bernard." I'd feel goofy saying it aloud like he does insted of how I was raised saying it, but ever since hearing him say it it's how I say it in my head.

lol yeah. or

"that's rubbish!"
"..just incredible!"
"what?"

I wish I could say "quid" here without people thinking I'm.. well.. foreign.

AcousticMinja

String Theorist
Contributor
Reaction score
One of the greatest shows of all time. Period.

James May's voice sometimes crosses my mind when I think of video games.

FMG

Reaction score
You can never watch enough Top Gear!
Top Gear is really popular here in the UK, but I didn't think other countries would know about it - Is it popular there too?

Grand Moff Tim

Some call me... Tim
Reaction score
You can never watch enough Top Gear!
Top Gear is really popular here in the UK, but I didn't think other countries would know about it - Is it popular there too?

It's popular enough that they made a shitty American version. I'll stick with watching the original on BBC America.

Ishan

Giant Fridge Magnet
Contributor
Reaction score
I love top gear! It's not so popular here (we have crappy car shows instead) but I used to watch it on the Discovery Channel. Now I don't have cable anymore :(
Waiting for my DSL set-top box tho :D
I discovered the show by following Hammond from Brainiac to Top Gear, funny little man :)

Hemi-Powered Drone

Dragonblade629
Reaction score
Recently I've watched a lot of Top Gear, As well as Doctor Who and Being Human, so my thoughts seem to be in a British accent. Whenever I think about cars, which is a lot, having a Chemistry teacher that's really into cars, it always happens to be in Hammond's voice.

vampiregenocide

Reaction score
Wierdly, I actually think in an American accent. Sometimes I speak in it when saying jokes and shit, no idea why.

AcousticMinja

String Theorist
Contributor
Reaction score
I work at carmax, and I make a lot of top gear related comments about the cars. Sometimes in an accent. It's fucking fun.

The american version was terribad.

On another note, does anyone ever watch some of the older top gear stuff? (like 90's, etc) Those episodes are hilarious as well.

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
^ :agreed:

Whenever I imagine something, it's always in an American accent because I've seen lots of American films.
Also, whenever I imagine explaining something to somebody when I'm not entirely sure what to say (job interviews, etc), I hear it in a German or Scandinavian. They sound so elegant talking English, and any pauses, umms and errs just sound really clever :lol:

vampiregenocide

Reaction score
I start speaking in a Russian accent quite a lot. I've formed an alter ego of sorts which I might be doing a podcast as called 'Sergei's Happy Hour' in which I speak about various news stories and topics, while drinking lots of vodka (I barely drink normally and have never been drunk).

PeteyG

Big Bear
Reaction score
I've been told I have slight tinges of American in my accent, but I put that down to living with an American for a few months and being around her for large portions of time.

Top Gear is good, but I can only watch about 3 episodes within a short time space before getting tired of it.

jymellis

Talk To DeWalt
Reaction score
I've been told I have slight tinges of American in my accent, but I put that down to living with an American for a few months and being around her for large portions of time.

Top Gear is good, but I can only watch about 3 episodes within a short time space before getting tired of it.

[]

just so you know i have yet to hear an american say "im petey g and i have tootsies:fawk::lol:

Scar Symmetry

Ex Whiny Bitch
Reaction score
At my work we talk to each other in South African accents all day long.

I couldn't tell you why.