Late NPD: Flesh Rot Distortion! And NAD!

Gmork

Reaction score
Ok full disclosure, this heavy earth sent the fleshrot to me to demo but my pitiful tiny yt channel is SOOOO beyond anywhere from being monetizable, i do it for fun and the love of pedals. I love video editing and put so much work into it and love sharing it with people who might dig it.

Anyway... This is some super brutal death metal tones here! Enjoy!!
For the vid I was going for resident evil vibes with strange characters and horrid secrets hidden away🙃

Signal is my stock bc rich platinum ironbird into the fleshrot into my new rectoverb 50 combo with 2 peavey mics (1 just off center & 1 near edge of cone)
Song is double tracked and hard panned, single mono track out of the mix around 1:40 into the vid.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Gmork

Reaction score
I for one enjoy your videos sir, and your passion for music and gear really comes through in them. Glad to see you getting some gear to review!
Thanks turd 😄 its simply a fun creative outlet for me. I love writing songs without the weight of putting out actual releases (though i really need to get on that some day before im dead lol) and love the process of recording, mixing and video editing. I can just sit for days doing this stuff, i love it.

complex-barb.0t

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I have one and like it, but was annoyed the first batch has a high pitched feedback squeal if you don’t use a buffer in front of it or active pickups.

It sounded like at first Shea was going to offer a replacement board for these, but nothing ever came of it.

complex-barb.0t

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
“””FleshRot2 can result in oscillation (squeal) when pres/treble and gain are turned up. I have been able to replicate this and luckily due to the nature of how I design pedals to be modular, I will be able to send out a fix to all users at no charge with instructions. I'm just identifying which is the easiest way to implement this fix. In the meantime, this can be simply solved by placing an always on buffer in front of FleshRot2.”””

Gmork

Reaction score
“””FleshRot2 can result in oscillation (squeal) when pres/treble and gain are turned up. I have been able to replicate this and luckily due to the nature of how I design pedals to be modular, I will be able to send out a fix to all users at no charge with instructions. I'm just identifying which is the easiest way to implement this fix. In the meantime, this can be simply solved by placing an always on buffer in front of FleshRot2.”””
Mines ver2 and if the gain is dimed it does feedback but back off just a tiny nudge and its gone, haven't noticed anything else. Its eq IS very strong so treble can get pretty extreme and harsh when pushed, i actually prefer it at around 10-11oclock. Strangely i think everything at around there sounds optimal (imo) except bass which i like higher.

complex-barb.0t

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Mines ver2 and if the gain is dimed it does feedback but back off just a tiny nudge and its gone, haven't noticed anything else. Its eq IS very strong so treble can get pretty extreme and harsh when pushed, i actually prefer it at around 10-11oclock. Strangely i think everything at around there sounds optimal (imo) except bass which i like higher.
Yeah I don’t think it was completely eliminated in the V2. Best to run a buffered pedal or pickups out front. Or of course use a more reasonable amount of gain.

I think I will reach out and just pay to get my V1 converted. Nobody in the future that knows of the issue will want a V1.

THE is coming out with an amp version. I will for sure wait for the bugs to be ironed out before considering it.

Gmork

Reaction score
@complex-barb.0t The feedback at full gain is technically an issue but really its a non issue imo because honestly you nudge it just a tiny bit less and it goes away. Still IS a thing that shouldnt be there but its not a huge deal.

@MetalDaze i cant A/B them but am sure they can most likely be dialed in to match pretty close. I do know 100% that the vhd is 100% identical to the vh140 though as i have A/B it to the actual amp.
The fleshrot has way more controls and can get more tones so def more versatile. It can sound VERY good in various different settings when dialed in but it can also be dialed in to sound like crap as the treble control is sensitive and seems to have a peak on a pretty harsh frequency, like around 4khz. But thats a case of user error, it can pretty much nail those tight vh140/engl type tech death tones really well.

Having said all that, i personally love simplicity and adore the vhd. You cant dial it in to sound bad. Its just awesome and simple!

Grindspine

likes pointy things
Reaction score
Ok full disclosure, this heavy earth sent the fleshrot to me to demo but my pitiful tiny yt channel is SOOOO beyond anywhere from being monetizable, i do it for fun and the love of pedals. I love video editing and put so much work into it and love sharing it with people who might dig it.

For the vid I was going for resident evil vibes with strange characters and horrid secrets hidden away🙃

Signal is my stock bc rich platinum ironbird into the fleshrot into my new rectoverb 50 combo with 2 peavey mics (1 just off center & 1 near edge of cone)
Song is double tracked and hard panned, single mono track out of the mix around 1:40 into the vid.

That sounds like some great 1990 era death metal tone, especially with the fretless bass rhythm. The guitars have a nice gnarliness to them. The zombies were great actors... Those were actors, right?

Gmork

Reaction score
That sounds like some great 1990 era death metal tone, especially with the fretless bass rhythm. The guitars have a nice gnarliness to them. The zombies were great actors... Those were actors, right?
Not a fretless bass, its a bc rich beast bass. And thanks! Im super happy with the tone i got! Those WERE actual zombies btw

Lechmere

SS.org Regular
Reaction score

Where you running into the front of the amp or into the fx loop?

Gmork

Reaction score
Where you running into the front of the amp or into the fx loop?
Into the clean ch of my rectoverb50 combo. It has the stupid 10%-90% parallel fx loop, so pretty useless. Luckly pedals sound awesome straight in